OT Kittens scratching sofa

Old December 13th 05, 01:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default OT Kittens scratching sofa

I have three kittens one is 6 months old and the other two are 4 months old.
All of them like to law at the end of the sofa. I have tried spraying them
didn't work. I tried chasing them with a paper bag with noisy things in it.
I just looked like a fool running around the house. Then when I sat the bag
down they would go and play with it. I am getting a new sofa is there any
suggestions besides getting them de-clawed\? I don't like doing that.

She in PA

Old December 13th 05, 01:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

do they have something to scratch on besides the sofa?

--
Jessamy
In The Netherlands

Old December 13th 05, 02:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 07:52:07 -0500, "She in PA"
wrote:

I have three kittens one is 6 months old and the other two are 4 months old.
All of them like to law at the end of the sofa. I have tried spraying them
didn't work. I tried chasing them with a paper bag with noisy things in it.
I just looked like a fool running around the house. Then when I sat the bag
down they would go and play with it. I am getting a new sofa is there any
suggestions besides getting them de-clawed\? I don't like doing that.

She in PA

I used a combination of 1) giving Sasha a scratching post that I
actively encouraged her to use and 2) catching her in the act of
clawing something and squirting her with a water pistol.
For the first one, I had to take her paws and show her how to use
it. Once she got the idea, and that she wouldn't be in trouble, she
loved it. Cats want to sharpen their claws, so get them something
that is going to allow that behaviour.
For the second one, you have to run less with a water pistol than
you do if you are trying to smack a cat's bum. Sadly, you can't shoot
around corners, but it's very effective. I used to shake it so that
Sasha could hear what was coming, and stop if she wanted, then fire
away if she carried on. It got to the point where I only needed to
shake it, then to the point where I only needed to reach for it....
Good luck! It was easier for me, because I only had one kitten to
deal with. I always feel that 2 sort of egg each other on. They have
a little "cat community" of their own.

-- Jo in Scotland
Old December 13th 05, 02:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Yes they have a scratching post and I pick them up and take the to it. I
even but it at the corner of the sofa. Is there anything you can spray on a
sofa, that won't hurt the sofa, but the kittens would hate?

She in PA

Old December 13th 05, 02:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

A goofy notion - but it won't cause you to make a special trip to the store.
Try covering the area of the sofa they like to scratch with aluminum foil.
I've heard that kitties find the foil terribly offensive. Polly

Old December 13th 05, 02:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Polly.
My kittens don't if they find a small piece in the kitchen they pick it up
and carry it around and crawl at the other ones if they get near. It's like
I killed this piece of aluminum foil and you can't have it.LOL

She in PA

ink.net...

Old December 13th 05, 02:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

We did the squirting water on kitty too. Had a water pistol and a couple
of towels always sitting out in the living room.

Did it work? Mostly, and then he grew up and learnt to just jump up the
furniture rather than claw his way up.

Hanne in London

Old December 13th 05, 02:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I tried a squirt bottle maybe The gun would be better because I could carry
it with me more easily. I will try that. I wish they made a spray of
something stinky for cats to spray on the sofa. I don't want to be able to
smell it.

She in PA

Old December 13th 05, 02:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I'd move the scratching post away from the sofa - sometimes it's hard for
kittens to realise that on of the two nice upright things is ok and the
other is not.

also try rubbing the scratching post in with catnip - it will make it more
attractive ;-)

I'm also with Jo about the water pistol /or plantspray set in a stream -
cat's do learn fast from this.

I have heard that black pepper is a good deterrent but I haven't tried it as
I found out after I had my cat trained to react to me reaching for the
spray.

Old December 13th 05, 02:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

She in PA wrote:

Yes they have a scratching post and I pick them up and take the to it. I
even but it at the corner of the sofa. Is there anything you can spray on a
sofa, that won't hurt the sofa, but the kittens would hate?

She in PA

AHHHH, but have you actually showed them what to DO with the
scratching post? I sit on the floor with my kitties, take their little
paws in my hands and actually make them scratch the post. Then I will
scratch the post with my fingernails. I do this over and over and tell
the kitties what good babies they are and eventually they "get it".
Cats don't just automatically "know" they are supposed to scratch the
post. There are several different spray products available that are
supposed to keep cats from scratching but I have no first hand
experience with them. I've been lucky and been able to train all of my
babies to use a scratching post. CiaoMeow ^;;^
--
PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
their whiskers!