Baby Quilts

Old August 14th 08, 03:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
felwyn

Default Baby Quilts

Hi all, I'm a veteran lurker and know I can always get the best advice
here. I am planning a baby quilt, and wonder if there are any rules about
size. The instructions I am using are for a 38 X 48 size, seems a
little small to me. I think I should add a row of blocks, end up with 48 X
48.

The smaller one is practical for backing fabric, but I don't want that to be
the only consideration.

Any thoughts? Thank you!
felwyn

Old August 14th 08, 04:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Karen, Queen of Squishies

I'd go with the bigger size too. Some of the baby quilt patterns are too
small imo. They are outgrown too quickly. Oh and - we want to see it when
you are finished!

Karen, Queen of Squishies
--
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Outside, every day, no matter what.

Old August 14th 08, 04:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
felwyn

I will go with the extra row, thanks for the advice. I don't want it too
big for use in a crib, and would hope it will become a treasured toddler's
'blankie', so size is important!
felwyn
m...

Old August 14th 08, 04:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nana wilson

Good luck with the
"blankie"!!!!

Nana .....................Here's some of mine
http://s307.photobucket.com/albums/nn303/NanaWIlson5/

m...

Old August 14th 08, 05:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

The smaller size is OK, but IMO you would do well to add another row
especially if you think it looks better balanced. Lots of people like
to use them as playpen quilts, and the square size is good. Or to put
the baby on the floor. And you can always find wider fabric for
backing :-)
Roberta in D

Old August 14th 08, 05:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Denise in NH

I like to make baby quilts about 48" x 60" and I've had great feedback
from the recipients. At a baby shower, most quilts are tiny, for a
bassinet or crib, and are quickly outgrown. My larger quilts seem to be
the ones that the moms tell me the kids like to cuddle up with and drag
around when they start walking.

Denise

Old August 14th 08, 06:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

I've just put a co-ordinating block/panel on the back of the quilt I'm
just quilting to 'stretch' the backing. Works well and makes the back
interesting.

Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk

Old August 14th 08, 06:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
felwyn

48 X 60 is a size I like, but I think this quilt would look best square,
so I'll go with 48 X 48. Thanks for all your suggestions and comments.
I have another question, think I'll start a new topic.
felwyn

baby quilts Anne Rogers Quilting 4 February 21st 07 05:53 AM
baby quilts done Roberta Zollner Quilting 13 April 4th 06 01:04 PM
Stippling and baby quilts Harri Kulju Erin Winslow Quilting 2 March 21st 04 12:30 AM
Baby Quilts [email protected] Quilting 5 November 19th 03 02:22 PM
Baby Quilts LN \(remove NOSPAM\) Quilting 1 August 22nd 03 05:45 PM