Labels for UFOs

Old September 28th 06, 10:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
René

Default Labels for UFOs

I'm finally in the process of getting some UFOs finished. I started two
quilts in ... ahem .... the 1980s. They were stored away and have now found
their way into my sewing area. One is a queen sized, originally designed,
and pieced quilt for my DD. She had her color and pattern specifications
and I made it just to suit her. The other one is more between a lap-sized
and a extra-large crib size. It's for my cousin's daughter who is 11 or 12
now. She still likes the color combination and will like the feminine
touch. I started it for a my cousin's baby girl who was still "out of town,
at the time." That's our family's way of describing a child who hadn't been
born yet, but asks, "Well, where was I? How come I'm not in that picture
with Gramma?" We've always had world travelers in the family, so we just
say, "Well, you were out of town." It has always appeased them and seems to
make sense to them.

So, I want to put labels on each of them after I finish up the last
touches. Writing the date I started them, just doesn't seem adequate --
it's not enough at all. The intervening years were very eventful for each
family, and it just doesn't seem right to put a single old date on them.
Each is a completed top, but has not been quilted or had the binding
applied. The smaller quilt is my trial & error, single-block cotton crazy
quilt.

Would it be OK to state, "Began in 1980, completed in 2006." I'd add some
additional personal touches, of course, such as names and places.

Any suggestions?

A couple of people have told me to just put the finished date and not the
beginning one. But I feel that the intervening years are important and can
offer the recipient some very interesting family history.

Thank you!

René

Old September 28th 06, 10:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jessamy

it sounds just right to me :-D

--
Jessamy
In The Netherlands

Old September 28th 06, 11:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

I do agree with putting both dates. It implies 'history' - even if you
say nothing else.
You could perhaps add something along the lines of:
'during these years, there were many important family events:
---- ---- ----'

If you were to type them out on your computer (rather than writing them)
and print them onto transfer paper you could more easily write more than
usual.
The sheets are expensive, so I would suggest trying to get both labels
onto half a sheet each! unless you have plenty of them!
..
In message erMSg.211590$1i1.118958@attbi_s72, René
writes
[...]

Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old September 28th 06, 12:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Louise

I think it's a great idea to put the start date on your labels. Not only
does it give a little idea of the history of the quilt, it could be a good
conversation starter.

--
Louise in Iowa
nieland4 at mchsi dot com

Old September 28th 06, 01:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cats

It's your quilt and label - put anything you want on it.

I have printed labels as small as 2" X 3", but one of my
quilts had 23 labels on the back, each one with a small
drawing and a verse or quote. I made one with a scanned
image of a birth announcement, and another with a copy of a
speech given by the recipient at her graduation. I just
helped make a quilt for a 6yo with a label (picture and
short text) added for each year of her life, and room to add
more on each birthday. These were all "labels" because they
were not pieced into the quilt design, they were all added
on the back of the quilt as personal messages.

I "encourage" (usually with a whip in one hand and a long
cane in the other lol)all my sewers to put a minimum of
information on every quilt (pieced by . . . ., quilted by .
.. . . ., date and location) but I believe in putting
something more personal as well.
--

Cheryl & the Cats
o o o o o o

:

Old September 28th 06, 07:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Boca Jan

Do whatever seems right for you. Remember, there are no quilt police.

--
Boca Jan
Florida - Land of the Hurricanes

Old September 29th 06, 02:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Michelle

Rene,

Imho, you can put anything you want on your label. And I really like the
idea of the date begun and the date finished. I have some UFOs just like
those you are describing--many intervening years between start and
finish--and it seems to me putting both on tells more about the quilt.
--
Michelle in NV
http://community.webshots.com/user/desert_quilter

Old September 29th 06, 03:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Rene:
Started 1980 - finished 2006 is very
good. You could also add the State for
each date, if those are different. (I've
done that: Started 1989 CA - Finished
2005 VA.) It gives history. The range of
years would help a future quilter to
date the fabric, too. (In case no one
else wants to date her.)
PAT

René wrote:

I'm finally in the process of getting some UFOs finished. I started two
quilts in ... ahem .... the 1980s. ...cut...
So, I want to put labels on each of them after I finish up the last
touches. Writing the date I started them, just doesn't seem adequate --
it's not enough at all. ...cut...

Old September 29th 06, 04:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cats

lol

--

: René wrote:
:
: I'm finally in the process of getting some UFOs
finished. I started two
: quilts in ... ahem .... the 1980s. ...cut...
: So, I want to put labels on each of them after I finish
up the last
: touches. Writing the date I started them, just doesn't
seem adequate --
: it's not enough at all. ...cut...

Old October 1st 06, 12:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne in CA

Here's the label on one of my former UFO's. The top was a gift from my
daughter one Xmas, then got put away in a closet and "lost" for a few
years :-(

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...30878969HmUcrQ

Anne in CA
annerudolph AT comcast DOT net
Disclaimer: Any errors in spelling, fact, or tact are transmission errors.
http://community.webshots.com/user/annerudolph3
http://www.frappr.com/rctq
http://annerudolph.home.comcast.net/anne.htm

Quilt Labels Bonnie Quilting 1 October 28th 05 03:25 PM
Anyone in NJ with an Embroidery Machine I can make a couple labels on?? :) Michelle in NJ Quilting 3 January 28th 05 02:13 AM
DMC floss - New labels NancySue Needlework 2 December 4th 04 11:05 PM
Labels for quilts frood Quilting 21 November 6th 04 04:21 PM
Labels Questions Kathy in CA Quilting 17 August 11th 03 09:51 PM