Don't you just hate . . .

Old November 5th 03, 07:42 PM
SlinkyToy

But you know what? Nobody else will notice it

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 13:46:33 -0600, "Karen"
wrote:

when you finish something and THEN you find a mistake!

I just finished my Cascade Magnum from-the-top-down sweater, and was feeling
all proud of myself because it was done in two evenings and was thinking how
nice it looked -- and right smack in the middle of the front is an errant
bar increase. Why? I have NO idea. The only thing I can think of is that
while doing increases for the yoke, and where it separated for raglan
sleeves, there were several increases where markers had been placed. I do
remember at one point looking down and realizing one of my markers had
flipped off, and calculating where it was supposed to go back on. So all I
can think of is that I stuck the marker back on, in the wrong place, and
that's how I ended up with one rogue bar increase in the middle of the
sweater.

I swear, I tried it on a half dozen times, and I never saw it -- until I
took a digital picture of it -- and now that's ALL I can see.

That's what I get for trying to get it done fast. I suppose to look at it
from the bright side, it makes it unique, in case I ever get in a crowd of
people wearing the same sweater out of the same yarn, I'll know which one is
mine.

Karen in MN

Old November 5th 03, 07:53 PM
Noreen's Knit*che

In article ,
wrote..
when you finish something and THEN you find a mistake!

Gosh YES!! And it just GLARES at you because YOU know it's there,
and when one is a perfectionist, it doesn't seem to matter that
no one else notices (unless you point it out).... it's THERE, and
YOU know it.

I just finished my Cascade Magnum from-the-top-down sweater, and was feeling
all proud of myself because it was done in two evenings and was thinking how
nice it looked -- and right smack in the middle of the front is an errant
bar increase. Why? I have NO idea. The only thing I can think of is that
while doing increases for the yoke, and where it separated for raglan
sleeves, there were several increases where markers had been placed. I do
remember at one point looking down and realizing one of my markers had
flipped off, and calculating where it was supposed to go back on. So all I
can think of is that I stuck the marker back on, in the wrong place, and
that's how I ended up with one rogue bar increase in the middle of the
sweater.

Can you take a cable needle and pick it up and ... like TIE it on
the inside?

I swear, I tried it on a half dozen times, and I never saw it -- until I
took a digital picture of it -- and now that's ALL I can see.

Of course, because YOU know it's there.

That's what I get for trying to get it done fast. I suppose to look at it
from the bright side, it makes it unique, in case I ever get in a crowd of
people wearing the same sweater out of the same yarn, I'll know which one is
mine.

LOL, Mirjam says that in the Holy Land, nothing is even TRIED to
be made perfect, as only God is perfect.
That doesn't 'help', but it's a perspective!

Karen in MN

Hugs,
Noreen

--
STRIP *tease* to email me.
Old November 5th 03, 08:27 PM
Anna MCM

Karen wrote:

when you finish something and THEN you find a mistake!

I DO!

I had made the most lovely and complicated of thread doilies, it took
more than a month for finishing it. It was intended to be a masterpiece
(and it is)... I discovered that I missed a treble around a leaf (it was
Irish crochet). I wanted to cry.... impossible to undo or change.
My mother, who is VERY picky as well when it comes to crafts (she did
undo undo a dress when she found a 1 mm mistake!), loved it anyway... :-)))

Hugs,

Anna Maria

Old November 5th 03, 08:31 PM
Ophelia

"Karen" wrote in message

That's what I get for trying to get it done fast. I suppose to look at it
from the bright side, it makes it unique, in case I ever get in a crowd of
people wearing the same sweater out of the same yarn, I'll know which one

is
mine.

I always seem to make a tiny mistake in all of my knitting. Since I only
knit for special people they understand exactly when I say it is my
signature)))

Old November 5th 03, 08:35 PM
Sew-Sew Lady

I can relate to your frustration. I finished something and found a mistake
just last night. I refer you to the "FO, but not really" message in which I
describe my big goof.
Enjoy your unique sweater

Windy

Old November 5th 03, 08:37 PM
Els van Dam

In article , SlinkyToy
wrote:

But you know what? Nobody else will notice it

That is what I think as well Karen,

Els

--
I have added a trap for spammers......niet.....
Old November 5th 03, 08:59 PM
Barbara Vaughan

Karen wrote:

[...]

I heard a story that Amish quilters deliberately make an error in each
quilt because only God is perfect. (Later someone else told me that the
story isn't true, but you can use it if you like to explain your sweater
error.)

I once made a little afghan that had a repeat of 10 rows (or so). After
I had finished a repeat and was half way through the next, I noticed
that the previous repeat had only 9 rows. I should have taken it out,
but I didn't feel like it, because it was really only a practice piece.
The entire time I was working on it, that error looked very obvious to
me. Then I finished it and put it away. A few weeks ago I took it out
again and couldn't find the mistake until I counted the rows of every
repeat.

Barbara
Old November 5th 03, 09:08 PM
Karen

I just read that!! I think I would have been crying.

"Karen" wrote in message
[...]

Don't ya just hate it when.... E J Ralph Beads 5 December 9th 04 10:53 AM
I hate Sunbonnet Sue. MoragP Quilting 14 November 11th 04 04:58 PM
WAY OT -- I hate Spring -- long Rhiannon Needlework 7 March 17th 04 01:02 AM
i HATE facings!!!!! Admiralla Sewing 7 July 17th 03 04:07 PM