newbie grinder question

Old July 11th 06, 09:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
EZ$

Default newbie grinder question

Can I get some hints and tips on removing stuck grinder bits? What are
the best tools and or lubricants for removal?

Old July 11th 06, 09:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Moonraker

"EZ$" wrote in message
ups.com...
Can I get some hints and tips on removing stuck grinder bits? What are
the best tools and or lubricants for removal?

An ounce of prevention vs. pound of cure. A little Vaseline on the
bit/shaft, next time.

Having been there, I used a small 2 jaw gear puller and a shot of
penetrating oil.

If the grinder head is well up toward the top of the shaft, meaning you
were grinding on the bottom of the bit, sometimes you can use the
penetrating oil and a small punch and hammer. Knock the bit downward,
loosening the corrosion, and then pull the bit off.

You DID remember to loosen the setscrew, didn't you?

Old July 11th 06, 09:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
[email protected]

EZ$ wrote:
Can I get some hints and tips on removing stuck grinder bits? What are
the best tools and or lubricants for removal?

Home Depot (and probably other similar shops) sells a device for about
$12. called a "faucet puller" that will allow you to easily remove a
stuck grinder head without damaging the grinder.

"Liquid Wrench" or "WD40" (or any brand of penetrating oil) works well
to loosen stuck heads. Regularly wiping the grinder shaft with
vaseline helps ensure heads don't get stuck.

Old July 11th 06, 10:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Moonraker

"EZ$" wrote in message
ups.com...
Can I get some hints and tips on removing stuck grinder bits? What are
the best tools and or lubricants for removal?

A couple more ideas;

A small butane torch heating the brass grinder bit will cause it to expand
faster than the steel grinder shaft. Get it hot and then use a small pry
bar under the bit and lift it. May want to wait until all the WD 40 or
Liquid Wrench has evaporated before you go hitting it with a torch, though.
KA- BOOM. ;)

If nothing else works, you can take a Dremel tool and a cutter wheel and
slit the grinder bit lengthwise right where the flat of the grinder shaft
is. Once you get the cut made, put a screwdriver into the kerf, twist the
screwdriver and spread the old bit enough to lift it off the shaft. I know
that's drastic and a last resort, but that bit WILL come off.

Old July 12th 06, 12:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Glassman

"Moonraker" wrote in message
. ..

"EZ$" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

As a real last resort, I had a customer send a Wizard, with a really
badly stuck head, back to Inland and they promptly sent her a new grinder!

--
JK Sinrod
www.SinrodStudios.com

Old July 12th 06, 01:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
David Billington

glassman wrote:

"Moonraker" wrote in message

"EZ$" wrote in message
roups.com...

[...]

Do the bits stick due to the shaft rusting?. I was wondering because I
have a Kristall 2000S grinder and the problem has never arisen, I
presume the motor shaft is stainless steel.

Old July 12th 06, 03:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
[email protected]

David Billington wrote:

Do the bits stick due to the shaft rusting?. I was wondering because I
have a Kristall 2000S grinder and the problem has never arisen, I
presume the motor shaft is stainless steel.

The bits usually get stuck because you don't use the grinder for a
while and the glass mud seeps down inbetween the shaft and the bit and
then the bit gets stuck. I have seen them rusted but rarely. Take the
bit off now and then and wipe the shaft with a some vaseoline and
they'll come off very easily. I also rub the shaft with some steel wool
every once in a while...keeps it clean and smooth.

Scratch

Old July 12th 06, 07:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
JK@work

"David Billington" wrote in message

glassman wrote:

"Moonraker" wrote in message

"EZ$" wrote in message
roups.com...

[...]

Actually in a perfect world, you're supposed to remove grinding bits and
iron tips after each use..... no one does.

Old July 12th 06, 08:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
David Billington

JK@work wrote:

"David Billington" wrote in message
k...

glassman wrote:

"Moonraker" wrote in message
et...

"EZ$" wrote in message
egroups.com...

[...]

Thanks, I expect that why I have never had a problem as after use I
clean it up and put it back in its drawer with the bit removed and put
the bit back amongst the collection of other bits.

Old July 12th 06, 08:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Moonraker

"David Billington" wrote in message

Thanks, I expect that why I have never had a problem as after use I
clean it up and put it back in its drawer with the bit removed and put
the bit back amongst the collection of other bits.

David, David, David....

Stained Glass shops are SUPPOSED to be cluttered and messy. Whatever are we
going to do with you?

If you clean up your tools and put them up, people will think you haven't
been doing any work. Half the fun is looking for your glass cutter and
pliers.