Rice grains in walls of porcelain bowls

Old May 7th 05, 03:14 AM
KSL

Default Rice grains in walls of porcelain bowls

I am interested in the techniques used to put grains of rice into the walls
of porcelain bowls.

Are the bowls thrown or slip cast?

At which stage of the procedure is the rice inserted?

Must the wall be as thin as the rice is thick so that it is exposed on both
sides?

Once the rice has burnt out there will be a hole left. How is this filled?

Does anyone have any good websites or books on the subject that they can
recommend?

Many thanks
Ken

Old May 7th 05, 05:30 AM

i think that method is from rice wedged into the claybody. throw as
usual, and lt the rice burn out. i want to do similar with saw dust
one of these days. i know another potter who does sculpture that way.
it makes a lighter then usual final piece since the organics burn out.

i can't imagine the casting method pulling this off?

see ya

steve

Old May 7th 05, 08:22 AM
annemarie

wrote in message
oups.com...
i think that method is from rice wedged into the claybody. throw as
usual, and lt the rice burn out. i want to do similar with saw dust
one of these days. i know another potter who does sculpture that way.
it makes a lighter then usual final piece since the organics burn out.

i can't imagine the casting method pulling this off?

see ya

steve

I have a commercial chinese rice bowl with the rice in it. It is porcelain
and so tranlucent, then the rice has been put around the bowl in a very
uniform way, so it is not thrown. There appears to be a very thin coating
of porcelain still. I guess it is pressed in at leather hard stage?
Good luck and let us know how it goes

Old May 7th 05, 02:56 PM
Bob Masta

On Sat, 7 May 2005 12:14:47 +1000, "KSL"
wrote:

I am interested in the techniques used to put grains of rice into the walls
of porcelain bowls.

Are the bowls thrown or slip cast?

At which stage of the procedure is the rice inserted?

Must the wall be as thin as the rice is thick so that it is exposed on both
sides?

Once the rice has burnt out there will be a hole left. How is this filled?

Does anyone have any good websites or books on the subject that they can
recommend?

Many thanks
Ken

I also would like to know more about this technique. My wife
has a couple of pieces of "rice china". The body is opaque
white, but the "rice" is translucent. My initial assumption
was like yours, that they embedded rice grains and let them
burn out, then filled the holes with something. But now I'm
starting to have my doubts. First off, I have heard that
embedded rice can be a problem: The clay is trying to
shrink as it dries, and the rice is trying to expand as it
absorbs water, so there could be cracking. (Maybe they
used wet cooked rice?)

But also, on close inspection the "rice" spots don't
look exactly like real rice grains. So now I'm wondering if
they just mix up some translucent (added flux?) clay
and embed little grain-shaped pieces in the ware somehow.

Or, if they do use some sort of burn-out method,
maybe they pack the holes with a very thick (at cone)
translucent glaze before they coat the whole ware.

My wife's pieces are from her grandmother, probably
1930s, or maybe earlier. Does anyone know of more
modern work? My guess was that this might have
been a fad at a particular point in time.

Inquiring minds want to know!

Best regards,

Bob Masta
dqatechATdaqartaDOTcom

D A Q A R T A
Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis
www.daqarta.com
Home of DaqGen, the FREEWARE signal generator
Old May 7th 05, 05:40 PM
Bubbles

"Bob Masta" wrote in message

I also would like to know more about this technique.

A quick google brought up a few hits:

http://www.coastside.net/msinfobooks...tml#Rice-Grain

http://www.nga.gov/cgi-bin/pimage?1735+0+0+eastcer
That bowl is gorgeous!

http://jamaica.u.arizona.edu/ic/mse2..._lecture1.html
a.. Rice-grain porcelain (translucence by carving holes)

Also,
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books

More than that, I can't find. Maybe there is another term for it?

Marianne

Old May 7th 05, 08:36 PM

there's also that method where they'd use lace & coat it with porcelain
slip & burn up the lace. "little" pices so the difference between wet
& dry shrink isn't much.

~ also on that list of things to try....

i helped someone do this with cheese cloth to confirm we can actually
do it, then the other student was going to try something more involved.
never finished it though.

sure makes a delicate pot! the idea of using an open cloth, coated,
and formed inside a bowl would make an interesting pot!

see ya

steve

Old May 7th 05, 09:55 PM
Lori

Bob, could we maybe see some pictures of your pieces?

Lori

Old May 9th 05, 08:08 AM
Monika Schleidt

KSL wrote:
I am interested in the techniques used to put grains of rice into the walls
of porcelain bowls.

Are the bowls thrown or slip cast?

At which stage of the procedure is the rice inserted?

Must the wall be as thin as the rice is thick so that it is exposed on both
sides?

Once the rice has burnt out there will be a hole left. How is this filled?

Does anyone have any good websites or books on the subject that they can
recommend?

One thing i tried with the kids who pot here is, to press alphabeth
noodles into the soft clay and let them burn out. They had great fun
with this. We then filled the letters with cobalt, wiped off the excess
and glazed over it.

monika

Monika Schleidt

www.schleidt.org/MSKeramik
if you wish to write me a mail, remove the number from my user name
Old May 9th 05, 01:43 PM
Bob Masta

On Sat, 7 May 2005 18:40:11 +0200, "Bubbles"
wrote:

"Bob Masta" wrote in message

I also would like to know more about this technique.

A quick google brought up a few hits:

http://www.coastside.net/msinfobooks...tml#Rice-Grain

http://www.nga.gov/cgi-bin/pimage?1735+0+0+eastcer
That bowl is gorgeous!

This looks much lacier than the pieces my wife has. Hers
really do have the appearance, at first glance, of translucent
rice grains embedded in the ware. But maybe this is just a
matter of magnification: My wife's pieces are small, maybe
3 inches across, while the photo on this Web page seems to
be a much larger piece from farther away. Maybe up close
it would look more like rice grains.

Thanks for the links. Like you, when I did my search a few
months ago I never could find a very detailed description.
But the link that defined it as "carved" may be a clue.
Perhaps some workers used actual rice as a burn-out, while
others carved lacy holes, with the unifying feature being
the way they got the holes to fill in with glaze or whatever.

Old May 9th 05, 01:45 PM
Bob Masta

On 7 May 2005 13:55:23 -0700, "Lori" wrote:

Bob, could we maybe see some pictures of your pieces?

Lori

Lori, I'll have to ask my wife to dig these out from her
"Grandma-ware" collection and see if I can take a good
close-up photo that shows the rice features. I'll post
a link here when I do.