Any other newlyweds or under 30yrs?

Old December 21st 03, 02:29 AM
Natalie

Default Any other newlyweds or under 30yrs?

I've recently enterd a new stage in my life while simultaniously
acquiring a new hobby.

I love my new hobby (quilting silly!) and would love to share it with
anyone who might be on the same path right now...

(I am 26 years old, and I was married last august.)
Old December 21st 03, 02:58 AM
Keith Pope

I'm 29 and was married three years ago. I think that still makes me a
newlywed! I'm also so a new mom of a ten-month-old baby girl, and that makes
quilting quite a challenge. Right now, I'm sort of sticking to small
projects, stockings, bag holders (Thanks Joy!), etc, but someday I'll make a
bed quilt. Sigh. Someday. Maybe when she starts sleeping through the
night...
Michelle in Gander

m...

Old December 21st 03, 03:32 AM
The Brown Family

Well Michelle, I just learned something about you that I never knew. Now I
know a little more about you.

Thanks, Lorraine
http://members.rogers.com/poodiac/lorrainesworld.htm
"Keith Pope" wrote in message
I'm 29 and was married three years ago. I think that still makes me a
newlywed! I'm also so a new mom of a ten-month-old baby girl, and that

makes
quilting quite a challenge. Right now, I'm sort of sticking to small
projects, stockings, bag holders (Thanks Joy!), etc, but someday I'll make

bed quilt. Sigh. Someday. Maybe when she starts sleeping through the
night...
Michelle in Gander

m...

Old December 21st 03, 03:34 AM
Charlotte Hippen

Well, I've been married for 5 years and have 2 kids so I don't really
qualify as a newlywed anymore. However, I'm 28 and have just recently
started quilting myself. Welcome to the group. If you haven't figured it
out yet, this is a great group and full of useful information both on and
off topic. I don't post much, but I love to read!!!

Charlotte

m...

Old December 21st 03, 03:45 AM
Renee Clark

26 too! Four years of quilting, and all the UFO's and WIP's to prove it ,
about a year and a half of kicking around here in RCTQ :-)
Renee

m...

Old December 21st 03, 03:58 AM
Mystified One

I've been 29 for the last 5 years, so I hope you don't exclude me from
having something in common. I'm about to get married again, and together we
have a total of 4 children, ranging in age from 3 to 13.

Everyone needs a hobby, and so far either quilting has kept me sane, or it
has allowed me to go deeper into an escape when I need some private time.
Trust me, with 4 kids and our current legal situation, I really need it. I
feel productive, and I get respect (as if I know something, lol!).

At any rate, probably like most quilters, I have made more quilts in my mind
than I have ever put to fabric. I'm a feminist, and I find that quilting is
almost everything regarding women's history.

Women in early colonial America made their own cloth. They had to grow
linen, harvest, rend it, dye it, spin it, and weave it! They used this to
make clothes, and saved the scraps as much as possible. They'd reuse
clothing that had worn out, and they weren't very attractive. Later, women
used quilting in order to stay connected to each other and the community.
You'd go to quilting bees in order to get your social contact. Stitches had
to be perfect.

Quilting is math. You've got geometry, you've got measurements and
calculations of everything from block size to yardage.

Young girls were taught to sew from an early age. Embroidery samplers were
used to teach them their alphabet.

As of now, I learned to sew when I was 12 on a Singer featherweight. It was
my mom's machine, and I wish my dad hadn't given it to a granddaughter of
his second wife, but that was his choice.

I love sewing and embroidery, but I've found that making clothes isn't
cost-effective anymore. Quilts last forever. I have two antique quilts.
One is a crazy quilt, made with silks and is turn of the century, with
perfect stitches and motifs that are stunning to look at. The second was my
grandfather's baby quilt. He was born in 1906, and it is very precious to
me, especially since I lost him 7 years ago. I have the same hopes for the
quilts I make today. Someday they may be what keeps my descendants
connected to their heritage.

Keep on quilting, and I hope you keep enjoying it!

m...

Old December 21st 03, 03:59 AM
Mystified One

When my son was a baby, he'd nap about an hour a day. I found that to be
the perfect time to piece one block. It took me 4 months, but I made a
beautiful quilt during his naps!

"Keith Pope" wrote in message
I'm 29 and was married three years ago. I think that still makes me a
newlywed! I'm also so a new mom of a ten-month-old baby girl, and that

makes
quilting quite a challenge. Right now, I'm sort of sticking to small
projects, stockings, bag holders (Thanks Joy!), etc, but someday I'll make

bed quilt. Sigh. Someday. Maybe when she starts sleeping through the
night...
Michelle in Gander

m...

Old December 21st 03, 05:31 AM
nzl*

married 5yrs with 2 kids, 28yrs old and she quilts herself.
WOW, what a gal, Charlotte.
i'm just a wuss i think, cant quite manage quilting myself yet.
snorflin' in the 99%humidity in 'the land of the long white cloud'
jeanne
--
http://community.webshots.com/user/nzlstar

"Charlotte Hippen" wrote...

Old December 21st 03, 05:53 AM
Sindir

I'm 28 (29 in January) and have been married 5 years (6 in February). We
have a little boy that is 2.7. I just started quilting myself. So far,
I've made two crib size quilts and one quilt that started out to be a double
but turned out to be about a queen size.

Sindir-ella
m...

Old December 21st 03, 06:26 AM
Valkyrie

ohhhhhhhhhh geeeeeeze, I have bathrobes older than these kids.......

*feeling depressed, needing chocolate*
Val

m...