New quilter

Old November 6th 05, 02:26 PM
Kate Dicey

Default New quilter

Catherine wrote:

Roberta Zollner wrote:

The Karstadt and Hertie here have a tiny shelf with American patchwork
cotton -costs way too much, but sometimes it's all there is. Have a
look around your local newsstands -there are several patchwork mags in
German, most with very basic instructions for beginners, and all with
lots of ads and shops and places to order stuff. There's also the
French one, think it's called Magic Patch. Might find something in a
town near you! It's possible to use cotton curtain fabric, except that
it tends to be a bit heavier than patchwork cotton and thus harder to
sew by hand. Also, the designs tend to be large scale and not so good
for smaller pieces.

The problem you will eventually face is whether to work in metric or
inches. I do both: inches for piecing blocks, because all my rulers
are in inches and I'm used to the quarter-inch seam. Then I switch to
metric for cutting long borders and backing and binding strips. Of
course, it's a bit schizophrenic when I come across a German design I
want to try, and sometimes find myself doing it half and half. (But
German designs I want to try are rare.)
Roberta in D

That's something I never thought of... German quilting magazines. Just
obvious enough to be overlooked.

I was shopping for rotary cutters today too. There are two good brands,
I saw, not too expensive. First was Fiskars, which I've heard of, and
Olfa, which I haven't. Consumer info says the majority prefer the Olfa
because the blade doesn't stay sharp for long on Fiskars.

Any comments?

I have some of each, and never notice the difference... In fact in most
sizes other than the big ones, Olfa blades fit both. I find the Fiskars
better for my hands, but others prefer the Olfa ergonomics. I have the
bigger Olfa and love it, but for the 45mm, Fiskars fits like tailor made.

As for measurements, I don't think that'll be a problem. I've got a
good conversion tool and can use either one.

Here in the UK one buy 45" wide fabric by the metre...
http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old November 6th 05, 05:06 PM
Catherine

Roberta Zollner wrote:

I use both and haven't noticed much difference. IMO the Fiskars is easier to
hold, but this is something you just have to try out for yourself.
Lots of the trouble with dull blades comes from allowing the screw to get
too loose so the blade wobbles a little bit. This will make it dull faster.
Also, you need to practice holding the cutter so the blade stays
perpendicular. If you cut at an angle, it's the same as a wobbly blade, and
it's also a safety risk. Keep the cutter clean -dust out the lint now and
then. Don't use your fabric blade on paper, and only use it on a cutting
mat. (I have a handle in a different color and save old blades for cutting
paper.)
And remember that blades simply do not last forever. Would you expect a
razor blade to remain sharp forever? It is not fair to blame the cutter
handle for the normal lifespan of a blade. I never really timed a blade, but
mine seem to last about half a year. And I cut a lot.
Roberta in D

Half a year... well, to me that's a long time. More than enough. I
saw a page online where they sold blades in bulk, 500 pieces. That's
enough to last several lifetimes, even if I'm very clumsy with the cutter.
Old November 6th 05, 06:32 PM
DrQuilter

Hi Catherine. I did just that while in grad school in central PA, made a
quilt all by hand with no 'formal' training. It could be better, but I
cherish it as my first... so, go ahead and take the plunge indeed!

Catherine wrote:

Hello ladies and gentlemen,

I've been wanting to begin quilting as a hobby for as long as I can
remember - since about age 14 when I saw my grandmother's beautiful
handmade quilts, and I'm 37 today.

--
Dr. Quilter
(take the dog out for a walk)
Old November 6th 05, 08:17 PM
Sally Swindells

I sorted my books out this morning, returning them all to their proper
shelves!

I found a book I had from the library when I started quilting, and
subsequently bought.

It is 'Quiltmaking Tips and Techniques' by the Editor of Quilter's
Newsletter Magazine. Its lots of tips and techniques from lots of
different quilters on every quiltmaking subject imaginable. Its like
taking a class and the instructor saying 'If you do it like this it is
much easier'.

Will go and browse through mine again - its that sort of book.
--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~

I've ordered the Jinny Beyer book about hand quilting and it should be
here in two days according to Amazon. I tried to get the perfect
piecer, but alas it couldn't be shipped to me. I saw while browsing
other books there are necessary supplies I'll need like a hoop,
thimble, some good thread, good light source, needles (and not just
the kind I'm used to that come in traveling sewing kits) and a bunch
of other little things I didn't recognize, so I bookmarked the page.
Today I'm going shopping and getting myself all set up for when the
book arrives, and then I'm gonna dive right on in.

Oh yeah... almost forgot, I need to get some fabric, but I don't have
a clue where or what to get. I mean, do I just go out and buy what I
think is pretty? Or should I get a pattern and follow the
instructions on it as to what to get? I have a good eye for color
combination but I saw so many books written on color alone I'm
beginning to doubt myself.

If any of you ladies familiar with German fabric shops have some tips
on where to get cloth, I'd be grateful.

One more thing... Jinny Beyer's stuff is gorgeous, no doubt about
that. But what I'm looking for, having not seen the book mind you, is
something less intricate than what she has on the cover. Maybe a
block quilt or a scrap quilt to start. I wonder if Jinny will really
begin me at the beginning or will I be trying to emulate her
masterpieces at the outset.

Old November 6th 05, 08:34 PM
Catherine

DrQuilter wrote:

Hi Catherine. I did just that while in grad school in central PA, made a
quilt all by hand with no 'formal' training. It could be better, but I
cherish it as my first... so, go ahead and take the plunge indeed!

Hi Marissa, loved your quilt pics. Your daughter is a real cutie.

Old November 6th 05, 10:07 PM
the black rose

Catherine wrote:
We hope to visit there again, if DH's brother survives his tour in the
middle east (he lives and works in Bavaria when he's not on active duty).

Bless your heart. I will remember him in my prayers.
I'm on pins and needles also. My first baby is thinking of going into
the Air Force. :-/ I'm both proud she wants to serve but scared to
death at the same time.

Thank you -- his name is Paul.

My youngest baby is currently enthralled with the idea of being an army
engineer. He's only 14, so he may well change his mind. I wish he were
more interested in the Coast Guard than the Army -- safer -- but I chose
long ago not to decide for my children what they'll spend their lives
doing. All we can do is pray.

--

the black rose
Research Associate in the Field of Child Development and Human