Flooring help needed

Old August 12th 05, 12:51 AM
Cheryl

Yeah!! What was it in life? You got us all excited and then left us
hanging.
--
Cheryl ^;;^ ^;;^ ^;;^

However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced......

"~KK in BC~" wrote in message
uhhhhhhh........... kinda scared to ask......... what did it resemble in

its
flatness?

~KK in BC~ being a tad morbidly curious.........

--
-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
I haven't outgrown the need to play with blocks.

"Roberta Zollner" wrote in message
Ha! One night after unwisely drinking a lot of tea just before bedtime,

had to get up at an hour when my eyes don't open. Didn't turn lights on,

can find the bathroom in the dark. Fortunately put my slippers on. The
next morning I found a very large squashed corpse right in the middle of
the bathroom! Vaguely remembered a sort of lump in the floor during my
nighttime excursion...
Roberta in D, who will never ever even think of going barefoot in the

dark

"Hanne Gottliebsen" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
The other night, in the middle of the night, I had to go to the toilet,
and right outside the bathroom door sat this huge spider. Now I wasn't
wearing my glasses even, but still saw it. The spiders here are of

course
quite safe (for humans, not for themselves).

Wnet back through the flat, collected glasses (why? I didn't really

waht
to see it), and shoes (not slippers). Sad to say, the spider did not
survive.

Sorry, but those big ones don't belong in my flat, and I can't get

myself
to handle them alive...

Hanne in London

Cheryl wrote:
I had friends on a rural property years ago. They had three young
children.
As everyone came in through the back door, shoes were stacked there.
No-one
was allowed out without sturdy shoes on - even/especially in hot
weather -
as this was snake territory! This also worked fine for inside - less
dirt
on the carpets for mum to clean.

Until one night we three adults were slumped down on chairs with our
legs
stretched out in front of us, relaxing after a day of tree planting

(500
seedlings, but that's another story).

Suddenly he elbowed me. I looked over and elbowed her. We all sat
there
not moving as the very large scorpion wandered past him and towards

me.
As
soon as it was well past him and obviously eyeing off the females
present he
got up quietly, went into the laundry and returned with a boot.
Squashed
scorpion! Then we all went back to watching the movie. No-one had

said
word.

Old August 12th 05, 12:54 AM
Cheryl

Hey, another advocate for low pile carpet! Why does everyone hate carpet so
much? My commercial blue/grey is fabulous, and it's in a busy classroom.
--
Cheryl ^;;^ ^;;^ ^;;^

However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced......

"Butterfly" wrote in message
I have a high grade, low loft carpet with a GOOD padding underneath in the
Butterfly Studio and I LOVE it. Pins 'rest' on top of the carpet. Got a

dark
green as the color choices were very limited in that grade : ( Shows

threads
and pins but is also EASY for my wheeled chair to slide across....and I
slide it alot from SM to compie and back again. Carpet keeps my feet
warm--I'm practically BAREFOOT year round : ) and I don't have to worry on
'breaking things' or things BOUNCING once they hit the floor....like I

would
if I had vinyl or tile (have had BOTH in previous homes). Tile chips when
the rotary cutter/iron hits it just right and both tile and vinyl are HARD
on your back if you stand for any length of time---no 'give' in it. I also
found them to be cold for most of the year. With carpet, I can go barefoot
: ) Tell my guys YOU step on a pin IN HERE---I don't wanna hear about

it--my
room --my feet. They are careful and already KNOW which side of the

cutting
table would have the 'pins' so they avoid that area....didn't take them

long
to figure that out : )
HTH

Butterfly

"Mystified One" wrote in message
If I had a choice, I'd try and make a quilt design in the room. I know,

know, but it's still fun.

You could do vynyl flooring but put small area rugs (even bathroom rugs)
in key areas. Area rugs are cheap, and certainly not that ugly color.
Keeps your feet warm and it's easy to shake out pins if need be for
sweeping.

"Mary in Washington" wrote in message
ups.com...
Once again, I am calling your expertise and experience concerning the
floor for my sewing room. Without dishing the dirt on the previous
owner, I do wish that his bellybutton pops out, his legs fall off and
the house inspect have to carry him around. What we thought was going
to be a simple update turned into a 3-year construction party.

We have worked hard for 3 years to get this house up to standards. New
carpet, paint, hardwood, tile, moldings, fixtures, so on and so forth
has brought us to the outside paint which will happen next summer and
the floor in my sewing room. This is the space that I have always
coveted and have been thrilled with the set up. The carpet now is gold
shag right out of the 70's and other then a good cleaning before I
move in it has had nothing done to it. I am ashamed to say that I am
even afraid to vacuum in there because when I am in a project it gets
totally trashed. But I pick up and put everything back in order after
each project...but I am sure I miss some pins.

That being said, I am also a bare foot quilter. Can't stand
shoes!!!! In winter I will compromise with socks but that is it and
nice carpet would be nice.

Do I put hard wood, tile, carpet, and if so what kind. Please tell me
what you have and why you love, like or hate it.

My gratitude in advance.

Mary

http://community.webshots.com/user/moondancewa
IN THE COOKIES OF LIFE, FRIENDS ARE THE CHOCOLATE CHIPS.

Old August 12th 05, 12:55 AM
Cheryl

Carpet lovers of the world unite! You have nothing to lose but your cold
feet.
--
Cheryl ^;;^ ^;;^ ^;;^

However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced......

"Allison" wrote in message
I have carpet and like it a lot - it's fairly dense plush so needles
that fall are easy to see. And it's comfortable for sitting on - I put
my cutting mat on the floor to cut fabric.... I have a garbage pail
right by the machine so most of the clippings/thread _don't_ hit the
floor. And my ironing board is set up close to my machine so I only
have to rotate my sewing chair to get to it ..... And since my sewing
space is part of the basement living space it would be way too cold in
the winter to have it any other way but carpeted.

Allison

Old August 12th 05, 12:57 AM
Cheryl

Carpet only zaps if it is all or mostly synthetic.
Same with threads clinging.
--
Cheryl ^;;^ ^;;^ ^;;^ (all carpet lovers)

However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced......

"~KK in BC~" wrote in message
I live WAY north where winter is WINTER and I have a sewing "space" in the
basement of our 3 level split. I am a barefoot quilter. Heck I am barefoot
at all times and just cringe when it snows and I have to wear sox and
shoes/boot instead of my sandals LOL.

I have never been happier with just cheapo vinyl flooring on my floor in

my
sewing "space" not a room, not even big enough to call a room In my last
place I had laminate flooring and it was a dream as well. I can roll from

my
machine to my ironing place made a pad on top of an old cabinet, no room
for the whole board to my cutting place old tiny table with a mat and
dropped pins are not hard to find and threads pick up in a dry duster mop
thingy with ease. NEVER again will I do carpet in a sewing area. too

vivid
of memories of in one day, three of the 5 of us with pins in our feetIt

is
much easier to wipe blood spots off the vinyl than to scrub it out of
carpets :-P

JMO and YMMV but I think carpets are a pain. Another reason for my like of
non carpet is the static factor. No more zapping myself on everything I
touch when rolling around with my chair in the winter months and we have
winter from Oct - April

~KK in BC~ who must just be tough to endure winter in bare feet?

--
-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Old August 12th 05, 02:13 AM
~KK in BC~

http://uk.tickle.com/test/inkblot/start.html

--
-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
I haven't outgrown the need to play with blocks.
http://community.webshots.com/user/koffeekupz

"Diana Curtis" wrote in message
Ahhh, the infamous Rorschach Spider test.
Diana

Old August 12th 05, 02:36 AM
Pat in Virginia

Thank you Elizabeth. I don't understand how I would make the
conversion from a long address to a tiny one. But I'll give it a
try. PAT

Elizabeth Young wrote:
For those of us who want to share the wonderful things we find on the
web but don't want to mess with long addresses, try
tiny.url.com
Takes the iron caddy page address and turns it into
http://tinyurl.com/cmgdj

ta da!

nayy, just happy!

liz young in warm/hot california

Pat in Virginia wrote:

Polly, and others who have pressing issues (irons falling off board.)
You might try the caddy or cage that Clotilde sells. NAYY!! It is
designed so that human and other QI do not knock the iron to floor. Go
to Clotilde.com & search for Iron caddy #285801. Would like to add the
link but it was longer than the Gettysburg Address!

Old August 12th 05, 02:45 AM
Pat in Virginia

Don't worry about rolling around in the chair Mary. It is better
for you to get up and move now and then.
I set up my Ironing station & my Cutting station so I would have
to get up to go to either one.
Quilting is primarily a sedentary activity, and too many quilters
do not get enough exercise anyhow.
JMO... PAT in VA/USA

Mary in Washington wrote:

Many thanks. Had DH read all of the post this morning and he thinks we
need to go with a laminate with the heater under it. It would me
redoing the sub floor, so more work.........frown..... but worth the
extra work and money.

I have concerns about rolling around in my chair but can always toss a
rubber backed runner down on the path. I have a 10' table that holds
my cutting mat, sewing machine and ironing pad and just sail back and
forth. love it

We too are shoes off. Once a month we have a poker party here and even
our friends are comfortable enough to drop thier shoes at the door. I
told them it was not nesessary but everyone just seems to be more
comfortable. I keep a pair of flip flops at every door in the house.
It gets alittle funny when I go to step outside and DH or DS have my
shoes on with thier feet hanging over.

Thanks again for all you advice. I knew that I could count of all of
you and it was ALL taken into consideration and discussed.

Mary

Old August 12th 05, 02:46 AM
Polly Esther

My first employer had a rather picturesque expression that I'm not sure is
okay to use in polite company, but it was "beat with buzzard guts and drug
through Hell backwards". That pretty well describes what out carpet has
been through including hairballs, chainsaws and creative toddlers. Our
carpet is wool. It does not electrocute me in the winter, it is kind to
every step, old cold feet, and it always looks nice. So, yes, Cheryl. When
the carpet lovers of the world unite, come hold my hand. Polly

Old August 12th 05, 04:29 AM
Elizabeth Young

The folks on the tinyurl site have written some nifty sort of program (a
black box to me) that takes a looooooooong url and 'turn it into'* a
small one.
*The 'turns into' part is just, I think, a pointer to the original long url.
Anyway - try it. It's fun!

liz young in warmish california