STORY - I think we need a story right now

Old January 31st 05, 07:11 PM
Kathy N-V

Default STORY - I think we need a story right now

With all that's going on, I think we need a funny story right now.
So, even though I can't see very well, here's a little gift to give
us all a lift.

-------------------

Bob and I graduated high school 25 years ago, and unlike most of our
graduating class, we still live in the same town where we grew up.
Although we make an effort, real life has a habit of getting in the
way, and we've lost touch with a lot of the people who were important
to us a quarter-century ago. Sometimes they come back in the
strangest of places, without any warning.

Bob is in the middle of trade show season, so we don't see him on
weekends, and he gets to fulfill his secret dream of being a carnival
barker. (I swear, if I gave that man a coin changer and a booth,
he'd follow the circus and we'd never see him again) Anyway, this
weekend was one of several "New England Home Shows," and he was
across the aisle from a hot tub manufacturer.

Most of the people on the trade show circuit get to know one another,
so Bob was surprised to see a new face from the hot tub rep. He was
even more surprised when the hot tub rep called out, "Bob! You old
horn dog - how the heck are you?!"

Bob looked, then looked again. It was "one of the gang" from our
high school days, except that the passing time took this guy's hair
and gave him some weight in return. (Hey, it happens) Tom, our
friend from high school, was a very nice guy, and it was only years
afterward that I found out he had had a crush on me. I was pretty
oblivious in those days, and have had more guy friends come up to me
and tell me I broke their hearts a couple of decades ago. (Sheesh,
where were they on all those Saturday nights I went bowling with my
girl friends, because I thought I was as popular as a disease?)

Bob and Tom got some lunch and started to catch up on what's happened
in each other's lives. Tom married relatively late in life, and is
now the father of two year old and two week old daughters. Bob took
out a photo of Amanda, and Tom mentioned that she could stop traffic,
"just like Kath could, back in the day." (Bob was less than thrilled
about that observation concerning his daughter. He seems to take
credit when people tell him that I was gorgeous, which confuses me.
He had nothing to do with my looks, and a lot to do with Manda's. Go
figure.)

At one point, Bob said he couldn't even remember the last time we had
all spoken, and Tom piped up that he remembered the day exactly. He
had last spoken to us on our wedding day, seventeen years ago. Bob
said that he'd take Tom's word for it, but that he didn't remember.
That night, Bob told me about the conversation, and the memory
flooded right back into my brain, clear as if it were a moment ago:

On the morning of our wedding, Bob wanted to send me roses, but was
far too poor to have them delivered from a florist. (By the time the
actual wedding day arrived, we were rolling change to get grocery
money - things were that tight) So he bought me roses at the
supermarket, put them outside my apartment door and rang the buzzer.
When I answered the intercom, he said, "It's bad luck for me to see
you before the wedding, so don't open the door until I leave. But, I
love you, and these are for you. See you at five."

From my living room window, I saw his car pull away (no one said I
couldn't see the groom before the ceremony), then ran down to the
apartment doorway. I was just arranging my roses in a vase when the
phone rang. I figured it was Bob, calling from his parent's home.
(Now our home, a mile from the old apartment. Bob had to wait until
he got home to call, because there were no cell phones seventeen
years ago. At least not for people who rolled coins for grocery
money, anyway.)

"Hello!" I chirped into the phone, expecting it to be Bob, and all
excited because, after all, I was going to be a bride in a couple of
hours. Imagine my shock when it was Tom, an old school friend I
hadn't seen in two or three years instead of my soon-to-be husband.

"Hi beautiful! It's me, Tom. I'm back in town for a long weekend at
my parents, and I wanted to know what you were doing tonight. Up for
going out to dinner or something?" he said, hopefully.

I gulped. This was going to be a rather different turn down than I'd
ever given to any guy in my life. "Um... I'm really busy tonight.
I'm sorry."

Tom continued the conversation in that tone of voice that always
makes me wonder how men ever get the courage to ask a woman out on a
date - the rejection must be crushing. "So, what are you doing, and
are you available tomorrow, before I have to go back to wherever he
was living at the time?"

I giggled. God help me, I giggled. "Nope, I'm not going to be free
any time soon. I'm getting married tonight."

"No way!" (you could tell from his tone that he thought this was the
most creative lie to avoid a date that he'd ever heard)

"Way. I'm getting married at St. John's at five tonight."

In a voice tinted with shock, he asked, "Anyone I know?"

"Well, yeah. Bob. We've been going out for almost three years."

The conversation lasted a few more moments, mostly small talk while
Tom recovered from what sounded like total shock, and then we each
hung up. Caught up in the details of the day, I immediately forgot
the conversation, and never related it to Bob.

Until Saturday. When Tom brought it up to Bob, who asked me about it
that night.

I wonder how many times Tom has told the story of the girl who went
and married someone else, just so she wouldn't have to have dinner
with him.

Kathy N-V

Old January 31st 05, 08:11 PM
Polly S.

Kathy N-V wrote:
With all that's going on, I think we need a funny story right now.
So, even though I can't see very well, here's a little gift to give
us all a lift.

-------------------

thank you for this today... I hope you know how wonderful you are. And I
hope Manda and Bob remember to tell you *every* day.

"Hi beautiful! It's me, Tom. I'm back in town for a long weekend at
my parents, and I wanted to know what you were doing tonight. Up for
going out to dinner or something?" he said, hopefully.

lol
poor guy
you're probably why he started losing his hair!!! bg

Polly
Old February 3rd 05, 03:25 AM

GREAT STORY!
I know how Tom felt....
I dated a guy for about 2 years - and when I went off to college
(freshman year) -- the distance was such that our relationship was a
bit stretched - and before Christmas we kind of agreed to let it
cool.....and see what happened.
That spring I decided to give him a call one night, as a break from
studying for finals.... I got a big surprise when I found out he was
on his honeymoon....!
sheesh -- talk about rebound! LOL

Cheryl

funny joke about beads [email protected] Beads 0 December 19th 04 02:05 PM
[Ganoksin] [March 2004] Tips From The Jeweler's Bench Kandice Seeber Beads 10 March 9th 04 09:52 PM
Story - A MIL Story Jalynne Beads 2 March 8th 04 01:30 PM
Story - The Party Kandice Seeber Beads 0 November 9th 03 01:37 PM