What would you do?

Old August 25th 06, 05:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Phyllis Nilsson

Default What would you do?

Many, many years ago my momma told me I needed to get some starch in my
backbone. I did. Works quite well.

Debbie wrote:

Ohhhh, Mary, if only I had the nerve. LOL

Debbie

--
Toledo,Ohio

Old August 25th 06, 06:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debbie

She wants to really impress her bosses but, as other have indicated,
either has no idea of the time and effort involved or is pretending not
to know in order to take advantage of your desire to please her (and
your husband). A little voice of experience in my head suspects the
latter.

Just thinking of it from another angle. Is it usual to give one's
bosses a gift worth that much money? Would they be
embarrassed/suspicious?

Apparently she has them thinking I can get it done in no time and it's not
that big of a deal. Besides, MIL doesn't think they are worth much to begin
with apparently since she's gonna put it in a yard sale.

Do they give her a very expensive gift I wonder? I've never heard of
anyone getting much more than a box of chocolates from an employer, in
which case they would be put in a very awkward position!

Nah, she's has only worked for them for a year part-time so far. She just
likes to "impress" people.

thx, Sally. Sorry it took me so long to respond.

Debbie

--
Sally at the Seaside ~~~~~~~~~~ (uk)

Old August 25th 06, 08:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debbie

I'm not sure my other message went through, but you need to go get that
quilt back before it ends up in the yard sale!!

I told her that day that if she sold it in a yard sale that I wanted to buy
it, so..........

Debbie

Old August 25th 06, 09:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debbie

Yes, but she said it was faded so you wouldn't want it, didn't she? I'd
try
to save it. You'll be sad if it goes.

No, when I looked astonished that she was selling it, she said it was faded
(that's her reasoning for wanting to sell an almost new quilt)

Debbie

Old August 25th 06, 10:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

This whole conversation has me dumbfounded. I think you should get your
quilt back ASAP. If it IS faded, try some of the fabric paints to
re-embellish it. But I still wouldn't let her think it was OK to sell it at
a garage sale that soon after you gave it to her. And as to the request to
make quilts for her bosses....everyone has said it much better than I can.
NO!
KJ

Old August 25th 06, 10:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Nancy in NS

On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 20:54:10 GMT, "Debbie"
wrote:

Gosh, I feel better. I felt like a whiney butt for even grumbling about it,
but when she said she was going to put that one in the yard sale and it
isn't even a year old yet, my blood pressure hit the roof!!!

I swear, I'd have popped a giggy! Honestly! I've never
heard of such a thing -- even if your MIL had NO
appreciation for the value of a quilt, the fact that it was
a gift would make it a keeper in my house!

Tell you what -- tell her you know of someone in NS who'd
love to have it and I'll send her my address! g

As for the quilts for the bosses...she's kidding, right?

Nancy in NS
http://community.webshots.com/user/loves2quilt
Old August 25th 06, 10:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
LN \(remove NOSPAM\)

Take her to your LQS with you.

--
LN in NH (Who has been beading more than quilting in the last 3 years)
http://photos.yahoo.com/lns_obsessed

"Debbie" wrote in message
Hi all,

Just thought I'd get some opinions on a problem that has come up.

When people find out you make quilts they all want one. Problem is, I
don't mind making relatives one for free, but my MIL has asked me to make
her bosses one each (she has two bosses) for Christmas. She says she will
pay me for it. If I charged by the time and effort I put into it, she
couldn't pay me for it. I know she's thinking $20-50.

Another thing that has irked me is that I made my MIL one in January and
she informed me (the same day she asked me to make her bosses one and to
make her a bedspread and matching shams for her bed) that she is going to
put the one I made for her in January in a yard sale. I said, "Don't sell
it in a yard sale, I'll buy it back." And she said, "Well, it's faded."
!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How do I get across to her that this stuff takes a lot of time??? She told
me that making quilts for people at Christmas was a *cheap* way to give
presents, too. I don't think she is trying to be mean, but she has no
idea the time and effort that goes into this stuff. Hubby has somewhat of
an idea of how much time and effort I put into it, but he is real
protective of his mother, so I have to approach this delicately. LOL

Thanks for any help and advice you can give me.

Debbie

Old August 25th 06, 10:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

She gave the quilt to the woman. SHe has no rights to it. She has told
her she would buy it back. At some point you have to just drop the
whole thing, learn a lesson and move on. The woman isn't deserving of a
quilt. Don't give her another. Don't have any dealings with her and
quilts. MIL is trying to get your goat, is ignorant or both. I wouldn't
give her the satisfaction or any more gifts. Let your dh buy her gifts
from now on. She's his mother.
Taria

Old August 26th 06, 12:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debbie

Gosh, I almost cried at this one, really. Lots of things factor into the
whole MIL thing that have made me feel like crap for years, but as I read
all these posts I can see that maybe I'm not so crazy and bitchy after all.
She has only had sons and I've always felt that she was manipulative (and
since she's only had boys they just didn't see it), but I have always been
*corrected* by my husband.

I told my mother about all these conversations in this NG and what my MIL
was requesting and she said, "Well, hey, then make me this and this!!!! She
was just kidding, of course, but making the point that, hey, if she's
requesting all these things, then make me this, this and this, too!!!!!!!

Thx again, y'all
Debbie

No, Nancy. I'm supposed to be just a loving little dip****, apparently. LOL

Old August 26th 06, 01:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debbie

I'm not giving anymore quilts to her, Taria, after getting the feedback that
I did from here! LOL. I really had my eyes opened after getting the messages
from this group.

It was like someone said, she knows that I am trying to please my husband
and is playing on that.

ding, ding,. ding!!!!!!!

Thank you all!!!!

Debbie