favorite traditional block?

Old January 11th 07, 08:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*

Default favorite traditional block?

the wrapping design on corners of cane tables etc is much like log cabin
too.
i never really thot about that til this discussion, cool. ta muchly.
jeanne
--
Vote B'fly for President '08
san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz

"Roberta Zollner" wrote...
You can find log cabin designs wrapping Egyptian mummies! (Although these
were not pieced but folded.)
Roberta in D

Old January 11th 07, 09:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

I doubt I will ever make a Rose Dream unless I applique it. I have a
twin sized RD that Grandma made the top in 1968 intending to give it
to me, and Mom quilted it in 2005-2006. It's red, white, and sky
blue--very stunning combination that has stood the test of time.
Grandma pieced it, and it was her biggest quilting accomplishment,
unfortunately she never did figure out what sort of quilting pattern
to use (She only did Baptist Fan quilting and knew the top deserved
something different.) so it stayed hidden in a closet for years. Mom
began quilting on it to help with the grieving process after Grandma
died, and to give the quilt the life it deserved. She used several
quilting motifs including medallions, tulips, hearts, and cables for
the outer borders. It is one of my most prized possessions.

On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 09:40:25 +1300, "nzlstar*"
wrote:

what method you planned on for that rdw block.
i'm considering it for 3D if i can wrap my head round the right starting
sqs.
i'll need 2 big squares, 2 small sqs for the corners and one medium sq for
the middle thingy in each quadrant.
then must work out the order to sew together. having just thot of this for
this particular block havent had time to wrap brain around it fully yet,
lol.
more tea please. )
thanks for pointing this one out to me, Debra.
cheers,
jeanne

Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old January 11th 07, 11:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

wrote:

what method you planned on for that rdw block.
i'm considering it for 3D if i can wrap my head round the right starting
sqs.
i'll need 2 big squares, 2 small sqs for the corners and one medium sq for
the middle thingy in each quadrant.
then must work out the order to sew together. having just thot of this for
this particular block havent had time to wrap brain around it fully yet,
lol.
more tea please. )
thanks for pointing this one out to me, Debra.
cheers,
jeanne

I've put a picture of the twin sized Rose Dream on my webshots in the
folder Mom's Quilts.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old January 12th 07, 01:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*

wow, Debra.
nice job from all of you.
that makes a rather cool chain when all laid out side by side too.
ok, ok, i'll get thunk'n on that one soon and see if it will indeed work in
3D or will i need to eat more cereal so i can make a template for applique,
lol.

cheers from a warm rainy summer day in the south pacific,
the garden loves this weather and grows like topsy.
guess dh will be out mowing soon as it stops and drys out a wee bit, eh.
lol.
jeanne
--
Vote B'fly for President '08
san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz

"Debra"wrote...

Old January 12th 07, 02:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 14:55:41 +1300, "nzlstar*"
wrote:

wow, Debra.
nice job from all of you.
that makes a rather cool chain when all laid out side by side too.
ok, ok, i'll get thunk'n on that one soon and see if it will indeed work in
3D or will i need to eat more cereal so i can make a template for applique,
lol.

So you don't think you want to try sewing the curved seams for a
pieced RD block any more than I would want to? Hee,hee. Curves are
so not a problem in applique though! Have you ever changed any other
pieced block design into an applique design? I've been thinking of
doing the same thing to several blocks, and I've been finding out that
I am not the first to think of applique-ing some traditionally pieced
blocks.

I'm not sure how you would make it 3D, all I can think of is puffy
where the colored parts are and flat in the white parts.

cheers from a warm rainy summer day in the south pacific,
the garden loves this weather and grows like topsy.
guess dh will be out mowing soon as it stops and drys out a wee bit, eh.
lol.
jeanne

Ha, he'll be mowing in the heat of summer and I'll be sleeping in the
cold winter night.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old January 12th 07, 03:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*

i quite like applique. curves are not a problem for me.
i like the 3D effect whenever i can get it.
i've no idea why really. from a distance looks the same but up close its got
wee pockets.
goodness me, no puffy and flat bits.
have you ever folded a square in half on the diagonal then rolled that bias
edge back over itself. stitch it do to stay in a curve then lay that over
another square and you've got similar to drunkards path block.
this can be done slightly differently by laying two sqs on top of one
another, sewing down two adjacent sides, then flip one corner out. oh dear
this is too hard for me to explain today.
it is possible tho. i've done it using various size squares together as
well.
one small sq with one big sq will give you a whole different look when
joined up into a bigger area.
it also works with rectangles. check out jessamys tradewinds block.
sorry if this is all confuddling. writing it all down without pix is a bit
like that.

i'm on yahoo msg'r if that helps. will be online again in my morning tho if
you wanna see pix, i can draw it for ya in the doodle screen.
night night for now. i'm off to peel fix some vege for dinner.
cheers,
jeanne
--
Vote B'fly for President '08
san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz

"Debra" wrote...

Old January 12th 07, 07:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Michelle

Hi Claudia,

I have two favorites. The first is called Sister's Choice. I don't know
it's history, but we used it in a block swap many years ago, and I received
the most lovely blocks. (And much to my embarrassment, although the top is
pieced, it is still waiting for the quilting. Eke!) My other favorite is
Broken Band. I am also ignorant of it's history, but it sews up into a very
nice 3-D effect. Whenever I'm in need of block I turn to these two.
--
Michelle in NV
http://community.webshots.com/user/desert_quilter

"claudia" wrote in message
ups.com...
Good morning everyone!

I'm enjoying one of those rare quiet moments in the practice. First
relatively decent day weather wise in over a week so patients have
better things to do than to come to see me!

I am still fighting the telephone company; still no phone line in the
house so I still have to access the web when I can from work. I do try
to get to the group at least once a week to keep up with reading the
messages! And I post when I think I have something to say (other than
gibberish!)

As usual, I do most of my creative thinking on the road as I travel
from one town to another, from one medical office to another. My car
knows the road by heart, so that leaves me free to let my mind ruminate
on more interesting matters like quilting! Lately I've been obsessing
about traditional quilt blocks, pieced or appliquéd. Does everyone
have a favorite traditional quilt block? Do you know its name? Does the
block have a history? Do you know the history? Why is it your favorite
block? Do you know how old the block is/dated?

And while we're at it, anyone know of a listing of traditional blocks?

If I had to choose, my favorite block would probably be the log cabin
block. I beleive it goes back to the 1800's or so, back when the west
was won! Why is it my favorite? I guess it's because it's such a
versatile block. It can be scrappy or elegant, muted or bright, happy
or sad, but it is never boring! To me it is a block that is relatively
easy to make, and no matter what you do to it, it always looks good.

Ok, gotta go; patients have suddely decided to beat down my door again!

Claudia

Old January 12th 07, 11:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
WV Quilter

Sharon..

I have just started my first Dresden Plate and I agree I love it too!
DO you have any pictures to share or quilting ideas after you have put
your blocks together.

I thought about sashing them and quilting a design around the plate.
Any suggestions?

WV Quilter
Sharon wrote:
claudia wrote:
[...]

My favourite block is absolutely the Dresden Plate - love it. Finished
a queen- sized Dresden Plate quilt not long ago, now I'm starting
another quilt that has that block incorprated in it with others.

Sharon (N.B.)

Old January 12th 07, 11:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Donna in Idaho

Claudia, as I started reading your message - before I even got down to your
favorite I was thinking the log cabin is probably my favorite. There is so
much you can do with log cabins. I've used them for an entire quilt, I've
used them as borders around a center panel. They are just so versatile.

--
Donna in Idaho
Reply to daawra3553 at yahoo dot com

Old January 13th 07, 12:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

I'm not Sharon but I was given an old shredded dresden plate quilt that
I have started to reproduce. Actually the top is done except the
border. It is set up like this one:

http://www.quilthistory.com/study/im...sden_Plate.jpg

I think Marissa is working on a dresden plate also but can't remember
any details. They are one of my favorites.
Taria

WV Quilter wrote:
Sharon..

I have just started my first Dresden Plate and I agree I love it too!
DO you have any pictures to share or quilting ideas after you have put
your blocks together.

I thought about sashing them and quilting a design around the plate.
Any suggestions?

WV Quilter

2006-2007 RCTQ BOM for December Dannielle Quilting 9 December 9th 06 01:37 PM
RCTQ BOM for October! Dannielle Quilting 3 September 30th 06 02:24 AM
EQ5 Users Debbi Quilting 5 October 5th 05 04:46 AM
OT Diaries!! Gillian Murray Needlework 2 December 24th 03 05:37 PM