A Favor of you Please

Old August 25th 03, 02:19 PM
Roberta Zollner

ROFL! Sandy, you're a Wicked Woman sneaking all those intimate photos. I was
trying to keep those glasses a secret from the world in general!
Roberta in D

" Ellison" wrote in message
Howdy!
(some copy&pasting may be necessary; beg pardon!
this looks right on my screen g)
Must be the longest THREAD on a subject Ever! ;-D

My family's always been "in cotton." From my grandparents
on Mom's side who were cotton dusters, gloves and tack cloths,
http://www.theragcompany.com/
to my dad's people, industrial mops and floor rugs.
http://lcweb2.loc.gov/award/ndfa/ndf...c200/c226r.jpg
We evolved into at least 5 generations of quilters in my family,
I've been quilting since I was a kid, a mere moplet;
here's a typical home scene:
http://lcweb2.loc.gov/award/ndfa/ndf...c100/c192r.jpg
Our family song: *warning: music plays*
http://louiseward20.tripod.com/ragmop/ragmop.html
R I say R-A R-A-G R-A-G-G
R-A-G-G M-O-P-P: Rag Mop
So quilting was kind of in my fiber, you see;
I've always handcrafted & quilted:
http://home.att.net/~ellison-texas/w...ome.html-.html
Thru' some very vigorous shaking, I ended up here at RCTQ.
It definitely was not because my husband, RagMan;
I introduced him to newsgroups and talking on-line .
(What was I thinking?!)
Good ol' RCTQ-- friendly faces and friendly fire,
good ideas on and off topic, why go anywhere else?!
What made me stay?
Wellllll, this Quilting Party that Sarah threw made a big impression:
"The door is always open and everyone is welcome" at Sarah's;
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?10008820+X-8820
"Come one, come all, she said; we're gonna' have a Quilting Party;
I don't care how you get here; just get here!"
Here's Joan, tucked in and waving goodbye:
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?10062917+X-62917
LN and Kris and Pat traveled together, picking up Susan & Marcella,
and a few others along the way:
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?00170155+P-155
Linda and the Gang wanted to bring their own stuff:
http://lcweb2.loc.gov/award/ndfa/ndf...c100/c140r.jpg
Some of the party-goers took a little side trip on the way:
http://lcweb2.loc.gov/award/ndfa/ndf...c100/c189r.jpg
We had Nurses on call:
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?10012150+X-12150
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?10011879+X-11879
Sarah's planning committee met us when we arrived:
http://lcweb2.loc.gov/award/ndfa/ndf...c100/c102r.jpg
and she reminded us that she has a Stash Guard:
http://lcweb2.loc.gov/award/ndfa/ndf...c100/c109r.jpg
But I wasn't skeert:
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?10022137+X-22137
We got a tour of the premises to inspire us:
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?10013332+X-13332
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?10017869+X-17869
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?10031433+X-31433
There was space set aside for smokers:
http://lcweb2.loc.gov/award/ndfa/ndf...c100/c130r.jpg
as well as other amenities:
http://www.moore-warner.com/coups/coup012.gif
Men and children went out to pick cotton for the batting:
http://www.kountrylife.com/content/vin70.htm
Polly gave a demonstration of how to prepare fthe cotton
for batting, carding w/ deftness and speed:
http://memory.loc.gov/pnp/fsa/8c2300...0/8c23936r.jpg
while the rest of us stayed around to wash the new fabric.
Sarah & Wendy heated up the water:
http://lcweb2.loc.gov/award/ndfa/ndf...c100/c195r.jpg
(that's Sarah's favorite punch stick);
Ruth showed us the most efficient way to rinse the fabric:
http://runyon.lib.utexas.edu/r/RUN02...0/RUN02392.JPG
Entering the house w/ our clean fabric thru' the kitchen door
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?10008941+X-8941
we divided into several small groups and began our quilting;
some of us chose to work outside:
http://memory.loc.gov/pnp/fsa/8a3700...0/8a37156r.jpg
Here's LN preparing a frame:
http://memory.loc.gov/pnp/fsa/8a3700...0/8a37150r.jpg
while others worked inside, full of joy and merriment
http://memory.loc.gov/pnp/fsa/8b3000...0/8b30393r.jpg
http://memory.loc.gov/pnp/fsa/8c1700...0/8c17428r.jpg
We quilted.
http://memory.loc.gov/service/pnp/cp...0/3d02058r.jpg
http://memory.loc.gov/pnp/fsa/8b3500...0/8b35946r.jpg
http://memory.loc.gov/service/pnp/cp...0/3c18916r.jpg
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?00120179+L-179
For tips and lessons, Nann took charge of the quilting books:
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?10008315+X-8315
Lori and Teresa volunteered to help Merry
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?10009859+X-9859
with a visit to Vickie in the summer parlor:
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?10022290+X-22290
Mid-morning break saw us taking a little exercise out-of-doors:
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?00105177+NS-177
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?00105183+NS-183
but soon it was back to the quilting:
http://memory.loc.gov/pnp/det/4a2000...0/4a21210r.jpg
http://memory.loc.gov/pnp/fsa/8b3700...0/8b37107r.jpg
http://www.rogerco.pwp.blueyonder.co...s/vict-bea.jpg
At last it was time for lunch, very much a serve-yourself buffet:
http://lcweb2.loc.gov/award/ndfa/ndf...c100/c188r.jpg
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?00073973+MCC-3973
during which Roberta Z favored us w/ a little Eatin' Music:
http://memory.loc.gov/afc/afccc/p000/p051r.jpg
And then back to the quilting:
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?10000297+X-297
http://lcweb2.loc.gov/award/ndfa/ndf...c000/c079r.jpg
One of the most exciting parts of the day,
when Sarah's boyfriend from the LQS showed up:
http://lcweb2.loc.gov/award/ndfa/ndf...c100/c186r.jpg
We all indulged, esp. Sarah. *snicker*
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?00105331+NS-331
Someone just couldn't keep up:
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?00187158+Rh-2158
Indulged & inspired, spirits revived after our afternoon respite.
Kathy called for her "boys, aka Kathy's Kut-ups:
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?00105793+NS-793
& not to be outdone, we were soon visited by Donna's Dudes:
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?00105732+NS-732
even Donna had to kick up her heels over this bunch:
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?00105587+NS-587
Mim
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?00185348+Rh-348
was soon surrounded by admirers:
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?00185229+Rh-229
The neighbors
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?10032152+X-32152
thought things were getting a bit rowdy & called in
some peace keepers:
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?00185700+Rh-700
We stopped for tea:
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?00074312+MCC-4312
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?10007596+X-7596
and other refreshments:
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?00120470+L-470
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?00186821+Rh-1821
http://www.sandiegohistory.org/colle...ges/7062-8.jpg
Show&tell at the close of day brought many delightful sharings;
from one of the smaller groups who had been quilting/piecing
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?10030176+X-30176
Suzie showed off this quilt:
http://memory.loc.gov/pnp/fsa/8b2500...0/8b25287r.jpg
Taria had a Finished Quilt (& lovely booties)
http://memory.loc.gov/pnp/fsa/8b2700...0/8b27060r.jpg
Hanging outdoors with pride:
http://memory.loc.gov/pnp/fsa/8c3500...0/8c35738r.jpg
http://memory.loc.gov/pnp/fsa/8b2100...0/8b21515r.jpg
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?00185282+Rh-282
(oh, those Kut-ups!)
Some of the day's results were *not* destined to be ribbon-winners
(perhaps too much exposure to Donna's Dudes):
http://memory.loc.gov/pnp/fsa/8b2100...0/8b21356r.jpg
On to supper and more fun and games:
http://memory.loc.gov/pnp/fsa/8b2500...0/8b25473r.jpg
when Butterfly took the dance floor w/ her troup...group:
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?00186180+Rh-1180
Alas, the day ended, the shindig came to a close,
and we departed in high good spirits
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?10006414+X-6414
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?00171777+P-1777
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?10002412+X-2412
http://photoswest.org/cgi-bin/imager?00125039+K-39

And that's some history to entertain you, Diana!
As to the futu more of the same, please!
Raggmopp/Sandy
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Ranch/4775/

"Diana Curtis" wrote in message
Would you please tell me how you came to post at RCTQ, and why you

stay,
and
how you came to be a quilter and what you hope to find in your quilting
future. Maybe everyone else will get some pleasure in reading these ..

then
I wont feel so selfish! lol
Thanks in advance, Diana the slightly bored

Old August 25th 03, 06:18 PM

I read and enjoyed everyone's different experiences. It took me a while
to figure out the why, how, and what of my participation in these
obsessions NG, quilting, and chocolate (not necessarily in that order).

I always had a quilt in my life thanks to my Grandmother. I never had a
blanket, always a quilt. One when I was little and one for when I went
to college. I still have them both and the newer one (10 years old) I use
everyday. She had stacks of quilts in her home. All scrappy, earlier
ones and later ones made with cotton and polycotton and the ones in
between the double knit polyesters.

I took drafting in HS in preparation for studying architecture. (Instead
I now work in the service industry where there is very little creativity
used but a lot of stress.) While in college, My DH (a computer guy)
encouraged me to find a hobby one year because I was bored of watching TV
and reading. I had enjoyed crafts like most of the women in my family. I
hated needlework because I am a perfectionist and it was frustrating. I
like making only flat items out of yarn. There were other crafts out
there that I could do (and I tried) but I don't like dusting Then it
hit me, quilting. I searched the net, found a site referring to this NG
and subscribed in 1998. Being my first NG, I lurked for a while, bought
some books, found a second hand machine that I love and started teaching
myself to quilt. (Well, with your help.) I stay here because of the
closeness and the exchange of creativity and the general feeling of this
group.

In my future I plan on owning and running my own quilting store. Even
further in the future I plan on creating at lesat one "award-winning
stand there and forget to breathe" masterpiece. Right now, in my 20's, I
just make quilts to make people happy and to learn more.

Julie
Richmond, VA

munged address above see me in the directory

Old August 26th 03, 01:40 AM
juliasb(nospam)

You are blessed to have come to this special art from at a young age (my
own kiddlets are in your age bracket).
I hope my girls will take up the craft. I would love to be able to
share this with them. Fortunately they do appreciate the workmanship
and love that has gone into each quilt I have made for them.
juliasb

--
come and journey with me...
from darkness into New Life