Water damaged watch

Old October 31st 06, 05:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Al Balmer

Default Water damaged watch

On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 06:50:54 GMT, "Peter W.. Rowe,"
wrote:

It's not unreasonable for the poster to hide personal information (email
address) if they wish. Their choice, just as it's Abrasha's free choice not to
answer in the open group if for some reason he chooses not to. His post to
that effect does little more than perhaps alert the OP that he might wish to
send Abrasha his real email address, if he wished.

In fact, I have often seen this, in other groups. If someone has
information that he is willing to share with the poster, but not the
rest of the world, he can simply say "send me your email address." No
need for raised hackles.

Personally, I think this should be the exception, anyway. After all,
the newsgroup's purpose is the sharing of information, and if a
technique or other information is really a secret, it probably
shouldn't be shared with an unknown poster even if he does supply an
undisguised address ;-)

--
Al Balmer
Sun City, AZ

Old November 1st 06, 04:28 AM
Glenn Herring Glenn Herring is offline
Junior Member

Location: San Antonio, Texas
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
Hello,

I had my niece over last weekend and she is going through the stage of
playing with anything she is not supposed to, I know they all go through it.
So, she put my good watch in the washing machine and now it is not working.
You know the part in the back that makes a watch work, is it possible to
just replace the whole thing or is this watch a goner? If I am in the wrong
place can someone suggest a group who may have an answer?
Thank you all.
Hello Mame,
First off, can you or someone you know pop off the back of the watch? If that is possible do it and then place your watch on top of your refrigerator near the back close to the coils. Let it remain there face down & the back off for at least a week. This should dry out the watch. Now after that get your battery replaced by a jeweler that you trust. Have them look with a jewelers loop to see if there is any rusting on the inside, it will be fairly easy to see.
If it is a screw off back - Goto a jeweler immediately.

Please e-mail me a picture of your watch front & back, what I'm looking for is the brand/model & any numbers that are stamped into the back of your watch. I can give you information on how much you should pay if it needs a new movement. Unfortunately I do not do that sort of work. But, I will point you in the right direction.

Hope that helps.

Sincerely,
Glenn Herring SA/Tx

Old November 2nd 06, 03:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Carl

When Glenn Herring put fingers to keys it was 11/1/06 10:59 AM...

Me Wrote:
... my niece ... put my good watch in the washing machine and now
it is not working.

Hello Mame, First off, can you or someone you know pop off the back
of the watch?

Even better, go to someone who specializes in watches, not just any
jeweler. Until recently, I did a lot of watch work. I could almost
always spot a nice watch that had been to a jeweler or opened by the
owner. They leave marks. I don't.

What kind of watch is it?

(I can't find a thread like this one on alt.horology so I'm guessing
that answering here is worth doing)

--
Carl West
Prospect Hill Forge: The Blacksmithing Classroom

Old November 6th 06, 09:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
[email protected]

What type of watch. I had a digital heart monitor watch. When i changed
the battery i put the o ring in wrong and it got wet and was ruined.
the manufacturer replaced it free.mio watch.
I have a digital camera that fell in the river. It worked after drying
out for a couple days.

i have a cheap portable mp3 player that fell in salt water. it never
worked again. i did rinse it with tap water but to know avail.

Old November 6th 06, 09:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
[email protected]

Dont worry about it. we are just electronic signals.

Me wrote:
Yes I used a fake e-mail address. I am not upset about this or ashamed of
myself or whatever it is you are trying to make me feel. I don't want your
answer and I don't think its very polite to jump on a new poster like that.
A reason people don't come back to groups is because people like you jump on
them. I don't use a real e-mail and wont ever. If you are going to be so up
yourself over it then that's fine, I don't need your reply at all.
Thank you.

"Abrasha" wrote in message
Me wrote:
Hello,

I had my niece over last weekend and she is going through the stage of
playing with anything she is not supposed to, I know they all go through
it.
So, she put my good watch in the washing machine and now it is not
working.
You know the part in the back that makes a watch work, is it possible to
just replace the whole thing or is this watch a goner? If I am in the
wrong
place can someone suggest a group who may have an answer?
Thank you all.

I sent you an email with an answer. It bounced back, since obviously you
supplied a false email address.

I will not post my answer for that reason!

--
Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

OT -- Water Dr. Sooz Beads 3 September 11th 05 12:34 AM
OT online tea site? Taria Quilting 37 July 26th 05 10:16 PM
OT - Story: Beverages I have Known Kathy N-V Beads 6 January 4th 05 04:33 PM
OT - little bitty anxiety attacks Jalynne Beads 47 September 4th 04 06:02 PM
If you could, would you? Kaytee Beads 74 November 7th 03 04:59 AM