"Penguin Quill" spinning wheel

Old December 6th 04, 02:29 AM
bim

Default "Penguin Quill" spinning wheel

I was just given a Penguin Quill spinning wheel- a company that was in
Boulder, Colorado but appears to be defunct. Now that I think, I
don't know how old the spinning wheel is but I can ask the wonderful
woman who gave it to me.

the wheel looks very simple- I looked for a similar image but couldnt'
find one- but it's a treadle, with a large solid wood wheel and a very
simple spindle and nothing else. She said it needed some repairs but
it looks like it mainly needs oil for the attachment of the treadle
bar to the wheel as it gets stuck. another thing I'm curious about
is getting the string on. I can't make it fit around the big wheel
so we can run it. do strings shrink while in storage? I don't
actually know how long it's been unused.

I plan to take it to our local spinning, etc store (shuttles, spindles
and skeins, also in Boulder) tomorrow as they have been exceptionally
helpful to me when I'm confused- as when they helped figure out my
daughter's rigid Heddle loom. I imagine they'll help me but I just
can't wait! I was so thrilled to get this- all of my kids are
interested in spinning and so am I. I've had a friend teach the
basics so I want to start going on it. :-) (and we went to the
local Handweavers Guild sale yesterday so the timing couldn't be more
conducive to fueling my eagerness.)

--
Kate, http://systems.cs.colorado.edu/~koli...f-formula.html
Mom to Ursula (10!), Sage (7), Benno (3.9) "Children are not

discussions on parenting and birth!