What a Stash Enhancement Opportunity I had!

Old November 3rd 03, 05:14 PM
Monique Reed

Default What a Stash Enhancement Opportunity I had!

My MIL is in full "fling" mode, contemplating moving into a smaller
house and getting rid of many things she's accumulated over the
years. Yesterday she let me go through her big boxes of linens. I
came home with a huge haul.

There are one or two pieces that might actually have been worked by
her grandmother (or one of the grannies)--little doilies with net
darning and needle-lace. They're not spectacular, but they might be
pretty stiffened and backed with a dark color and framed.

There was a small sampler on linen with one alphabet in cross-stitch
and another in what is either backstitch or double running stitch (I
haven't had time to really look at any of this yet.) Some of it
appears to be cotton floss and some is shinier--rayon or silk. It is
"signed" by an 11 year old girl whose name doesn't ring any bells at
all. There is no telling where or when this was made or if it's a
copy of something, though the hemming appears to be sewing machine
work.

The rest of the trove is mostly from MIL's time in the Philippines,
where handwork was cheap and officers' wives did lots of entertaining.

There is a huge plain tablecloth and set of napkins that appear to be
an evenweave of undetermined fiber content. These are whining for
some embellishment.

The *bestest* part of the haul though, is a whole slew of white-work
tablecloths, napkins, and cocktail napkins. There is hand crochet
edging, satin stitch, pulled thread work, withdrawn thread work, very
fine embroidery, cutwork, and lace.

Since most of the pieces are stained in spots and since DH and I are
very casual entertainers (Our idea of fun is to tie aprons on everyone
and get them all in the kitchen to try a new recipe), I think I will
turn this whole luscious haul into the grandest quilt you have ever
seen. I've got a stash of antique hankies to toss into the mix and
the result will be one of those exquisite, frothy things you see in
fancy linens shops. There are enough hankies and napkins for the
whole shebang--quilt or comforter cover, pillows, neckrolls, you name
it. Backing the linens with some very pale blue to make the
needlework stand out will make it really stunning. It will take
courage to cut any of this up, but I think I can make it something
glorious and a real tribute to the kind of handwork few people do any
more.

Has anyone here done anything like this? I think I have an idea ook
stashed away someplace...

Wheee---like I needed another project!

Monique in TX
Old November 3rd 03, 07:58 PM
Diana Curtis

I can just picture your new bedset. It sounds stunning, and I believe it
would be a fitting tribute to the people who created this handwork. What a
lucky haul you got!
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44

Old November 4th 03, 12:04 AM
Polly Esther

Monique, I'm doing that right now. I've been collecting lovely old
handkerchiefs and antique lace for a hundred years or so. Just the past week
end, I attached them to squares. I auditioned them on pastels but they
seemed happier on ivory. On some squares, I used just a single hanky if it
was a great beauty. On some, I managed to use 4 or 5. In some cases, I'm
going to have to sneak in and handsew them to the background square so the
stitching will be invisible, on most, the SM did some stitching that blended
beautifully.
I thought I would send it to a great-niece who is expecting her first
baby. Ought to be great for some lovely pictures and hopefully to pass
around. It seems to me that laundering it would be a major production so I
don't expect it to be very useful.
Email me when you would like to share the agony and the success. Polly

"Diana Curtis" wrote in message
[...]

Free to good home (stash opportunity) Cheryl Isaak Needlework 1 October 27th 04 01:18 PM
International Stash Enhancement! Jenn Liace Needlework 1 March 3rd 04 03:05 AM
Stash for Sale Suzanne Marketplace 0 March 1st 04 05:23 AM
CA Fires/Love in Stitches Stash Replacement/Grandma-to-Be Coleen Needlework 6 November 3rd 03 04:05 AM
My Stash Is Being Guarded !!! DDM Quilting 2 August 10th 03 10:00 PM