ME: Dakota Colors?

Old October 5th 09, 01:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting,alt.sewing.mach-embroider
Dr. Zachary Smith

Default ME: Dakota Colors?

I recently purchased a design collection disc from Dakota
Collectibles.
Upon reviewing the design colors, I find that the color names Dakota
specifies (i.e. Dk. Dk. Rust, Blue4, Lt. Green2, etc.) do not
correspond with any of the brands of embroidery threads we currently
have. I checked Dakota's site, and find no color conversion charts or
any other way of reconciling their color names. Can anyone help? Are
they using color names from some particular company? Since these are
licensed designs, I want to use the exact correct colors.

Thanks,

Doc
Old October 5th 09, 03:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting,alt.sewing.mach-embroider
Jennifer in Ottawa

http://www.dakotacollectibles.com/co...eira_intro.asp Here's the
link to the Madeira thread colour charts and conversion charts that
Dakota uses. jennellh

Old October 5th 09, 03:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting,alt.sewing.mach-embroider
Dr. Zachary Smith

Thanks Jennifer! I was looking on their Home Embroidery site instead
of the main (commercial?) site (who knew?) :-)

Doc

http://www.dakotacollectibles.com/comm/madeira_intro.asp*Here's the

Old October 6th 09, 01:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting,alt.sewing.mach-embroider
Gen

Default Dakota Colors?

I don't get what difference it makes if they are licensed or not. Using
your own color choices is what makes embroidery fun.
Gen

Old October 6th 09, 03:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting,alt.sewing.mach-embroider
BEI Design[_2_]

Gen wrote:

"Dr. Zachary Smith" wrote:
Can
anyone help? Are they using color names from some
particular company? Since these are licensed designs,
I want to use the exact correct colors.

I don't get what difference it makes if they are licensed
or not. Using your own color choices is what makes
embroidery fun. Gen

But using the designer's color choices are what makes it
(the design)authentic.

Beverly

Old October 6th 09, 03:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting,alt.sewing.mach-embroider
onetexsun

Hmmmm, looks like I'm never gonna be authentic.

Sunny
Old October 6th 09, 01:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting,alt.sewing.mach-embroider
Emily Bengston[_2_]

Did you telephone the Dakota Co?
A couple years ago, I had a question about one of their designs and couldn't
find the answer online, so I did what people use to do a lot before
internet; I picked up the phone and called their 800-number.
Emily

Old October 6th 09, 02:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting,alt.sewing.mach-embroider
Dr. Zachary Smith

Default ME Threads [Was: ME: Dakota Colors?]

Now that the color naming mystery has been solved...

The colors Dakota uses are Madeira Rayon. Our research suggests that
while rayon is allegedly better for framing purposes, polyester should
be better for a utility quilt as it's supposed to hold up better to
washing, wear, etc.
The catch is that Madeira's poly threads don't seem to correspond to
their rayons, (and they call it poly-neon, whatever that means) so
we're going to need to make some kind of conversion anyway. So the
next question is, are there opinions on poly embroidery thread
brands?

Currently, we have mostly Isocord and a little Metler - all
polyester. The LQS is clearing out Hemingworth at 1/2 price (but
there are some color substitution problems). They'll be picking up
Metler (which I've been told is the same as Isocord, but only comes on
those little spools).

I'M SO CONFUSED!!!

Doc
Old October 6th 09, 03:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting,alt.sewing.mach-embroider
Leslie& The Furbabies in MO.

Doc, as you said to me just the other day 'I love ya, but.'...

Doc, you are making this quilt into an awful lot of work! Relax and enjoy
the process- you have said this CQ is going to be a 'using quilt' and if you
do use it then **it will not last forever** no matter what fabrics and
threads you use. Something has to wear out first. So what if it's the
rayon thread? Rayon thread is beautiful with it's soft sheen and amazing
selection of colors and it will please you every time you look at the quilt
to have used the exact colors in the pattern.

If you keep obsessing over thread types and colors and which fabrics and
fiber content and doing such massive research-- then your quilting is always
going to be A Big Fat Deal involving of weeks of research and frustrations
of choices and hard work *before* you ever pick up a scissors or needle or
turn on your sm- and you may never know the joys of just doing it and having
a finished quilt in your proud hands. Sometimes flying by the seat of your
pants and inventing and experimenting and changing your mind as you go along
can produce an original work that amazes even yourself.... Did I really
make this???

So stop with the research and fussing and get busy and jump in with both
feet and make that CQ! If you make a mistake then learn from it but don't
let the possibility keep you from moving forward. Just jump in and play
with your wonderful fabrics and enjoy the process and have FUN! Save your
authentic masterpiece work for down the line when you have a few dozen
quilts under your belt and you are making one for 'just for show' to hang on
the wall and collect dust!

Hugs,

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old October 6th 09, 05:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting,alt.sewing.mach-embroider
Dr. Zachary Smith

On Oct 6, 10:37 am, "Leslie& The Furbabies in MO."
wrote:

Sometimes flying by the seat of your
pants and inventing and experimenting and changing your mind as you go along
can produce an original work that amazes even yourself.... Did I really
make this???

ROTFLMAOWTIME! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! After the other day, I can't
believe you WROTE that! 8^D

You've got me pegged - and how! But this is why I design and DW
quilts; we balance each other.
She can't wait to cut into fabric and get that machine a-hummin'. I
get off on designing/planning to the last detail. In any enterprise
we undertake, we examine, utilize, and respect each others strengths,
talents, and foibles and try to support each other.

I can't remember where in the distant past I heard it, but someone
somewhere put it that there are two kinds of stress: bad stress, and
good - or joyful - stress. The bad kind is the kind you dread, like
doing taxes; the good kind is the kind you enjoy, like the stress of
watching a horror movie (for those who are into them) or... oh, I
don't know.... QUILTING! With experience things become easier, but
when everyone here first started out, it's likely there was some
stress/trepidation at getting seams right, flipping the sandwich over
periodically to avoid catches, etc. It's stressful, but you don't
mind because you're enjoying it. Some stress *can* be fun! (There
are actually some biological reasons for this; chemicals similar to
adrenalin and endorphins generated in the brain that stimulate
pleasure centers, but I digress...)

Getting things right the first time, doing my best, competing with
myself, putting 100% into things I do are things that I enjoy. I
figured this out about myself in college, and I reveled in it. Once
things get rolling I'll have more than my share of "this will have to
be good enough" and/or "whoops!" but generally, from my experiences,
the more I put into the planning, the smoother and more enjoyable the
doing will be and go *for me*.

If you see all this as a personality flaw, I hope you can also see
that there are a lot of worse ones I could have.
(And in case you've forgotten, it all helps me take & keep my mind off
the pain... ;-)

YMMV and all other standard disclaimers apply... :-)

Doc

Colors [email protected] Yarn 2 April 2nd 08 05:39 AM
Quilt Shops in South Dakota Donna in NE La.[_2_] Quilting 3 July 31st 07 12:10 AM
Ot about colors Mirjam Bruck-Cohen Needlework 116 January 30th 06 10:42 PM
About colors Pirjo Ilvesvuori Needlework 2 March 25th 04 06:25 PM
Crazy Horse Memorial in South Dakota Omar Zia Carving 0 January 4th 04 04:27 PM