3rd day into reclaiming quilt room

Old January 7th 04, 02:09 PM
Diana Curtis

You know... all this talk about glasses makes me think Id like something
other than the nice coca cola glasses of Mikes... but a set would soon
become not a set around here. So, what to do? I think this summer I will
scour the garage sales and find 8 'similar to each other' glasses. That way
if one breaks I can go look for another one thats similar. What are the
chances I can find a 'set' like this? :-)
Diana

--
Queen of FAQs
Royal Peace Maker

"Jalynne" wrote in message
link.net...
ROFL, yep...i know no one ELSE would notice, but if it's in my home, it

drives me
absolutely bonkers.
--
Jalynne - Keeper of the Quilt for ME club list

"Butterfly" wrote in message
When I purchased the set of dishes--they had 8 place settings and ONLY 4
glasses and 4 mugs to match them.no cup/saucers either.BUT I finally

have a
set of 8 in dishes and a 'set of 4glasses/4cups' for drinking 'thingies'

..
When we had Cmas company--it worked out perfectly--4 used glasses and 4

used
cups for their choice of Beverage : )
Butterfly (and I don't think anyone noticed )
"Jalynne" wrote in message
link.net...
I am quite the opposite. I have to have 8 matching glasses at all

times.
To match
my dishes...8 place settings. I'm insane, and happily so. Good news

is,
that I get
rid of the glasses that are "extra" so i don't accumulate too much

stuff.
--
Jalynne - Keeper of the Quilt for ME club list

"Butterfly" wrote in message
Drinking glasses? Do NOT, repeat, do NOT go to my cupboards and

expect
find a set of them....you won't. I have this really strange habit of
dropping things like glasses /dishes/ you know the stuff you usually

have
SETS of......
hmmmmm, maybe I should hit a few garage sales this summer and

actually
BUY a
set of glasses--then it might not bother me too much when I drop

them......
Butterfly (I have ONE set of glasses that are only used for very

special
occasions--just so I can SAY I have 4 matching glasses---weren't

those
the
10 cent glasses you got this summer? : )
"Diana Curtis" wrote in

message
Im not horrified, and I think to some extent most of us can relate

in
one
way or another. Its so easy to aquire *things* nowadays and so

hard to
get
rid of them that its made us into a nation of packrats with to

much
stuff!
Just watch the plethora of shows on cable channels dealing with

organizing
'stuff'. Its horrifying! And we keep buying MORE. If you dont

believe
me
go
to any decent sized garage sale and look at how many drinking

glasses
are
for sale.
Just so you know, this rant doesnt apply to quilt and craft

books,
supplies, tools or materials. The key to keeping those from being

problem
is good storage techniques. ;-)

Diana
--
Queen of FAQs
Royal Peace Maker
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44

"cozy" wrote ...
Diana.. wow, I'm glad people are enjoying my efforts... I have

admit
that
before I began sharing it I was a little scared, thinking people

would
be
horrified at the state of mess I have going here!

Old January 7th 04, 02:38 PM
Kate Dicey

Butterfly wrote:

I have 3 plates 1 saucer and 2 bowls left of them. DH got them for me when I
was at my 'worst' of breaking stuff.
They aren't suppose to break Honey......

There's only one answer: Tupperware!
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old January 7th 04, 02:38 PM
Kate Dicey

cozy wrote:

Diana.. wow, I'm glad people are enjoying my efforts... I have to admit that
before I began sharing it I was a little scared, thinking people would be
horrified at the state of mess I have going here!

We are - horrified that your health has let you down so far that it has
got in such a mess! However, if you pop over to my web site (URL below)
you can see that mine was also in a dire state, and took some clearing!
Unfortunately, as I am at present advised against lifting boxes of
fabric due to the gall bladder extraction on 23 December, mine has
reverted to chaos... I think it's called entropy!

So many of us have had health and stress issues leading to a like state
in our sewing spaces that we do understand, and cheer you on every step
of the way.
Old January 7th 04, 02:38 PM
Kate Dicey

Butterfly wrote:

When I purchased the set of dishes--they had 8 place settings and ONLY 4
glasses and 4 mugs to match them.no cup/saucers either.BUT I finally have a
set of 8 in dishes and a 'set of 4glasses/4cups' for drinking 'thingies' .
When we had Cmas company--it worked out perfectly--4 used glasses and 4 used
cups for their choice of Beverage : )

I think I could open a china shop... The Good China (actually not china
at all, but Hornsea's Contrast pattern earthenware) set has 8 cups and
saucers, 8 tea plates, 8 breakfast plates, 17 dinner plates*, 8 desert
dishes, and 8 soup bowls, plus a teapot, a milk jug, a cream jug, a
butter box, 2 gravy boats, two vegetable dishes, and two ashets!

The every day china (Polish porcelain) has 12 dinner plates, 12 side
plates and 12 soup/cerial bowls. Last time I counted there were 42 mugs
in the cupboard... We have 20 wine glasses in the sideboard and a box
full in the loft, a set of crystal desert dishes, and LOTS of beer
glasses... There is also a set of blue and white china bowls, a heap of
little china rice dishes, the Chinese tea pot and cups...

All this (and more! I have piles of casserole and serving dishes as
well!). I have cutlery in heaps too! I could feed 30 without borrowing
a plate or fork or spoon! WHY??? There isn't room for 30 folk in the
house!

Get rid of it? No, no... I might want it next month!

*We started with a set of 8 of everything, and then I bought an extra
set of dinner plates, because they are the most useful size for putting
cakes and sandwiches and stuff on, and an extra one in case we broke
one... Sensible, or wot!
Old January 7th 04, 02:39 PM
Kate Dicey

cozy wrote:

today my mom and I had a wonderful time, I returned home around 7:30pm and
goofed around awhile. Then around midnight I went back into the 'pit'.
I worked on top the table, moving scrapbook supplies, odd quilting notions
like the little 6" square up, 4 different rotary cutters, bobbins, various
containers like old candy tins with stuff in them, and (drum roll) the
Wittman's candy box has arrived! It's was opened and found to have lots of
goodies inside, like a heart shaped chalk wheel, varioius packs of different
size quilting needles, 2 thimbles, several quilting threads that match the
different projects I had last been working on (a million years ago), a tiny
pair of scizzors that had a piece of yarn tied thru one finger hole and the
other end tied thru a spool of thread. Ha, ha, my cheap/lazy answer to the
ones you make by hand, but take all day. This way the yarn goes around your
neck and you have your thread and scizzors RIGHT there to snip a new piece
without budging and chasing falling/tumbling spools, a roll of 1/4" quilting
tape, and one of those tiny little pin cusions that fit in a plastic pop
bottle cap and have elastic to go around your finger - which that part seems
to be missing....hmmmmm and a cross stitch needle!
OK, this is getting pretty good, but tomorrow I will continue to clean
this room, as I need to verify just what all this stuff is and separate out
the 'garbage' that don't belong in there that is taking up valuable room
that I could be playing in!

I'm getting jealous! I need to go clean up my own space now!
Old January 7th 04, 02:53 PM
cozy

ha, ha, I'm not sure I'd want to put that much evidence against me online!
But it was a room with only a path, and I'm sure that path wouldn't even be
there if it weren't that you had to go THRU the room to get to the bathroom
and laundry area!
There is also an organ in there that can't be seen, if that gives you
an idea!

Patti wrote in message
Hullo Cozy
I think I'm as excited as you are that the candy box of goodies has
surfaced!
I wonder if you took a photograph of the 'before' situation?! This
would be one terrific 'before' and 'after' comparison, by the sound of
it g
But, I dare say you didn't, because you never dreamt you would be so
successful, did you? g
Just imagine, a week or so intensive work and you have 'created'
something marvellous.
.
In article , cozy
writes
[...]

Best Regards
pat on the hill

Old January 7th 04, 03:07 PM
cozy

Kate - at least yours was quilting room stuff! Mine's just been dumped in
till there was no place left to dump another load. You have a very nice
room!

Old January 7th 04, 03:11 PM
cozy

Ohhh.... that's going to take awhile. I remember it took months for it
to be ok to lift a gallon of milk after one of my surgeries. I had to pay
top dollar for those little half gallons until it stopped feeling funny
inside if I tried to pick up a gallon. Mind you, the doctor thought I
should be able to do ANYTHING, only advise he gave me was not to drive for a
week - bah, use your own head!

Old January 7th 04, 03:26 PM
Kate Dicey

cozy wrote:

Kate - at least yours was quilting room stuff! Mine's just been dumped in
till there was no place left to dump another load. You have a very nice
room!

Thank you. It's a bit multi-purpose, seeing as it houses the major
portion of our joint library as well as the spare bed/s!

Old January 7th 04, 03:27 PM
Diana Curtis

Mine said.. if it hurts, dont do it. I thought that was uncommon good sense,
except sometimes I would do something and it wouldnt hurt till the next day.
Diana, still feeling inspired by this surge of cleaning and organizing going
on.

--
Queen of FAQs
Royal Peace Maker