OT good gift ideas?

Old December 10th 10, 01:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maureen Wozniak[_2_]

Default OT good gift ideas?

On Fri, 10 Dec 2010 05:54:25 -0600, NightMist wrote
(in article ):

My puzzler this year is the friend who is visiting from China with his
wife. He is not a problem, my DH and he have been friends since
elementary school. I have no idea whatsoever what to get for his wife,
who is from Shanghai. This will be the first time I have met her. They
will be going back to China so I don't want to give something that will
be a problem during travel.

NightMist

Wow, that is tough. My go to gift for people I don't know well is some kind
of local food specialty. But that won't work in this case. Is there
something special that your particular area is known for? Our park district
has one of the few carillons in the world with a full set of bells. They
make up CDs of the bells for fundraising. We've given several of those over
the years, especially the Christmas ones.

Maureen

Old December 10th 10, 03:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Allison

What a great idea!! I'd never heard of a mezzaluna until just now. I
think I will go hunting for one (or better yet...drop a hint that I'd
like one for Xmas LOL)

As for your young men....I need help there, too. DD's BF will be with
us at Xmas and I am blank on ideas. I was planning on asking her what
he'd like but it would be more fun to do it "on my own" with the
group's help.

Allison

On 09/12/2010 8:37 PM, Polly Esther wrote:
Tell us your greatest hits. Here's mine.
Years ago, I started giving the ladies in the family really neat cooking
stuff instead of jewelry they might not like or something else that I
thought was pretty and they tucked away in a drawer, never to see
daylight again.
I wasn't certain that they would go for the idea but they have all LOVED
it. Every one of them. Isn't it awful that brides attempt to cook with
cheap junk and stuff from granny's attic? ( I used to have cookie sheets
that wouldn't be good for a 1958 Studebaker oil drip pan.)
Last year's great hit? I gave each of them a mezzaluna. It is a curved
chopping blade with a handle and a bowl to match. They've all turned
into chopping maniacs - making salsa and topping all manner of stuff
with pecans and assembling fine salads. It really is such a cool tool
that all of them have been searching high and low so they could make a
hit with mezzalunas for their friends. You can see one at
http://www.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx?...emId =14d3be0

Hoping you have a great idea - there are two twenty year-old guys who
will have nothing under the tree here unless you can think of something.
We'll give them money, of course, but can't think of anything else. Help
me? Polly

Old December 10th 10, 03:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Louise in Iowa[_2_]

Several years ago we gave our niece and nephew a gift card to a local movie rental place, along with some
microwave popcorn and some "movie candy": Milk Duds, Good 'N Plenty, Mike and Ike, etc.

The candy makes for a pretty heavy package, and since we have to mail presents to our grandchildren, we
changed it up a little for them. We still sent a movie rental card, but instead of candy, we put in a big
package of popped, flavored popcorn. We have a place in town where you can buy a bag that combines plain,
caramel, and cheese corn (all mixed up together), and the kids love going there when they visit.

Today you might have to replace the movie rental card with a card for iTunes downloads or something like that,
but you're creative - you'll figure something out!
--
Louise in Iowa
nieland1390@mchsi dot com

Old December 10th 10, 05:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells[_3_]

We have a gourmet food shop near, so I buy everyone 'something
different' as a stocking filler. Today I got 'the boys' a barbeque sauce
but more upmarket from the usual supermarket one, DSis has an
Elderflower and Apple sauce for the top of her icecream. DD has a
supply of chocolate suitable for vegans - one is orange and geranium and
the other chilli which I am assured is acceptable! They have lots of
tempting things, including striped spaghetti! Its a shop attached to a
tourist attraction so things seem to be a bit expensive, but Christmas
comes but once a year - and it saves stocking filler dilemmas.

Christmas shopping now finished, including for the pets who send my cats
Christmas presents.

Sally at the Seaside ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk
http://picasaweb.google.com/SallySeaside

Old December 10th 10, 09:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Donna in Idaho[_2_]

That curved chopping blade sure looks like the ulu knives that we bought in
Alaska! However, I really like the idea of the chopping bowl that goes in
the mezzluna set. My daughter has been asking me what I want for
Christmas - I may tell her I want a mezzaluna!

Donna in Idaho

signature database 5693 (20101210) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5693 (20101210) __________

http://www.eset.com

Old December 11th 10, 12:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

On 10/12/2010 10:19, Roberta wrote:
When I can't think of a guy present, he gets a Swiss Army Knife (if he
hasn't had one already). They come in dozens of cool varieties, e.g.
geek knives, golf knives, hiker knives, biker knives. One is a little
USB stick with knife blade. There's a credit-card size (my personal
fave) that includes a small knife, nail file, toothpick, scissors,
teensy ballpoint, tweezers, a straight pin, plus inch and centimeter
measures. You can get it with or without LED light. Always prepared!

My favourite one is the Bernina one:
http://www.wenger.ch/bernina-504-6-504-042-013

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old December 11th 10, 08:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sartorresartus

20 yr old boys? T-shirts. There are some with some really witty
slogans on that are always a hit. Google and enjoy. They do mugs
(you can never have too many mugs as a student) and so on, too.

Chinese visitors? May be a picture or plate of your local area, or a
calendar showing the same. Think what you would like to remember a
visit to another country. It's the simple things that remind us
whilst we use them. When I visited the States I ransacked the
supermarkets. I bought disposible chopsticks (I'd never seen those
before... I know...), a street artist drawing; a wind chime. OK daft
things, but every time I look at them, the memories flood back.

Perhaps even a cowboy doll or a snow globe; it doesn''t have to be
fancy.

Oh, and I raided ever LQS I could trap anyone into taking me to... lol

GADGETS! =D

Nel
(Gadget Queen)
Old December 11th 10, 03:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maureen Wozniak[_2_]

On Fri, 10 Dec 2010 09:03:31 -0600, Allison wrote
(in article ) :

What a great idea!! I'd never heard of a mezzaluna until just now. I
think I will go hunting for one (or better yet...drop a hint that I'd
like one for Xmas LOL)

As for your young men....I need help there, too. DD's BF will be with
us at Xmas and I am blank on ideas. I was planning on asking her what
he'd like but it would be more fun to do it "on my own" with the
group's help.

Allison

For those of you looking for gifts for young men, try T-shirts, mugs,
calendars, etc. from
http://www.despair.com

The company caters to "disaffected college students" and similar types.
Actually, the "demotivators" are very popular at my office where someone has
hung those silly motivational posters in every conference room.

I wish they still made post-it notes.

Maureen

Old December 11th 10, 03:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Those are some great suggestions. As gadger queen I hope you raided LQS for
gadgets. It is your duty! : )

Taria

Old December 11th 10, 08:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN[_5_]

This is the best vegetable brush I've ever used -- and I've gotten
positive comments when I've given them for gifts.
http://tinyurl.com/2uc3jbu or
http://www.amazon.com/Chefn-PBSH-126CH-Palm-Brush-Cherry/dp/B000ROH0UW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1292100668&sr=8-1.

There is a similar peeler. I like it for apples, not so much for
potatoes. http://tinyurl.com/39zojnb or
http://www.amazon.com/Chefn-Palm-Peeler-PP-CDU/dp/B000EZKYHA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1292100668&sr=8-2

I've also gotten them at Bed, Bath, & Beyond and other places.

Julia in MN

[...]

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/default.html

Looking for gift ideas? BeadsOutWest Beads 2 October 18th 06 11:50 PM
Looking for gift ideas? BeadsOutWest Marketplace 0 October 18th 06 05:02 PM
OT(?): Any gift ideas? Marisa2 Beads 8 December 19th 03 08:04 PM
Gift Ideas Secrets of Embroidery Marketplace 0 November 19th 03 11:28 AM
Gift Ideas Secrets of Embroidery Marketplace 0 November 19th 03 11:27 AM