ME: Dakota Colors?

Old October 7th 09, 01:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting,alt.sewing.mach-embroider
Dr. Zachary Smith

Default Dakota Colors?

Yeah, Homer just wouldn't look right without the right color yellow
head... :-)

Doc

On Oct 6, 6:13*pm, "J*" wrote:
fair enough.
*j.

Old October 7th 09, 02:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting,alt.sewing.mach-embroider
Leslie& The Furbabies in MO.

Default ME Threads [Was: ME: Dakota Colors?]

Okay- I've had the flu for two weeks and still not thinking straight. It's
TriloBAL thread by Coats and Clark that I have on hand. Sorry! ;-)

http://www.coatsandclark.com/Product...ery+Thread.htm

http://www.equilter.com/cgi-bin/webc...html?catid=190

http://www.superiorthreads.com/shop/...-yds/products/

http://www.syntheticthread.com/superbrite.htm

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

"Dr. Zachary Smith" wrote in message
On Oct 6, 3:25 pm, "Leslie& The Furbabies in MO."
wrote:
I am just about to start playing with the trilobars so haven't
formed any opinions yet. I can tell you that they look and feel very much
like my rayon threads and may be a good substitute for you to use due to
the
fragile nature of the rayons. I just did a 'pull til it breaks' test on a
rayon and a trilobar and the trilobar is substantially stronger.

Trilobars? Isn't that a fossil? :-)
http://brianlean.files.wordpress.com...trilobite1.jpg

Nevermind... I'll look it up...

Doc

Old October 7th 09, 03:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting,alt.sewing.mach-embroider
Dr. Zachary Smith

On Oct 7, 9:25*am, "Leslie& The Furbabies in MO."
wrote:
Okay- I've had the flu for two weeks and still not thinking straight. *It's
TriloBAL thread by Coats and Clark that I have on hand. *Sorry! *;-)

Well, that explains why "trilobars" sent me to a slew of medical sites
- Ewww! :^D

Doc
Old October 7th 09, 04:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting,alt.sewing.mach-embroider
Patti

I'm impressed with the first word you used. I wouldn't have known it
gg

..
In message , Leslie& The Furbabies
in MO. writes
Okay- I've had the flu for two weeks and still not thinking straight.
It's TriloBAL thread by Coats and Clark that I have on hand. Sorry!
;-)

http://www.coatsandclark.com/Product...hreads/Triloba
l+Polyester+Embroidery+Thread.htm

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old October 7th 09, 04:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting,alt.sewing.mach-embroider
Bev in TX

I have tried several brands of machine embroidery thread with my Janome
MC10001. Of all the ones that I tried, there is only one brand that I had
real difficulty with -- Coats & Clark. I tried their rayon & polyester
embroidery threads and had the same problem with both, though I think their
rayon is the worst. Their thread is not twisted as tightly as other brands,
and this caused me no end of difficulty with it (breakage, thread splitting,
etc). I purchased is at a 50% off sale at Joann's, but this was truly a
case of "you get what you pay for". I now wish that I had spent that money
more wisely.

There is some variation in texture between other brands, but they all worked
well with my machine. Given those variations, you would need to test them
out to see what works best for your project. They were touting Floriani
thread as extra special at my LQS (their metallic thread is supposed to be
made with a different process than the other mfgs), but I have not tried it
yet (it costs more than the thread I normally buy). Their polyester thread
appears to be a bit more lustrous than some, so I plan to try it out some
day.

Regarding thread colors, I just searched and the following site has links to
many machine embroidery thread color conversion charts.
http://www.sewterific.com/threadcharts.htm
For example, if you know a Madeira rayon thread color, then you would use
these charts to find a closely (or the closest) matching color in another
thread type (e.g., polyester) or another mfg.
--
Bev in TX

"Dr. Zachary Smith" wrote in message
.... portion snipped ...
I *am* asking for opinions on which brands of thread are better/worse.
Things are just more complicated than brand x vs. brand y.

If someone had experience that brand x were terrible, kept breaking in
the machine, faded, etc. or that brand y was really good and they
wouldn't consider using anything else... that kind of stuff (the usual
opinion fests here on RCTQ :-) it might help me figure this mess
out. OTOH, if all embroidery threads are pretty much the same, that
would help too. We just don't know, so I asked.

Doc

Old October 7th 09, 06:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting,alt.sewing.mach-embroider
Pati, in Phx

Trilobals are polyester, with a high sheen. Somewhat more colorfast
than rayon, definitely stronger than rayons, especially when wet. G
All trilobals are not created equal... same as any thread. I have
used, and have some of the Superior threads that are trilobal poly,
and they are great, But a bit on the fine side.
Coverage will vary depending on the size of the thread and the density
of the stitching. g
I too, love Sulky threads--rayons, metallics, slivers, and
holographic-- but understand some of both the strengths and weaknesses
of them. And different machines do seem to react differently to
different threads. Play with tension as needed and be prepared to do
several "test runs" to get things straightened out. If the test runs
work, then use them. G If not, figure out what to do and make notes
on/about it. Keep the "losers" with the notes to help remind you what
you did/didn't do. It is a learning process, and that means making
less than perfect examples along the way.

As to color choices.... yes each company has their own set up, and
different design designers/digitizers will use their "favorite".
However, if you have a color picture you want to get close to, you can
use whatever specific colors/brands you want to use. G I am one who
usually wants to change things up...and choose my own colors for a
design. Others are not comfortable doing that, at least at first. So
whatever works, works.
Have fun,
Pati, in Phx

n Oct 6, 12:25*pm, "Leslie& The Furbabies in MO."
wrote:
Good thoughts! *I only do free motion machine embroidery (and LOVE it!!!) so
I can't speak on threads for an embroidery machine but I've had great luck
with Janome brand rayon thread (yep, same as my beloved sm!) and Sulky brand
rayon (LOVE rayons!). *Sulky metallics have never given me any troubles but
I am careful to get my tension right and use the proper needles for any
sewing job.

I've heard good things about the polyester trilobar thread (I think it was
Kathy A. and where *is* that gal???)- I have Coats and Clark trilobar from
Joann's. *I am just about to start playing with the trilobars so haven't
formed any opinions yet. *I can tell you that they look and feel very much
like my rayon threads and may be a good substitute for you to use due to the
fragile nature of the rayons. *I just did a 'pull til it breaks' test on a
rayon and a trilobar and the trilobar is substantially stronger.

Not much help, but I *always* have an opinion!

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old October 7th 09, 06:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting,alt.sewing.mach-embroider
Taria[_2_]

Pati, I just wanted to say thank you for always jumping and
sharing your vast knowledge of threads (and other quilt
help) I appreciate it and know it has to help others too.
Taria

Old October 7th 09, 11:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting,alt.sewing.mach-embroider
J*

pardon?
j.

"Dr. Zachary Smith" wrote ...
Yeah, Homer just wouldn't look right without the right color yellow
head... :-)

Doc

"J*" wrote:
fair enough.
j.

Old October 8th 09, 12:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting,alt.sewing.mach-embroider
Herb

J* wrote:

pardon?
j.

Homer Simpson - re-colored....

"Dr. Zachary Smith" wrote ...
Yeah, Homer just wouldn't look right without the right color yellow
head... :-)

Doc

"J*" wrote:

fair enough.
j.

Old October 8th 09, 12:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting,alt.sewing.mach-embroider
J*

i got the hair colour part but i dont see the relevence.
nevermind tho, it must be a cultural thing and have no culture as a back up
to understanding most things in this world...
j.

"Herb" wrote ...
Homer Simpson - re-colored....

J* wrote:
pardon?

"Dr. Zachary Smith" wrote ...
Yeah, Homer just wouldn't look right without the right color yellow
head... :-)

"J*" wrote:
fair enough.

Colors [email protected] Yarn 2 April 2nd 08 05:39 AM
Quilt Shops in South Dakota Donna in NE La.[_2_] Quilting 3 July 31st 07 12:10 AM
Ot about colors Mirjam Bruck-Cohen Needlework 116 January 30th 06 10:42 PM
About colors Pirjo Ilvesvuori Needlework 2 March 25th 04 06:25 PM
Crazy Horse Memorial in South Dakota Omar Zia Carving 0 January 4th 04 04:27 PM