Quilting activities

Old February 1st 07, 12:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Default OT: prepping your house to sell.

Susan: I think I'd remove something so
large (and probably gorgeous!) so the
prospective buyers will concentrate on
the ROOMS, the FLOORPLAN, and so on. If
furniture or furnishing too unique (good
OR bad) it steals attention. Not a good
thing. PAT

Susan Laity Price wrote:
I keep hearing that one should remove all personal stuff like photos
before showing house so the prospective buyer images themselves living
in the house. Does this mean we have to take our quilts off the beds
and walls? The queen size quilt that hangs in the living room is the
one I am especially concerned about. Does something like that distract
the buyers attention from the rest of the space? I have had different
opinions from different realtors. We will be selling out house in the
next three years so I am beginning to "get it together".

Susan

Old February 1st 07, 03:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
marigold

Default prepping your house to sell.

Thanks for all the suggestions Kate
I had your list in my mind as I was cleaning today.
Laundry/back entry is now cleaned out and lots of excess stuff packed away!

House is now listed, but I have a LOT more cleaning to do yet.
Where we live the market is pretty hot. Not too many places available, so
I'm hoping that is in our favor even though I'm not done cleaning and
preparing.

We have an appointment with the banker tomorrow, now that the appraisals are
done on both this place that we currently own, and the place that we have
made an offer on.

Hopefully, we will have a firm comittment from the bank in the next few
days, and then we can start specific planning for the future.

I'm really hoping that next winter I am quilting in my loft with a fire in
the wood stove!

Marilyn
in Alberta, Canada

"Kate G." wrote in message
On selling a house.... (been there... done that... more than 10 times in
my adult life (almost that many as a child)

If you know you are going to move, invest in a small storage place (you
know those garage like places). Start packing things up now. Leave only
the essentials and a few extra. Pack away out of season clothes from
closet (get a wardrobe box from the U-Haul place). Empty linen closes of
excess towels and sheets. Pare down the books and knick - knacks.
(Eventually you'll need to pack them up anyway -- so get some of your
packing done AND at the same time improve the salability of your home.)

Consider scaling back extra tables, nightstands or chairs.

If you have brightly or boldy painted walls -- consider painting to a more
neutral color. If your home is older -- consider investing in new
hardware in the baths and kitchens. (Amazing how new faucets make the
room look newer and brighter. They aren't that expensive - or difficult
to install.)

If you have a formal dining room, set the table as if you were expecting
guests. Fresh flowers. Cloth napkins... Wine Glasses. Make a buyer feel
ready to "enjoy" themselves.

The less you have, the bigger your house will look. The easier it will be
to keep clean. When house hunting... the houses that are full of clutter
turn me off. As a buyer it is hard to see past it.

Depending upon where you live... make sure your curb appeal is up to
snuff. I live up north -- and when I've had to sell during winter
months -- I get 8x10 pictures of my home's exterior in spring, summer and
fall. Show them the flowers and shrubs. Snow and barren plants do not
feel homey to a buyer.

And during open houses -- put your oven on like 200 (or lowest temp) and
put a big chunk of cookie dough (monster cookie) in the oven. Make sure
your realtor knows it is there -- she can turn off the oven if necessary.

All of these help a buyer feel "at home" in YOUR home... and they leave
with this "gut feeling" that this would be a good place to live.

Kate in MI

PS -- Before you list yours -- visit a few open houses and make a note of
the things that catch your eye -- both positive and negative. "Borrow"
the good ideas... and make sure your home doesn't suffer with the items on
your "bad" list.

"Marigold" wrote in message
Well, the Annual RCTQ Quilting Week came and went in a blur. I did get
some squishies cut and sent, I cut a few squares to be used in the scrap
siggie swag, and I thought many times of getting into the groove, but
just never did get there.
Yesterday the group that I quilt with making charity quilts got together,
and we had a great time catching up on each others lives. One set of
blocks got sewn together, still needs borders. Sashing strips for another
top got cut, and that top is now partially sewn together. We have a
longarmer in our group who brought a now quilted one back and machine
stitched the binding on while there. So that one is now FINISHED.
I was still in a quilting frame of mind when I got back so last night I
cut some more squares for the siggie swap and some strips for "someday".
So now I feel like I have done something quilty!
Today, I have to clean my living room and do some serious planning on
putting this house up for sale. God, I'm dreading this part. The sooner I
get it done tho the sooner it will be overwith. Please keep fingers
crossed that someone will buy it in the first week, so I don't go crazy
trying to keep my house clean.

I'd rather be quilting!

Marilyn
in Alberta, Canada