...mutter mutter...Help?

Old May 31st 04, 11:39 PM
Diana Curtis

Diana, nodding and thinking "pantyhose'

"Marcella Tracy Peek" wrote in message
However, if you are making a
two block (or more) quilt where the different blocks have a different
number of seams then you will be fussing and stretching or unstitching
or settling for less than the best in terms of points and intersections.
One size doesn't Not necessarily fit all.

marcella

---

Old June 1st 04, 12:07 PM
Pat in Virginia

Yep, Ms. Leslie is right! This works for Pfilomina Pfaff and
probably several of her Cousins. Give it a go folks.
Hey Leslie, how did the move go? Are you getting settled? I was
away and have missed the news here.
PAT in VA/USA

Leslie in Missouri wrote:
Okay, y'all keep saying that your quarter inch foot has a hole instead
of a slit so you can't move the needle over to get a scant quarter inch
seam. CAN TOO! My quarter inch foot has a hole, too, but, gee, you're
only moving the needle the equivalent of a couple of threads. The
needle will still fit in the round hole with no problem. Just be sure
to put the needle down by hand- using the wheel- the first time to be
sure you haven't bumped it over more than a few threads...... okay? ;-)

Old June 1st 04, 04:08 PM
Dr. Quilter

I am sure it is technique. it is as if they do not want to open all the
way. do you finger press them open first or do you go at them with the
iron right away? how about using steam?

Kathy Applebaum wrote:

Might be technique... I never have this problem pressing open.

--
Dr. Quilter
Ambassador of Extraordinary Aliens
Old June 1st 04, 04:11 PM
Dr. Quilter

OK, you have convinced me to try it at least. when I piece my ABC quilt
I will only use open seams. I'll let you know how I like it.

Kathy Applebaum wrote:

When matching the seams, you can see exactly where the seams are, and you
just visually match them. Use a pin if that helps. It takes just a few
minutes practice (probably less practice than you put in when you were first
starting! LOL).

I find it interesting that the number one question I get about pressing open
is "how do you match the seams?". From the get-go it seemed so obvious to
me. Are quilters that brainwashed about the whole "nesting seams" thing?
(Which doesn't work on much besides 90 degree angles) Is there something I'm
not seeing? I'm not trying to be snarky -- I really am confused about the
source of the confusion, and not having much success in wrapping my brain
around it. (More sleep would really aid that effort, I'm sure!)

Old June 1st 04, 04:13 PM
Dr. Quilter

that depends on the machine, right? my old one only had three positions.
my new one, one, besides the predetermined ones that get chosen when you
select a specific foot. I have no idea if I can manually adjust the
position of the needle. therefore, I make all my adjustments when I
align the fabric to the edge of the foot.

Leslie in Missouri wrote:

Okay, y'all keep saying that your quarter inch foot has a hole instead
of a slit so you can't move the needle over to get a scant quarter inch
seam. CAN TOO! My quarter inch foot has a hole, too, but, gee, you're
only moving the needle the equivalent of a couple of threads. The
needle will still fit in the round hole with no problem. Just be sure
to put the needle down by hand- using the wheel- the first time to be
sure you haven't bumped it over more than a few threads...... okay? ;-)

Leslie

The HairyFacedOnes 'N Me- My dogs aren't my whole life...they make my
life whole.

RCTQ- Houston 2004..... A good friend will come and bail you out of
jail.... but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...
that was fun!"

Old June 1st 04, 04:45 PM
Kathy Applebaum

"Dr. Quilter" wrote in message
I am sure it is technique. it is as if they do not want to open all the
way. do you finger press them open first or do you go at them with the
iron right away? how about using steam?

I run my finger a couple inches ahead of the iron -- just far enough away to
not get burned. I use a hot iron and lots of steam, but a light touch on the
iron.

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
longarm machine quilting, Queen of Fabric Tramps