New OttLight - malfunction! Anyone had this happen?

Old December 25th 04, 07:32 PM
FurrsomeFoursome

Default New OttLight - malfunction! Anyone had this happen?

Okay, so since I started quilting, I've heard people raving about Ott
Lites (Ott Lights?), I've seen 'em in shops and I do like the lighting
compared to the yellow that even my fluorescents kick out...

SO I am lucky enough to have a hubby who pays that kind of attention
too, and my prezzie was a gorgeous "Lexington", floor model deco Ott
Light! so, it's an ott light but doesn't look like the industrial work
lamp.

I was so excited, we put it together and set it up right away, and...

it shuts itself off after 10-15 minutes. We tried it on different
outlets and different circuits and the whole bit. Nope, won't stay
lit. and after a few times, it won't even really come back on - switch
it back on and blink, it's off again. So, it's going back to the
store...

Just wondering if anyone has had or heard of a similar experience? My
guess is, like many higher-wattage lamps, there is a built-in breaker
of some sort that cuts out to avoid overheating. But worklamps should
be designed to stay on for hours and hours, and it certainly didn't get
hot - barely warm to touch. So I'm guessing whatever circuitry does
this is just really over-sensitive and I'm hoping it's just this one
lamp and not something inherent in the product.

I do have another fluorescent table lamp that just turns off... but
after hours and hours of use, and it's a cheap lamp and it turns right
back on so I don't mind so much. I've also been chalking it up to
maybe the circuit it's on in my office, which I think is shared with
the kitchen and several appliances as it seems to go off when someone's
in the kitchen. But the Ott-light was on two totally different
circuits and we made a point of turning off everything in the kitchen
and it still went out.

Bummer... Oh well! I'm having fun at home today wrapping and finishing
Sarah's little quilt for my family's to-do tomorrow (siblings are all
out with inlaws today and were working Xmas eve).
Cheers, happy Christmas,

Johanna

Old December 26th 04, 12:33 AM
Polly Esther

Here's probably more than you wanted and let me start with my Ott is a grand
tool with no problems although one could certainly be defective.
I had to ease DH away from playing with his Christmas toys and get him to
listen to your whole question.
Mercy!
Here goes -
Maybe your lightbulb is not making good contact. Check to see that
you've got it in right.
While the light is on, check the transformer (the little black box at
Ott's plug) and the wire. If they are warm, that's okay. If they are hot, it
is not.
If neither is a problem, see if your lamp is okay next door. Perhaps you
have low voltage coming in to your home.
And perhaps you need to ask your nice power company to check out the
voltage coming in. Low voltage is not good on any household equipment, can
destroy some.
And perhaps you have an interior electrical problem - as in something
loose or over-loaded.
Furthermore ... (sorry) DH says if an Ott light is not happy, it's
probably not the Ott that's the problem but what you're feeding it. And he
doesn't like the fact that your ordinary fluorescent lamp goes out
sometimes, not a normal thing to happen. HTH Polly

Old December 26th 04, 12:01 PM
Carolyn McCarty

Wow, what a gold mine of information! Thanks, Polly and Polly's DH. I got
my mother an Ott light for Christmas, too, but luckily hers seems to work
just fine. We'll see how it goes the first time she tries to use it for a
six-hour stretch. :-) I did notice that putting in the bulb was just a tad
tricky. Of course, I'm about as mechanically-minded as a moose.........

Someday I intend to get one of those dandy lights for myself.

Hope everyone had as pleasant and as restful a holiday as we had.

--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo
take out nospam to reply

If it ain't broke, you're not trying. --Red Green

If at first you don't succeed, switch to power tools. --Red Green

link.net...

Old December 27th 04, 02:30 PM
Susan Laity Price

I have had the same lamp for several years and have not had a problem
with it turning off. I really like the fact that it can be in the
family room and not look industrial. I was so used to having one in my
sewing room that I couldn't see as well to hand sew in the family
room.

Susan

Old December 27th 04, 04:53 PM
Donna in Idaho

Has anyone bought the Balanced Specturm lamp? They advertise in our Sunday
news magazine all the time & the lamp is considerably cheaper than the Ott
lights. The ad says the company is firstSTREET (formerly TechnoScout) in
Colonial Heights, VA.

The price is $49 and has dual light levels (27 and 18 watts - comparable to
100 and 150 watt). If they're any good, I would love to order one.
--
Donna Aten, Coordinator
Project Linus - Boise/SW Idaho Chapter