Returned Quilt -- What to do with it??

Old August 5th 03, 05:06 AM
Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply

Default Returned Quilt -- What to do with it??

Hi Guys,
DH & I just returned from visiting his Mom in northern MN. She has an
inoperable brain tumor and is in a nursing homme -- likely to be there until
she crossed the Rainbow Bridge. For Christmas last year, I made her a large
lap quilt out of the "Old Country Roses" print fabric collection from Keepsake
Quilting (I think). The china design is my DMIL's favourite so I knew she
would love the quilt.
Needless to say, she can't have the quilt in the nursing home. She wouldn't
remember who it came from AND it would likely disappear within a few days. I
have brought it home with me and am now wondering what to do with it.
Personally, I don't particularly care for the fabric -- pink roses aren't my
thing -- so I won't really use it. It was a real joy for me top make tho' as I
*knew* my DMIL would cherish it so I don't want to just give it to anyone.
A friend suggested that I keep it and give it to my DGD when she is old
enough to actually need it. She's only 12 weeks old and already has a quilt
from me and another 6 or 7 blankets -- LOL! Obviously, she doesn't need a
grownup sized lap quilt just yet.
I can always store the quilt properly but I don't really want to just put it
in a cupboard to be forgotten and not enjoyed. Problem is, the thing doesn't
really look good anywhere in my house and *that* is frustrating! My decor is
all purples and greens and this majorly **PINK** quilt looks really odd and out
of place. I want to keep it out because it reminds me of my DMIL -- before she
got sick -- every time I look at it.
I have a two storey home with a front stair and a landing at the top. that
faces the front door but also faces sideways to the stairs. Right now, I plan
to just drape the quilt over the stairail on the sideso that it's not obvious
from the front door. I will see it every day and remember the good times with
Ma. I wondered if anyone has any other suggestions for use or display of this
quilt? I don't want to actually use it as a lap quilt -- want to keep it in
fairly new condition for giving to the DGD a few years down the road. CiaoMeow
^;;^

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^
Angels can't show their wings on earth but nothing was ever said about their
WHISKERS!!
Nothing is complete without a few cat hairs!

Old August 5th 03, 10:12 AM
Kate Dicey

Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply wrote:

[...]

Oh, that's hard on you all. Have a sympathetic ((((((HUG)))))).

I think saving the quilt for the granddaughter is an excellent idea, but
I can't offer any help for the storage or display in the meantime.
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old August 5th 03, 12:59 PM
Queen of Squishies

Keeping for personal viewing/fondling/remembering is the best thing you can
do for now. It will be loved, cared for, and it has a future with your DGD.

Karen, Queen of Squishies

Old August 5th 03, 03:28 PM
julia sidebottom

I know this may sound a bit difficult for some here. However I went
through a similar situation with a friend.
She had me make her two identical quilts for her mother who was in a
nursing home... they were patterns that her mother adored. Knowing her
mother, it would have been next to impossible to have her give it up to
take home to be washed, there for she had the two made so mom wouldn't
notice the quilt being taken home. My friend was, like you, not overly
fond of the choices her mother loved either.
Mom lived what remained of her live in the nursing home. The quilts
were tenderly kept in good condition.
My friend then used the quilts to drape over her casket when she died
instead of flowers. She knew how important the quilts were to her mom.
Afterwards the quilts were given to each sister (my friend and her
sister) and have been passed down for the next generation. Like you
they required some safe keeping until the younger generation would
understand the value of these precious gifts. But it has been well
worth it according to my friend. The next generation knows just how
much their grandmother loved them and even cherished them into her
death. Now they have this very precious memory of their DGM.

juliasb

[...]

Remove (nospam) from address.

now...
come and journey with me from darkness....
.... into New Life http://www.nwlife.com
Old August 5th 03, 04:09 PM
Siptah

if you really can't stand to have it around, what about donating it to a
charity to auction or raffle off. Maybe one related to your MIL's
condition?
Otherwise, I think hanging onto it for your daughter is a good idea.
--
Siptah
Columbus, OH

"Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply " wrote in
message ...

Old August 5th 03, 04:10 PM
Dannielle Beitzell

This is just a thought. Sometimes fabrics look different if they aren't
laid out flat. I know, I know, blasphemy of not seeing the whole quilt hung
out wide, but if you use it in more of a throw fashion on a chair, you'll
still see the memories, and not so much of the fabric pieces that drive you
nuts. Then you can keep it out and still save it for your DGD....

--
Dannielle from NY
http://www.beitzell.com/dannielle/index.htm

Old August 5th 03, 10:42 PM
Kay Lancaster

I can always store the quilt properly but I don't really want to just put it
in a cupboard to be forgotten and not enjoyed. Problem is, the thing doesn't
really look good anywhere in my house and *that* is frustrating! My decor is
all purples and greens and this majorly **PINK** quilt looks really odd

Drag it to the regular fabric store next time you go, and see what it might
look like through a purplish organza or georgette. Might be enough to
tone it to your decor. You could either slipstitch the sheer overlay to the
top, or make a "pillowcase", and perhaps tie through it.

Old August 6th 03, 03:11 AM
Sk8eraunt

Imagine a quilt your loving grandmother treasured and snuggling up in it -
it would be like snuggling up with grandma herself.

Oh, that's a beautiful sentiment!

kaila
Old August 7th 03, 01:26 AM
Karen Officer

Did the nursing home say she couldn't have it there? The nursing home
my mother is currently in allows quilts and afghans, pictures on the
wall, anything to brighten things up and make it feel a little more
familiar to the patients. If it's not huge, the nursing home may let
you hang it on the wall beside her bed as a wallhanging.
Just another suggestion.
Karen O

On 05 Aug 2003 04:06:56 GMT, in rec.crafts.textiles.quilting,