Quilt Project Design Help - Attn Cross Stitchers

Old February 11th 04, 06:04 PM
Charlotte Hippen

Default Quilt Project Design Help - Attn Cross Stitchers

At first it may not seem on topic but bear with me please.

Last night I pulled out one of my many cross stitch project after many
months of not working on any of them. It's a Precious Moments design by
Gloria and Pat. Over the years I have made several of their designs. I
started cross stitching as a kid so since I really liked the precious
moments these patterns were perfect. Now I stitch them when I want a fairly
fast and easy project to stitch so I've gotten a small collection of them
over the years. When I was younger my mother made the suggestion of make
enough to make a quilt with and I thought yea. I hadn't put much thought
into it until last night stitching. I am thinking about making small frames
of fabric for some of the smaller ones and maybe even a very small one for
the larger designs but haven't decided on that it may just end up being some
plain muslin to make them all the same size even though they are close. I
am thinking of attaching them together with sashings. I have a couple of
questions on how to accomplish this quilt though.

1)They are all stitched on aida (cloth with holes in it for those who don't
cross stitch). I assume I will need to put something behind them like
muslin to keep the batting from popping through. Will this be too bulky
especially since the aida is thick to begin with? Will I have cosmetic
problems due to the differences in bulk?

2)Like I said, I'm thinking about connecting the pieces with sashings so
some quilting can be done there, but I'm wondering what to do with the
blocks/pictures. I don't want quilting in the middle of my cross stitches.
Any ideas how this could be handled? I'm sure it will have to be machine
quilted because the bulk of the aida would make hand quilting a bit hard.

Again TIA for your help and ideas!!
--
Charlotte
http://community.webshots.com/user/charh108

Old February 11th 04, 07:21 PM
Debra

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 17:04:04 GMT, "Charlotte Hippen"
wrote:

[...]

Yes attach backing to the aida because it will look better. I think I
would cut the backing pieces as large as you need to make all the
cross stitch pieces the same quilt block size, and applique (by hand
or machine) the cross stitched pieces onto the backing pieces. It
would add less bulk that way.

2)Like I said, I'm thinking about connecting the pieces with sashings so
some quilting can be done there, but I'm wondering what to do with the
blocks/pictures. I don't want quilting in the middle of my cross stitches.
Any ideas how this could be handled? I'm sure it will have to be machine
quilted because the bulk of the aida would make hand quilting a bit hard.

Again TIA for your help and ideas!!

IIRC the designs have a lot of open background area. You can quilt
around the outer edge of each individual element in the design. Not
over any backstitching that defines the edge of the stitched areas,
but about an eighth or a quarter inch away from the stitching. In any
largish unstitched areas of each block you can take an element from
the stitching (like a flower shape) and cut a template to use to quilt
that shape in the unstitched area. This will make the stitched
design stand out and it will be enough to prevent the batting from
shifting inside the block area.

I doubt the thickness of the aida would cause any real problems for
hand quilting as the batting is bulkier than the aida. And since you
will be quilting with a sharp needle instead of the blunt tapestry
needle you cross stitched with, you will find the sharp has no problem
piercing the fabric. You could try to use the holes in the aida to
quilt, but I think it would be harder to do that than to just ignore
the holes and stitch through it as if it were any other fabric.

HTH
Debra in VA
Old February 12th 04, 01:55 AM
Don/Gen

You might want to use very light iron on interfacing on the back of the
blocks to stop the batting from coming through. this won't add much bulk.
Gen

Old February 12th 04, 02:07 AM
Polly Esther

And here's a warning from grumpy old Aunt Polly. I was "hunting" and came
across a piece of cross stitch I did many years ago. I had been afraid it
had gotten tossed when we moved. It was more than a little grubby so I
washed it by hand and stretched it flat to dry. The dyes in the floss bled.
A lot.
I tried lots of things to correct it but there's still some bleeding
there. This is not something that's going to cause me to go fall on my sword
or anything. Just wanted to warn you. You might want to find out what kind
of washability you have with your cross stitch before putting it into a
quilt . . . if washing ever is part of the plan.
Also, maybe backing the aida with silk organza would control the fuzzies
and add no more than a whisper of weight. So sorry but one more warning
here - the first time I was searching for silk organza on the net, I got
overwhelmed with amorous responses. Apparently that's a code name for a
kinky group. Polly

Old February 12th 04, 03:22 AM
Charlotte Hippen

Thanks Debra. I'll keep all your advise and ideas in mind when I plan the
quilt. I have to see if I can find where I stashed them all. I don't think
I have quite enough, but I should only have a couple more to make.

Old February 12th 04, 03:22 AM
Charlotte Hippen

Thanks for the idea Gen. I'll check into that.

Old February 12th 04, 03:29 AM
Charlotte Hippen

Thanks Polly. I wash each cross stitch as I finish it to remove any oils
from my hands and anything else that may have gotten on it before I store
them away. Luckily I have not had your problem with bleeding yet, but I
will know before I put one into the quilt if I do. I'll keep the organza
idea in mind, and thanks for the warning!! Funny how you can be doing an
innocent little search and come up with that sort of results. I've got to
learn how to get blockers on my internet before DS gets to be old enough to
start mess around on the net.

Old February 12th 04, 05:10 AM
Elizabeth Young

Polly Esther wrote:
Also, maybe backing the aida with silk organza would control the fuzzies
and add no more than a whisper of weight. So sorry but one more warning
here - the first time I was searching for silk organza on the net, I got
overwhelmed with amorous responses. Apparently that's a code name for a
kinky group. Polly

Lacis in Berkeley CA usually has silk organza
www.lacis.com
they do mail/phone order.

liz young in dark, starry california
Old February 12th 04, 12:40 PM
Roberta Zollner

I've done quite a few of these and they all turned out well. Try to find
some thin cotton batiste to use as backing instead of the regular muslin.
Wash first, it shrinks sometimes. If you can bear to wash your embroidery
pieces, do so. (Most of mine started with flea market finds. Tossed them all
in the machine for a good scrub, and only ever had 1 piece run.) It's nice
to know a quilt can be washed if necessary.

You know best what sort of design would best suit your pieces. If you want
something bigger to quilt than sashing, you can piece some complementary
blocks to alternate with your X-stitch squares.

You can machine quilt with invisible thread on the embroidery bits, if you
want. I like to outline the focus motifs and stipple the background. Go
ahead and use some other kind of thread on the rest of the quilt, if you
prefer.

Remember that the embroidery will probably wear more quickly than the rest
of the piece, because the thread lies on top of the fabric.
Roberta in D

Old February 12th 04, 03:37 PM
Charlotte Hippen

Thanks Roberta. I hadn't thought of the wear issue. I'll have to put it
somewhere that the wear n tear won't be as high on it like as a large WH or
as a quilt on the guest bed. I don't want all that stitching I put so much
time into to wear off right away so to speak. Thanks for letting me know
that it will inevitably happen. At least then I can be prepared for when it
does.

--

"Roberta Zollner" wrote in message
[...]

hand cross stitch design abvailable in both anchor and DMC fromats margret singleton Marketplace 0 January 21st 05 03:04 AM
cross stich design sale ends xmas day margret singleton Marketplace 0 December 18th 04 11:51 PM
Cross Stitch for sale lisa Marketplace 0 June 8th 04 12:36 AM
Cabinet Design Centre v7.0 - Cubit, 20-20 Kitchen Design V6.1,CabinetVision Solid, Planit Millennium II [2 CDs], TurboCAD Pro V9.0 [3 CDs] (Turbocad Pro V9.0, TurboCad Deluxe 9.2 FloorPlan v7.3, TurboProjectExpress v4S), Big Hammer Do It Yourself (De TEL Glass 0 February 6th 04 04:51 PM
FREE Patriotic Cross Stitch Design Valentina Marketplace 0 August 7th 03 01:59 PM