Baby Quilts

Old November 18th 03, 03:04 PM

Default Baby Quilts

Good Morning

It has been awhile since I last posted here and for the benefit of those
who don't remember me I will tell a little about myself. I am Carol Ann,
live in West Virginia, love to do most crafts. Right now I am in the
"crochet mode". LOL I am 55 years old (can say that for another month!)
and learned a lot about crafts from my Mom. I have never completed a
quilt. I have pieced a couple of tops and started quilting one of them.
Mostly I just make blocks, then set them aside. In the past couple of
months I have had 3 ladies ask me if I make baby quilts; each wanted to
buy one. Since I have been trying to think of some way to have some
money coming in to add to my pension maybe this is the way to go. I'm
thinking of starting on a baby quilt after the new year. My question is,
what do you all consider a baby quilt? Are there certain patterns you
like to use or is it more in the fabric that makes it a baby quilt. I'm
really stumped as what to do and would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,
Carol Ann

Old November 18th 03, 03:49 PM

Hi, Carol Ann, welcome to the cyber quilting frame. Baby quilts can be
any design or color, from soft pastels to bright primary colors, and can
be any size, from preemie 18"x18" to crib size approx. 45"x55". When I
make mine, I like to use a flannel or poly fleece backing because it is
so cuddly and warm. If you are making them to sell, keep good records of
your costs, and be sure to include your time. Time and Talent are
expensive! Good luck. Nancycog in MD

Old November 18th 03, 04:47 PM
frood

Hi, Carol Ann! Welcome back! I've made all sorts of different baby quilts.
Well, that's not exactly true - I haven't made any pastel ones! G

I like them about 40-45" wide by 50-60" long. I think I've only made 2 the
same size, and that's because I wanted them to match. Anyway, some were done
based on color preferences of the mother, some were done on a whim.(and
since several of those baby quilts were made for my babies, whims are my
preference!) I like to use Warm & Natural batting, and machine quilt. I do
like to use flannel backing, but don't do that every time, either.

My very favorite thing about baby quilts is watching the babies lie on them
and grin.
--
Wendy
De-Fang email address to reply

Old November 18th 03, 10:53 PM
Brian Christiansen

wrote in message
[...]

I thought I might answer to this question because I make some baby quilts
for ABC quilts, and the following are the "rules" that I use:

1. Pattern - whatever strikes my fancy.

2. Size - Whatever size they turn out.

3. Color - Whatever is in the remnants bin that costs between 1 and 2
dollars per yard (perhaps I am a bit cheap here, also most of my fabric is
purchased at that evil place whose name begins with a "W"). I avoid
"pastelly" colors like pink or blue or whatever. My whole theory is that
colors like this are an adult's perception of what a baby is "supposed" to
like, but I think what they really like are bright colors and interesting
patterns.

I base this on a scientific sample of one. Several years ago, I was in a
Karate class and one of the girls got pregnant. I made a "belt quilt" (I
did not "cheap out" and get cheap stuff from the remnants bin for this one).
The pattern was a simple fence rail, with each square having a strip of
white, yellow, blue, green and brown. The framing and the binding were
black. The back was a stripe each of the colors that were in each square on
the front.

Well, when the baby was born, the parents told me that she really likes the
nice colorful pattern on the quilt. That is what I base my theory on.

4. Faric selection - see above. I generally use blends, because that is
usually what is in my price range. I avoid knits unless it the color really
strikes my fancy, I guess. I am a bit more fussy about what goes on the
back of a quilt than the front, though.

5. Batting. I use the polyester batting. I suppose using Warm and
Natural is some how "better", but a queen size piece of polyester batting
(which makes a lot of baby quilts) is about $5. I don't do this just
because I am cheap, but because I am making the quilts for charity and want
to make the money go as far as possible.

Finally, to me it is the highest compliment if the quilt becomes the child's
"favorite blanky" and he drags it around like Linus does in "Peanuts".

Brian Christiansen

Old November 19th 03, 11:25 AM
Roberta Zollner

There's no real definition IMO. It's convenient to make them about 40-45"
wide so you don't have to piece the backing. If they're about 60" long,
they'll fit a crib. But mothers I've given quilts to like to use them in
playpens or on the floor for babies to play on. Very handy to take a small
quilt along so the baby has a clean surface. The main thing is to make them
Washable!
Babies are very flexible about colors. But they don't write the checks. If
you make up a bunch of different ones, your customers can choose. I wouldn't
fall into the trap of making quilts to order though (unless that's what you
really want to do). It's not fun for me to have to meet someone else's
guidelines.
Roberta in D

Old November 19th 03, 02:22 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions. You all have given me some good tips.

Carol Ann...in wet and soggy West Virginia