Time for another Roll Call?

Old April 24th 09, 04:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

Default Time for another Roll Call?

On Apr 24, 10:32*am, "Val" wrote:
I am Val. I am an old broad who lives in the far Northwest corner of the
USA. If I were any further northwest-er I'd be a Canadian with wet feet. I'm
not allowed to reveal much more about my identity since I have been thrust
into a very closely monitored Witness Protection Program. That happened
because those who have actually witnessed any of my quilting demanded
protection. *~hanging head and mumbling~ .....and sometimes I am over come
with envy and do shameless, albeit fruitless, begs for purple quilts and
swipe little packets of M&Ms from the Halloween bags of sleeping children..

Val

Good one, Val. You had me (but good) for that 1/10 of a second... :-)
Old April 24th 09, 04:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterflywings

Butterfly, taking time enuf from flitting from place to place to reply. (40
moves in 33 years, then we moved here 3.5 years ago)
Been quilting since I was 5, sewing since I was in 4-H (7-ish), and doing
all other needlework except tatting for as long as I could hold a needle.
(Hey, if MY BIG sisters can do it, so can I. and I have been doing so since)
Paying jobs included: being a florist (first love), working in an all-around
fabric shop(second love), and then a Printer's Devil (it helped kids thru
HS) until we moved, again, and I popped two discs in my neck.
Now, I'm happy to be able to do any sewing or quilting, and now some
crocheting and very little knitting. Haven't sewn on a button in 15
years--don't have the hand strength.
These last 3 years have seen great strides in my ability to start to do
things that I NEVER EVER thougth I'd be able to do again. Thanks to all the
prayers, good wishes, and great vibes from my 'family-on-line'

Butterfly (haven't been on much as I just had the right lower back, entire
sacroliac joint, RKO done.....it'll be 4/6 weeks before I know if it worked)

Old April 24th 09, 05:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article ,
Patti wrote:

Oh blow!
I thought I was being so clever getting Karen's post to this thread -
and I did ggg
Karen's post came to my e-mail instead of RCTQ. Well, you know how
'techno geekless' I am, so I had to stop and think of possible
solutions. I am getting more success lately with 'copy and paste'.
There was no 'copy' on the screen, but I found one under 'edit'!! So I
highlighted the post and pressed 'copy', then came to the NG and at the
top of Sally's post I pressed 'paste' - and it appeared g I was so
flushed with success that I forgot to delete my sig (well, let's face
it, didn't think of it!!.).
.
In message , Sandy
writes

Okay, I'm really puzzled. How did Karen manage to post as our Pat on the
Hill?

LOL. That explains it -- I was completely puzzled. G

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://www.sandymike.net
Old April 24th 09, 05:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
amy in CNY

Hi, I'm Amy.~~~~waving to all~~~~ Living large in Central New York.
Single mom of 2. DS is 27 and engaged to a wonderful gal. They live
near Los Angeles. My DD, 21, lives at home with me. She's my light and
laughter. I've been quilting, sewing, needlepoint and embroidering
since I was a wee-gal of 9 or 10. My dear Granny taught us girls to
quilt. She was the best. I own my own home and have been at the same
job for 16+ yrs. in healthcare (office mgr).
I do sew on a button now and then, and even have done wedding garments
in the past, but no more. Too demanding.
Other than this post, I am notorious for not capitalizing any letters
and use waaayyy too many !!!!!!!'s.
My dear QI, Crikit, passed over the Rainbow Bridge last October. I
miss her dearly. She was the best dog a girl could have. I love
horses, but don't own one, and gardening. I am planting new grape
vines this year, see what happens with that.
My UFO's are too numerous to mention the total, but, I have started to
finish a few, my goal is to finish most of them by year's end. Yes, I
am an optimist!

Next??

amy in CNY

Old April 24th 09, 05:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Thanks, Amy. I've wondered a long time where CNY might be. And as to the
grape vines, our neighbor has trained his to grow waaaay up high. It seems
the wascally wabbits are wine-o's. Polly

"amy in CNY" wrote Hi, I'm Amy.~~~~waving to all~~~~ Living large in

Old April 24th 09, 07:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Val

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
Thanks, Amy. I've wondered a long time where CNY might be.

Ohhhhhhhh, it's a PLA-A-A-ACE. Here all this time I thought it meant
Chocolate's Naked Yearnings. Well, I'm glad that's all cleared up.

Val

Old April 24th 09, 07:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Denise in NH

I've lived in NH my whole life, never more than a few miles from the
hospital where I was born. Married for 39 years to a guy who was born
in the same hospital, and other than when he was in the Air Force, also
has never lived more than a few miles from the same hospital. Obviously
we're not world travelers.

I was a stay at home mom/daycare provider for many years. Our son is
now 31 and is singing professionally. He has a degree in environmental
conservation and for a time was the Director of Naturalists for the NH
Audubon Society, but unfortunately a budget cut forced him to look for
something else. He seems to like singing a lot. He sings with an Irish
band and plays the bodran. He is completely opposite his dad and me as
he's lived all over the country while he traveled with the Renaissance
Faires for many years.

I've been the director of our local food pantry for almost 20 years.
I'm ready to retire, but no one wants my job. If I quit, the pantry
closes. How's that for pressure?

I've been quilting for 7 or 8 years, started on a dare and kept going.
I've finished around 70 quilts so far, all but a few were for charity.

Three QIs, Ginger and Wolfy are Schnoodles (Schnauzer/Poodle) and one
cat.

Denise

Old April 24th 09, 10:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Susan Torrens[_2_]

I'm a Canadian snowbird, who winters in Central Florida. DH was in the
Canadian Air Force for 34 years. He enjoys gardening, maintaining his
garden railway in Florida, working on his N-scale railway in Kingston, and
chasing the elusive golf ball around the course. He is very handy, so helps
out friends and neighbours with small and large projects. He is also an
awesome guitar player!

I started sewing clothes for my self in grade 6, with my Mother teaching me
most of the needle arts. I worked as a dressmaker/ tailor during most of
our postings, also doing custom drapery for a while.

We celebrated our 40th anniversary last fall. DS1 is married to a great DIL
(no kids). DS2 is on disability, and is currently living with us. He has
being working as a volunteer with the local Heart and Stroke office, as a
way to gradually get back into the work force.
We don't have any QI's - too much travel. We do puppy and dog-sit for
friends and neighbours from time to time.

My mother tried to interest me in quilting, but pre rotary cutters etc., I
found it too frustrating. I thanked her for teaching me, but said I'd never
quilt again.I had the TV on many years ago, watching PBS and saw the first
Quilt in a Day program. Started quilting, and haven't looked back since.

I make quilts for my guild's community quilt program, and I am in charge of
the quilting group when I'm in Florida over the winter.
I love to embroidery, cross-stitch, etc., but the majority of my time is
spent quilting. I love all aspects of quilting, from the shopping (my huge
stash can prove that!), to sending it on its way to have a happy life with
someone!

I love to cook and bake, and anything chocolate is in danger when I am
around!

--
Susan
Home safe and sound and trying to unpack

http://community.webshots.com/user/sbtinkingston
"Sally Swindells" wrote in message
Following the discussions on who everyone is, it might be time for
another Roll Call.

So .. who's next?

--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk

Old April 24th 09, 10:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Susan Torrens[_2_]

Where in Central Florida? DH and I are in Zephyrhills, just north of
Lakeland.

--
Susan
Home safe and sound and trying to unpack

http://community.webshots.com/user/sbtinkingston
"Bobbie Sews More" wrote in message
m...
DH and I are moth retired, but spend the winters in Central Florida, and

the
summer we are back home in SC. DH used to work with an airline, I used to
work with the county with challenged adults.

I have a blind aunt who lives in assisted living who I love to take with

me
for breakfast and shopping. Her 2 son's spend week end time with her. I
make bags for her walker, and also a bag to hang around her neck to hold

her
hearing aid so she can play balloon games using her hands.

I've been sewing since making my doll clothes, but didn't start making my
clothes until I learned in high school and then I took off and made most
everything. I have a dauchund QI who is 2, and my son's dog, Troll,a

black
mostly collie & Newfoundland is a bit younger and stays here most of the
time. Both are rescued dogs, and love to lay at my feet when I sew.

In the past few years I made a few lap quilts, but it seems that most of

my
sewing is for the retirement home. The last 3 years I have taught 5

people
to sew. I enjoy passing along my skills. A friend is coming to my house

in
a couple of days to learn to use her serger.

Next?
Barbara in SC

"Sandy" wrote in message
In article ,
Sally Swindells wrote:

Following the discussions on who everyone is, it might be time for
another Roll Call.

So here goes.

snip

Punctuation - use far too many exclamation marks!!!

So .. who's next?

I'll go next -- and I also use far too many exclamation marks. G We
lived in Arizona until about ten years ago, when I retired and we moved
to this area to be nearer to the grandchildren (only one at the time,
though).

I used to be a high school French teacher, and DH Mike was the high
school principal. In the small town where we lived, there was only one
high school. G

We have two DDs, almost 35 and just-turned 33. They are both married,
though the younger one is in the middle of a divorce, sadly. The elder
has three children: boy 10, boy 8, and girl almost 2. The younger DD has
two boys, aged 8 and almost 5. The elder DD and her DH are both teachers
in a middle school here, and the younger DD does financial planning. Her
soon-to-be ex works at Hoover Dam here.

While DH is officially retired, he has a part-time job supervising
student teachers through the university here. It keeps him out of
trouble. When he's not doing that, he likes to hang out at one of the
sports books here, where he can watch a zillion different sporting
events at once and relieve me of the sound of the channel flipping.
VBG I'm not a sports fan.

We're down to one QI now -- Bisou, our adorable cocker spaniel, will be
two in May. She has an unfortunately addiction to leather and has left
several of her marks on our leather sofas, but we're hoping that she'll
outgrow that with time. Meanwhile, we crate her when away and don't give
her the opportunity to misbehave in that way again.

I used to sew lots of clothing for myself (starting when I was fairly
young), for the two DDs and even for Mike; but I've given that up in
favor of quilting. I started by machine piecing and hand quilting, but
I've expanded my repertoire into machine appliqué (a little) and machine
quilting (a lot). I'm hoping to add hand appliqué at some point, but so
far that's been unsuccessful. Oh, and I do a bit of hand piecing, too,
when I want to work on my Quilted Diamonds. At any rate, I've been
quilting now for over 25 years, and I can't see myself stopping anytime
soon. There are so many new techniques to try that the variety keeps
me going.

Next?
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://www.sandymike.net

Time for another Roll Call? Sally Swindells Quilting 171 March 7th 08 02:06 AM
OT-Seed Cake was .... Time for another Roll Call? DiMa Quilting 4 February 9th 08 02:02 PM
Time for another roll call Sandy D Quilting 20 February 2nd 08 05:01 AM
Roll Call [email protected] Quilting 9 January 7th 05 01:15 AM
OT -- CA ROLL CALL BeckiBead Beads 51 November 12th 03 01:49 AM