OT TEETHING!!!!!

Old December 20th 03, 11:24 PM
Sharon Harper

But if he doesn't like chewing on fabric.... I mean really!

--
Sharon From Melbourne Australia (Queen of Down Under)
http://www.geocities.com/shazrules/index.html

"melinda" wrote in message
Sharon Harper wrote:
So I take it he ain't gunna be a quilter?

Dunno yet, he does like the quilt I made him though.

--
Melinda
http://cust.idl.com.au/athol

Old December 21st 03, 12:29 AM
melinda

Kate Dicey wrote:
melinda wrote:

DS is most definetley teething, I can feel one!
But he will not sleep during the day and is very
unsettled, not crying just whingey - very whingey

HELP!

Tooth jelly! There are pain soothing jels available for easing this.
Unfortunately you will encounter bouts of this upset untill all the
teeth are through. Also, give him something to bite! There are
teething rings available that you can put in the freezer that are quite
good.

I only noticed that his first tooth had just poked through the gum yesterday
because I stuck my finger in his mouth! He also rolled over by himself the
first time yesterday afternoon. He chews on several things, he has a teething
rattle with rubbery bits on it, a teddy bear wrist rattle - he likes to chew
on it's nose, and sometimes he'll like to chew on cool, wet cloth. He's
actually sleeping this morning, after his first feed, so I think the worst
may be over for now.

--
Melinda
http://cust.idl.com.au/athol
Old December 21st 03, 12:34 AM
melinda

The Brown Family wrote:
Melinda, have you tried using Oragel (sp?)......or one of those teething
ointments....sometimes they help.

I only found his tooth poking through yesterday, so I don't have anything
like that around to put on his gums. It's not reccommended to use those
unless the baby is really unsettled.

--
Melinda
http://cust.idl.com.au/athol
Old December 21st 03, 12:39 AM
AliceW

Our family has a tradition that the person who finds the first tooth, buys
the first pair of shoes.

--
Alice in NJ, Royal Cybrarian
www.ourcyberfamily.us

Old December 21st 03, 02:05 AM
melinda

Sharon Harper wrote:
But if he doesn't like chewing on fabric.... I mean really!

Sometimes he does, he was just very unsettled yesterday. He slept
a couple of hours late afternoon, 9 hours over night, and so far
a couple of hours this morning, which is just as well cause we're
off to DH's family gathering for Xmas afternoon tea. Hopefully
we can organise something with one of his brothers so we can
complete our trilogy watching of LOTR for his two eldest for
their Xmas present.

--
Melinda
http://cust.idl.com.au/athol
Old December 21st 03, 03:06 AM
nzl*

ever use any homeopathic remedys?
thinking back....i think its chamomille for grizzly teething babys.
worth a quick check on the phone with someone if you use them at all.
i had a full kit of various remedys when the kids were little.
used them from about 3 or 4 months old with no problems at all.
crushed the tablets between two spoons.
the powder then sticks to the inside of their mouth.
the perfect place to absorb them.
just another possible to consider.
jeanne
http://community.webshots.com/user/nzlstar

Old December 21st 03, 03:08 AM
AlenasMom

Our babies are so close in age!!!
Alena's 5 1/2 month too
I've found that a wet facecloth works wonders!

"melinda" wrote in message
nzl* wrote:
i cant recall how old he is now.

About 5 1/2 months, had 6 month check up yesterday - 9kg dressed 70cm
long and he rolled over by himself this afternoon!

he might need something cool to chew/suck on.
how about an ice cube of natural applesauce wrapped in some baby

muslin.
just use a piece big enough to tie a good knot in the end so nothing

falls
out.

He loves apple stuff, he's been getting solids since 4 months and much
prefers rice cereal with apple to plain rice cereal.

he'll need a really good bib with it too.
the applesauce is one of the first baby foods so should be ok to

digest.
otherwise, find one of those teething rings you can freeze for him to

hang
on to and gnaw on all day.

I've got a self feeding spoon (vame in set of three) for him that I can
put in the fridge to chill for him...

something in that order anyhow.
its been awhile since i went thru that.
it can be a short procedure or a very long sleepless night type one. at
least in summer the frozen stuff helps keep him cool too.

So far he's still sleeping at least 8 hours at night, just not much

during
the day, doesn't help with the weather being so hot and humid.

good luck,

Thanks, I think I'm gunna need it!

--
Melinda
http://cust.idl.com.au/athol

Old December 21st 03, 03:13 AM
D&D

DD liked cold green beans to chew on when she was teething or another feed.
That was the main indication that she was teething wanting to feed more
often.

Dee in Oz

Old December 21st 03, 08:11 AM
A Joy in Hawaii

melinda wrote in message ...
DS is most definetley teething, I can feel one!
But he will not sleep during the day and is very
unsettled, not crying just whingey - very whingey

HELP!

Go get a pillow. Now put your face in it. Let us scream
together....AAAAAAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!

Ahhhh, doesn't that feel better? Jacob is 8 1/2 months old and has
not ONE tooth yet but seems to be teething FOREVER. So far, I have
tried Orajel with him but it just seems to irritate him to have a numb
mouth. I used Orajel with DD1 and DD2 and sometimes it worked,
sometimes it just aggravated (sp?) them more. So did the cold wet
washcloth. Tylenol drops worked great to get the edge off. They all
seem to enjoy chewing on my finger most of all. They enjoyed teething
biscuits but I don't like to clean up the mess afterwards.

I will definitely try the frozen bagel, though. Let us know what you
end up trying next.

Hang in there. Sometimes I got all three kids
crying/screaming/nagging at once and want to rip out all the hair on
my head...but it's a temporary feeling. Sometimes distracting him
(and distracting you) by going outside for a change in scenery, some
sun, and fresh air, will ease both of you.

A Joy in Hawaii
Old December 21st 03, 02:16 PM
NightMist

On 20 Dec 2003 23:34:22 GMT, melinda wrote:

The Brown Family wrote:
Melinda, have you tried using Oragel (sp?)......or one of those teething
ointments....sometimes they help.

I only found his tooth poking through yesterday, so I don't have anything
like that around to put on his gums. It's not reccommended to use those
unless the baby is really unsettled.

When DD#1 was cutting teeth I paid a visit to my paternal gramma.
I figured that anybody who had survived 11 babes of their own and a
bunch of other people's (she also did foster care and raised several
of my cousins) would know what to do with a teething fusspot.
Bear in mind that DD#1 was the child from hell to begin with, teething
did nothing to improve her mood.
Gramma looked her over, looked me over, and then told me to "hand that
baby here and take yourself out for dinner and drinks". I was a
little hesitant, I mean, gramma was like 83 years old, and DD screamed
constantly when she _wasn't_ teething. Gramma gave me The Look, and
got grim with DH, so we ended up going out with instructions not to
show our faces back until at least midnight.
Got back to gramma's house, and DD was sleeping like an angel, butt in
the air, clutching an old bone in her hand. Gramma told me that yes
indeed, DD was a real pip, but a teaspoon of whiskey and a hambone
will calm any child's teething woes. I was also informed that DD was a
whiskey snob, she spit out the good Kentucky bourban and would only
take scotch.

Being a vegetarian that didn't hold with giving babies liquor to quiet
them (newfangled nonsense I was told), I was less than excited about
this revelation. On the other hand, I think it was one of the few
decent nights sleep I got for the first 5 years of that childs life.

Gramma also informed me that DD was very fond of Elvis.

NightMist
--

My karma ran over my dogma