polishing scratches from art glass???

Old August 20th 03, 03:01 AM
Moonraker

Default polishing scratches from art glass???

If you can feel the scratches with your fingernail, it's likely not going to
be able to be polished out, especially if it is already in a panel. If you
still have the loose piece, you might could take it through the steps of
beveling, i.e.; roughing, smoothing, pre-polish and final polish. You'll
have to grind the surrounding area down "level" with the bottom of the
scratch you made, then smooth and polish it. I think you'll find it more
trouble than it's worth. JavaHut who posts here regularly would be more
likely to know the exact techniques. Maybe he'll post you an answer?

"Boner the Cat" wrote in message
om...
HI,

I need to polish some small scratches from artglass, caused when the

dremel
walked while drilling hole.

these do not appear to be deep and are only 2-3 inches long. don't have a
lot just the occasional but don't want to throw out the pieces of glass.

any suggestion?

any type of polishing wheel for the Dremel.

thks http://www.Starpath-designs.com

bg

--
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts
can be counted. "

Old August 20th 03, 05:11 AM
Javahut

I need to polish some small scratches from artglass, caused when the
dremel
walked while drilling hole.

these do not appear to be deep and are only 2-3 inches long. don't have

lot just the occasional but don't want to throw out the pieces of glass.

any suggestion?

any type of polishing wheel for the Dremel.

thks http://www.Starpath-designs.com

OK, just went to your web page, and now I see the kind of stuff you are
doing and see how the drill could walk when you are doing things.

If that happens you might consider a couple of things.....

First, how to prevent it, #1 and foremost, use a good drill, I suggest
those sold by CR Laurence, they have some good ones that are bonded and have
little "teeth" in the initial cutting edge, AND they have some little bits
called riffle bits, at least they used to. and #2, start the cut at a steep
angle, 45 degrees? and as you drill straighten it up. Prevents walking,
hopefully. But you probably knew that looks like you have done alot of
holes, but maybe some folks haven't.

and now for those pesky scratches, get a small engraving tool and add to
them as an engraved design!! Can't get rid of them, might as well add to
them, embellish the design so it looks like you did it on purpose!!

Old August 20th 03, 07:08 AM
nJb

Javahut wrote:

[...]

Javahut,

Try not to turn all of your kilns on at once. Wreaks havoc on the power
grids.
--
Jack