Last night's machine quilting demo

Old January 23rd 08, 02:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia Altshuler

Default Last night's machine quilting demo

I don't think of myself as any sort of machine quilting expert, but I am
competent at it. My stitches come out even enough, and my quilts hold
together. I manage to avoid the major flaws like puckers, ripples,
loops, and pleats. This has been enough to earn me a measure of fame in
the local guild I rejoined after a 7 year break. The program chair
asked me to do a demo.

It was set-up as stations. In other corners of the room, other people
were demonstrating other quilting skills. Guild members could gather
around one table, watch, ask some questions, wander off and return. And
they asked good questions! Some were beginners who needed to see how I
put the free-motion foot on my machine and learn what feed dogs are.
Others were examining my stitches closely and noticing how often my top
thread shows on the bottom. I'd put myself to the test by bringing demo
pieces consisting of a quilt sandwich with unbleached muslin on top and
bottom, and then using green thread on the top and orange thread in the
bobbin so everyone could see. Normally I'd match the thread to the
fabric so flaws are minimized.

I brought books for them to look through. Harriet Hargrave and Maurine
Noble. They've been on my shelf for ages. It could do me good to have
another look through them for some more advanced techniques.

The hardest part of doing a demo like that is packing up the car and
remembering everything: sewing machine, practice sandwiches, books,
smart-alecky hand-out of frequently asked questions. I forgot scissors
and made do with a seam ripper. I would have shown them how to finish
off threads if I'd had a needle.

A night like that did my ego a world of good. It was like being
surrounded by admirers. I imagine Sheppe used to feel like that at the
vet. (Unlike the current dog, the old dog adored people and hated being
alone. Poking and prodding never bothered her as long as people were
paying attention to her. At the vet, she'd be surrounded by 3 people
all looking at her, and she was on a table!) Today I'm paying for good
time with a sore neck and back. I've taken my meds and will go to the
gym to see if the exercise helps.

--Lia

Old January 23rd 08, 04:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews Moore

Sounds like you had a LOT of fun!
Barbara in FL

Old January 23rd 08, 05:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
threads

Hi Lia,

I know exactly how you feel. I have taught free motion quilting for
15+ years and love demoing for quilt shows and guilds. It is my high,
too. :-)

Glad you had the opportunity to exhibit your talent that way. It is
fun and great practice for you. A crowd would stress some people with
lesser confidence.

I would love to see pictures of your work.

Piece,

Marsha in nw, Ohio

Old January 23rd 08, 06:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia Altshuler

threads wrote:

I would love to see pictures of your work.

It's been ages since I took new pictures or put them up, but you can see
a little of my machine quilting he

http://www.julia.rocky-dog.com/index.htm

http://www.julia.rocky-dog.com/APinkjewelboxcloseup.jpg

--Lia

Old January 23rd 08, 11:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_2_]

VERY well done, Lia. Atta girl. Sounds like you did a super job of
planning to have such a successful demonstration. My machine quilting is
adequate but I'm not real sure I would dare demonstrate with orange / green
thread. We must award you a medal for bravery. I'm just so proud of you.
Polly

Old January 24th 08, 10:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Susan Torrens

My guild does a mini workshop night every year, and I was asked to demo a
couple of years ago. It really is a rewarding experience.
While I am in Florida, I head up a group of quilters who meet once a week.
I find a project for them to try, then help the beginners, while the rest
help each other. We have a great group, lots of fun and laughs, and
finished projects each winter.
They group always wants to pay me for my time, but I enjoy it so much, their
friendship is the best reward!

--
Susan
http://community.webshots.com/user/sbtinkingston

Old January 25th 08, 12:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

Good for you! Sounds like fun.
I did a demo once, very much like yours. My favorite free-motion quilting
question was, "Which button do you press to get the machine to do that?"
Roberta in D, wishing I knew the answer

Old January 25th 08, 12:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

Love the flamingoes! I remember a discussion of your flamingo quilt some
years ago, glad to see it finished.
Roberta in D

"Julia Altshuler" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
. ..

Old January 25th 08, 03:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia Altshuler

Roberta Zollner wrote:
Good for you! Sounds like fun.
I did a demo once, very much like yours. My favorite free-motion quilting
question was, "Which button do you press to get the machine to do that?"

I didn't get that question at the demo, but I did get one that had me
stumped at an earler show and tell. I'd completed a scrap quilt
designed to use up the 2" squares I've been collecting since forever.
Each block was a 9 patch within a square. I got lots of nice
compliments. Then on the way out to the parking lot, someone sidled up
to me and asked me how I got my points to match up. She seemed to think
there was single answer and that I was going to reveal it to her while
my hands were full.

Uh, cut accurately, sew an accurate quarter inch seam allowance, press
one seam in one direction and the other seam in the other, use enough
pins, know how to use your sewing machine, check for mistakes and
correct them, practice. Did I leave anything out? Oops, here's my car.

--Lia