3rd day into reclaiming quilt room

Old January 7th 04, 03:39 AM
Susan Laity Price

One of my friends said she knew the children had grown-up when she was
able to replace all the plastic glasses with real glass tumblers. I
agree. We still have a few Tupperware glasses but they aren't used
very often. Susan

On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 17:29:43 -0600, Julia in MN
wrote:

We apparently aren't too hard on glasses. We've been married almost 37
years and recently broke another of the 12 or so glasses my brother gave
us when we got married. Still have 3 left. Of course, we've gone through
quite a few other glasses. Most of those from the fast food places
didn't last a long time. My glasses are getting to look pretty tough
from the dishwasher, so I think I may be replacing some before too long.
But the old ones will be thrown when that happens.

Julia in MN

Old January 7th 04, 03:44 AM
AliceW

There isn't a glass that is safe around my house, not with my DH. He's even
broken a Corelle dish! Funny thing though, he breaks the good stuff. But
the free wine glasses from Arby's have just seen their second Christmas! Go
figure.

--
Alice in NJ, Royal Cybrarian
www.ourcyberfamily.us

Old January 7th 04, 04:21 AM
Jalynne

OOOOH, i broke a Corelle dish once, and it shattered into a million pieces. Shredded
my legs to ribbons. I just got rid of the last of them this past fall, and have
"real"dishes now...LOL.
--
Jalynne - Keeper of the Quilt for ME club list

Old January 7th 04, 06:56 AM
Butterfly

When I purchased the set of dishes--they had 8 place settings and ONLY 4
glasses and 4 mugs to match them.no cup/saucers either.BUT I finally have a
set of 8 in dishes and a 'set of 4glasses/4cups' for drinking 'thingies' .
When we had Cmas company--it worked out perfectly--4 used glasses and 4 used
cups for their choice of Beverage : )
Butterfly (and I don't think anyone noticed )
"Jalynne" wrote in message
link.net...
I am quite the opposite. I have to have 8 matching glasses at all times.

To match
my dishes...8 place settings. I'm insane, and happily so. Good news is,

that I get
rid of the glasses that are "extra" so i don't accumulate too much stuff.
--
Jalynne - Keeper of the Quilt for ME club list

"Butterfly" wrote in message
Drinking glasses? Do NOT, repeat, do NOT go to my cupboards and expect

find a set of them....you won't. I have this really strange habit of
dropping things like glasses /dishes/ you know the stuff you usually

have
SETS of......
hmmmmm, maybe I should hit a few garage sales this summer and actually

BUY a
set of glasses--then it might not bother me too much when I drop

them......
Butterfly (I have ONE set of glasses that are only used for very special
occasions--just so I can SAY I have 4 matching glasses---weren't those

the
10 cent glasses you got this summer? : )
"Diana Curtis" wrote in message
Im not horrified, and I think to some extent most of us can relate in

one
way or another. Its so easy to aquire *things* nowadays and so hard to

get
rid of them that its made us into a nation of packrats with to much

stuff!
Just watch the plethora of shows on cable channels dealing with

organizing
'stuff'. Its horrifying! And we keep buying MORE. If you dont believe

me
go
to any decent sized garage sale and look at how many drinking glasses

are
for sale.
Just so you know, this rant doesnt apply to quilt and craft books,
supplies, tools or materials. The key to keeping those from being a

problem
is good storage techniques. ;-)

Diana
--
Queen of FAQs
Royal Peace Maker

"cozy" wrote ...
Diana.. wow, I'm glad people are enjoying my efforts... I have to

admit
that
before I began sharing it I was a little scared, thinking people

would
be
horrified at the state of mess I have going here!

Old January 7th 04, 07:04 AM
Butterfly

I have 3 plates 1 saucer and 2 bowls left of them. DH got them for me when I
was at my 'worst' of breaking stuff.
They aren't suppose to break Honey......

Butterfly (yeah right).
hlink.net...

Old January 7th 04, 07:09 AM
Jalynne

ROFL, yep...i know no one ELSE would notice, but if it's in my home, it drives me
absolutely bonkers.

Old January 7th 04, 08:22 AM
cozy

today my mom and I had a wonderful time, I returned home around 7:30pm and
goofed around awhile. Then around midnight I went back into the 'pit'.
I worked on top the table, moving scrapbook supplies, odd quilting notions
like the little 6" square up, 4 different rotary cutters, bobbins, various
containers like old candy tins with stuff in them, and (drum roll) the
Wittman's candy box has arrived! It's was opened and found to have lots of
goodies inside, like a heart shaped chalk wheel, varioius packs of different
size quilting needles, 2 thimbles, several quilting threads that match the
different projects I had last been working on (a million years ago), a tiny
pair of scizzors that had a piece of yarn tied thru one finger hole and the
other end tied thru a spool of thread. Ha, ha, my cheap/lazy answer to the
ones you make by hand, but take all day. This way the yarn goes around your
neck and you have your thread and scizzors RIGHT there to snip a new piece
without budging and chasing falling/tumbling spools, a roll of 1/4" quilting
tape, and one of those tiny little pin cusions that fit in a plastic pop
bottle cap and have elastic to go around your finger - which that part seems
to be missing....hmmmmm and a cross stitch needle!
OK, this is getting pretty good, but tomorrow I will continue to clean
this room, as I need to verify just what all this stuff is and separate out
the 'garbage' that don't belong in there that is taking up valuable room
that I could be playing in!

Old January 7th 04, 11:50 AM
Patti

Hullo Cozy
I think I'm as excited as you are that the candy box of goodies has
surfaced!
I wonder if you took a photograph of the 'before' situation?! This
would be one terrific 'before' and 'after' comparison, by the sound of
it g
But, I dare say you didn't, because you never dreamt you would be so
successful, did you? g
Just imagine, a week or so intensive work and you have 'created'
something marvellous.
..
In article , cozy
writes
[...]

Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old January 7th 04, 01:46 PM
Queen of Squishies

Me too! It's even helping me with my packing, because that's the same kind
of way I do all this work. Just like she's doing hers!

Karen, Queen of Squishies

Old January 7th 04, 02:34 PM
Julia in MN

Corelle dinnerware was quite new when we got married in 1967. We were
registering for china and the jewelry store sales person was trying to
sell us on Corelle. She emphasized it's unbreakability, and to
demonstrate it, she took a cup and hit a saucer. The saucer promptly
broke. She decided it was a fluke, tried it again, and broke another
saucer.

We have corelle dinnerware for our "everyday" dishes. I like them
because they are durable and compact to store. They do chip and break.

Julia in MN

http://mail.chartermi.net/~jaccola/