Hand sewn or sewing machine?

Old July 15th 03, 08:25 AM
Diana Curtis

Im so glad to hear your explanation. That makes it almost forgivable! lol
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
"Shelly" glass angel at charter dot net wrote in message
I tried that Diana! He refused to retract the original price that he'd
quoted. I waited until I needed the money before I started the project. My
daughter's birthday was coming up in a few days and I told her that if

she'd
help me quilt that quilt, I'd give her half the money for it. She quilted
her butt off and so did I, we finished the quilt in 2 days time. I didn't
tell her the whole truth about the amount of money she'd be getting. I

gave
her the whole amount, which was only $150, thanks to dh. I really hated to
sell the quilt for that little bit of money. It's over and done with and

my
dd was only too happy to relieve me of her half of the money and mine

also.
lol If not for her, the man wouldn't have gotten the quilt. He'd ordered 2
after dh quoted the price to him. What he got was ONE and very lucky to

have
gotten it. I warned dh about quoting prices before he checked with me. I'm
the one that has to make the quilts, although, dh does quilt also. He
wouldn't have quilted the quilt for such a paltry sum, I grant you that. I
was selling small quilts for $75/pc, (lap quilts). I sure couldn't see
selling a full sized quilt for $150. Maybe for a few friends but certainly
not for someone I don't know.
Shelly
"Diana Curtis" wrote in message
Thats the point where your DH gets to go back to the person and admit

red
faced that dear Wife doesnt work that cheaply after all, that he
misunderstood, and if they still want a quilt it will cost them XXX

dollars.
DH wouldnt make same mistake twice, LOL!
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
"Shelly" glass angel at charter dot net wrote in message
I've made quilts both ways and with and without love. Some have

actually
been pure HELL to finish just because I just plain didn't like the

person
and resented having to do the project. *All of these projects were the

ones
that dh volunteered my services for and quoted a very small fee that

he'd
overheard me give to a close friend.* I was NOT happy with him or the

person
receiving the quilt at all. lol
Shelly
"Donna in Idaho" wrote in message
I've made lots of quilts for family, made by machine, all made with

love.
My hands don't allow me to do that much hand work. According to

your
criteria - since I made all my quilts by machine they didn't have

any
love
in them. Not true!!!!!!!!!!!
--
Donna in Idaho!
Project Linus Boise/SW Idaho Coordinator

The ultimate inspiration is the deadline!

"Lakaya M. Peeples" wrote

in
message ...
depends...quilt in a day....machine. quilt for a lifetime....with
meaning....hand. quilt in a hurry with that hand touch...machine
piece--hand quilt. I have done all of these. mostly I like my

hand
stitching better...as it is better for me...its my 'de-stressor'

and
its
small and portable until you do your completion. Current project

must
be
done in a month from now....machine piecing..hand tying, and a

minimal
of
quilting is the way I am going to go, cuz its my daughters
'college-going'
gift....something to remind her that when college is done...home

awaits.
she is going to school 4 hours away....that's kinda my way of

saying
don't
go a few states away, but if you do....remember the love this

thing
took
make. which is why at least some of it has to be done by hand. I

also
made
her some hand knit socks in a pattern she didn't even know she was
picking
out for herself...she said 'ooooooooo who's lucky enough to get

those?'
said 'what you kidding....I'm not making for you, it will take

forever'
(which it did....but that's part of the surprise) and 56 cents.

(penny
for
her thoughts, quarters for a call, and all of her mommy's love)

so it depends. if you are making it for love....hand it

somewhere.
for
utilitarian purposes, ex: keeping very warm, cold winter, and low
budget....machine the thing.

peepla

"sbeep" wrote in message
om...
I am a beginner in quilting and I haven't really got to far in

making
one, just have my blocks cut out. Before I start putting my

blocks
together which is better on making a quilt, hand sewn or a

sewing
machine?

---

---

Old July 16th 03, 03:32 AM
Tara Henderson

taria wrote in message ...
I would think unless you walk or ride the wagon or horse into
town to get supplies than its sort of machine work too?
Those who think machine work is not acceptable are not familiar
with fine machine work.

I agree, but the fact of the matter is that only a minority of
quilters ever do fine work of ANY kind. We're talking about everyday
stuff here, not the cover of QNM. Everyday mediocre handquilting is
more beautiful than everyday mediocre machine quilting.

When people first started buying home
sewing machines (they did without a lot to afford machines) they often
put machine stitching where it could be seen because they were
so proud of the sewing machine.

They weren't proud of the way the stitches looked, as such. They were
showing off the fact that they could afford the latest gadget. Much
like the current machine quilting and embroidery craze. You can buy a
Bernina or a Viking, but (Roxane and Thimblelady notwithstanding) you
can't buy the ability to make really small hand stitches. That takes a
very real and ongoing sacrifice of time, which is so much more
precious than money. Unlike what another poster said, it's not time =
money = love, but time I could have spent otherwise equals love. The
people who receive our quilts understand that, which leads to the
continued perception that there is more love, care, concern or what
you will in handmade objects. There is more of your personality in the
little irregularities of handwork. That doesn't mean that people who
simply can't do handwork because of health or lifestyle don't love the
people they sew quilts for. Each person is different and noone can
measure the personal sacrifice in any given project. For me, sitting
at the machine kills my back so if I machine piece to get it ready by
so and so's birthday, that's more of a sacrifice. But for MOST healthy
people the choice between handwork and machine work does TEND to
reflect a difference in personal outlook. For example, handquilting a
bedquilt for your spinster aunt in the same amount of time you could
have churned out 14 wallhangings for all your coworkers babies.
Strictly speaking there is the same amount of self-giving in those two
choices, but deep down we all know the difference.

I guess we are looking at the pendulum
swing?
Taria

Kathy Applebaum wrote:

Lakaya M. Peeples wrote:

so it depends. if you are making it for love....hand it somewhere. for
utilitarian purposes, ex: keeping very warm, cold winter, and low
budget....machine the thing.

Gosh, we aren't just a little prejudiced against machine work, are we?
*grin*

--
Kathy Applebaum (Woodland, CA)
Longarm Machine Quilting, Queen of Fabric Tramps

(remove the obvious to reply)

Old July 16th 03, 05:03 AM
taria

I would disagree that a sewing machine was the latest gadget. It
was something much bigger than you understand. It changed the
way people lived. People often went without something to afford one.
There are few people I know who quilt that I would insult with the
comment that their work is mediocre, hand or machine work. Actually
it is kind of insulting anyone's work unless it is in a judged show.
I do all kinds of sewing and quilting. I enjoy it and none of it is
ever a sacrifice. It is a joy, however it is done.
Taria

Tara

Kathy Applebaum wrote:

Lakaya M. Peeples wrote:

so it depends. if you are making it for love....hand it somewhere. for
utilitarian purposes, ex: keeping very warm, cold winter, and low
budget....machine the thing.

Gosh, we aren't just a little prejudiced against machine work, are we?
*grin*

--
Kathy Applebaum (Woodland, CA)
Longarm Machine Quilting, Queen of Fabric Tramps

(remove the obvious to reply)

--
Please visit my web page at:
http://home1.gte.net/res0yk6g/taria/index.htm

See my Siberian Cat, Lilly, at:
http://home1.gte.net/res0yk6g/lillypage/lillycat.htm
Old July 16th 03, 05:37 AM
Donna in Idaho

Tara, Sitting at the machine kills your back? Well, hand stitching kills
my hands. Does that mean that you do better work because you can hand quilt
and I can't?

Would you consider Caryl Bryer Fallert's or Harriet Hargraves' machine
quilting inferior work?

I've seen some absolutely beautiful machine quilting. I've seen some
absolutely awful hand quilting.
--
Donna in Idaho!
Project Linus Boise/SW Idaho Coordinator
Website: http://donnakwilts.tripod.com/

The ultimate inspiration is the deadline!

"Tara Henderson" wrote in message
om...

Old July 16th 03, 08:41 AM
Patti

But, but ...
There really is a different way of looking at this:
I am proud of my machine work and not proud of any handwork I do (apart
from sewing down bindings which I have got down to a fine art also).
When I machine piece and quilt a piece of work, I am doing my best work.
If I were to do something by hand, for some philosophical reason, I
would not be giving my best work.
I don't dislike handwork, and I am improving my hand appliqué. When
that is good enough to make me proud, then I will be able to use that in
quilts for others or shows. Doing 'my best' has for me become a measure
of my regard for the recipient of any of my work.
..
In article , Tara
Henderson writes
[...]

Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old July 16th 03, 12:56 PM
Pat in Virginia

A few oldies but goodies:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

A rose by any other name smells as sweet.

Don't rain on my parade.

PAT in VA/USA reminding you all that it is 'more blessed to give
than to receive,' so please give me some quilts

Old July 16th 03, 01:19 PM
Roberta

For your comment Pat I'd almost send ya a quilt ;0)

It is nice to know that there are people that are less judgmental out there.

As an outsider to this group and a new quilter I have to say...I would never
feel comfortable posting where I buy fabric, what kind of sewing machine I
just bought or how I intend to quilt my projects. I do get a lot from
reading suggestions and links to sales. I also love to look at all of the
beautiful quilts and quilts in progress.

Roberta

In ,
Pat in Virginia typed:

Old July 16th 03, 02:29 PM
Marijke

DON'T FEEL LIKE THAT!!
Sorry for yelling (well, not really but anything to get your attention).

Quilting began by women piecing together pieces of scrap fabrics, old
clothing and sac cloths out of necessity. That is where the joy and beauty
of quilting began. They'd be aghast at some of the snobbery that lives in
the craft world these days.

NEVER, EVER be ashamed of where you buy your fabric or how you put YOUR
quilts together.

There are NO quilt police. There are always judgemental people who will tell
others that they aren't good enough parents (gasp, my kids drink cola), or
your house isn't clean enough (you mean you DON'T clean your walls every
week?) or your kids aren't doing well enough in school (what do you mean you
don't force them to do math four hours a day??), or your car isn't new
enough.......you get my drift. Just as there are people like that, there are
those who sniff at anything less than what they would do. You know what to
do about those people? IGNORE THEM.

You sound like me. We quilt because we love it. It's soothing, it's relaxing
(well, it's relaxing when it's going well and you're not pulling out your
hair and chewing up your lips because a pattern isn't going well or the
stupid post office lost a quilt....), we love the beauty and the work that
goes into making such lovely products.

I really wish you would share your finds, your methods and all stuff like
that. Even us experienced quilters can learn from beginners and - we may
even be reminded of what it was like when we first began.

Did I get through to you? grin YOUR quilts, YOUR choices are just as good
as anyone else's here.

Off soapbox now before I fall off,
Marijke

Old July 16th 03, 02:44 PM
Mel Rimmer

In article , Marijke
writes

NEVER, EVER be ashamed of where you buy your fabric or how you put YOUR
quilts together.

snip

Yay! Well said Marijke. Sure, handwork takes longer than machine work.
It takes even longer to whittle a scale model of the Titanic out of a
whole redwood tree using only your fingernails. Who cares?
--
Mel Rimmer (who reckons Betsy Ross would have given her right arm for a Bernina)
Old July 16th 03, 04:13 PM
frood

Unfortunately, my neighbor girl is getting some of this prejudice ingrained
in her, too. Her grandmother is teaching her to quilt, and she only
hand-pieces and hand-quilts. She does produce beautiful quilts, and the girl
is eager to learn. But you should hear the way she says "my grandmother only
does things by hand..."! (Like what? I use my feet??)

I have taught 2 of my children (so far) how to hand-piece, just like I am
teaching them to sew on buttons and do other sewing and mending.

DS did machine quilting on his piece, and DD#1 sewed on buttons to "quilt"
hers. DD#1 is going to machine piece her next quilt, and it will be machine
quilted. She knows both methods, and chose the one she wanted to do. IMNHO,
it is better for her to chose how she will do it so that it gets done,
instead of adhering to some notion that it is "better" done by hand, and it
ending up a UFO, and never quilting again!

I know how to hand piece, and for some patterns, I can see the benefit do
piecing that way. I prefer machine piecing. I know how to quilt both ways,
and am a beginner both ways. If the project calls for HQ, that's what I do.
I have won awards for my quilts at our State Fair, so even though my quilts
are perhaps in the everyday mediocre category Tara suggests, they are still
beautiful and worthy.

--
Wendy
de-fang email address to reply

wrote in message
.net...
said...
snip
I'm not a new quilter, or poster. If someone on the group has a problem

with
me buying Walmart fabric for my quilts they are more than welcome to buy

me
fabric from the LQS instead. If they dont like my machine choice they

may
send me a featherweight. Same goes for how I quilt it.
There are people who think nothing but hand piecing and hand quilting

counts
as a real quilt. Then there are those of us, me included, that says it
doesnt matter how it gets there, "finished is good". *quoted without
permission* . :-)

snip
Diana

Let me share a little story with all of you. I was at a party a few
weeks ago. We were all discussing various hobbies and when my turn came
I commented that I quilt. (Please keep in mind my friends are in the 25-
35 age range as you read this.) So one girl asked me if I hand pieced
and hand quilted. I said no, I machine piece, and machine and hand quilt.
She then says ",Well those aren't REAL quilts."

"The Look" that I gave this girl was enough to shut her up for one second
(only). I then asked her, sweet as pie, had she ever made a quilt. (of
course a "no."
Then of course the conversation turned to her grandmother who handworked
everything.

My host and good friend who is a knitter (Much Later) said that she
expected me to fight with this person. My response to my friend was
joking ",Why don't you raise, card, and spin all of your own yarn? Well
you aren't a REAL knitter then!" We both laughed.

And now I quote my DH. Early sewing was a necessity. If you were lucky
enough to own a machine- it made sewing those necessities faster so that
you could produce more of what your family needed.

My take- we are all spoiled by all the machines in our life that give us
more time to do the things we enjoy. We should enjoy our hobbies however
we prefer to do them and not judge others on their methods. We should
judge others on the joy they feel from the hobby and the joy they share
with us and the recipients of their quilts.

Julie
Richmond, VA