Should I keep my old machine?

Old October 15th 06, 09:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Boca Jan

Default Should I keep my old machine?

Thank you thank you thank you. I wanted to keep my old one - for many of the
reasons you gave me, but DH thought I should ask. Even if it is nothing more
then thread in a different color. I often times work on two different
projects at once, and this would help me out. :-)

Thanks for your comments.

--
Boca Jan
Florida - Land of the Hurricanes

"Boca Jan" wrote in message
If I could, I would have slept with my Janome, it is such a pleasure to
sew on. Now my DH and I are debating if I should keep the old one or not.
It is in perfect condition, but I can't figure out why I would want to use
it.

Any comments/ideas?

Old October 15th 06, 09:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

I probably should be paying more attention but help me with what the old
and new machine are. I will probably never let go of my Bernina 930 or
my grandma's FW or my treadle but other than that the rest have no
attachment.
The amount of room you have tp store makes a difference too. If my
daughter had any interest in sewing I would just as soon she had my
machines as keeping them and not using them.
Taria

Old October 15th 06, 11:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

I'd keep the old machine if you don't have any other machines
(FW or small class type machine) I would probably only keep
it as a back up if needed.
I'm jealous of the Janome though ; )
TAria

Old October 16th 06, 04:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 09:54:20 -0400, "Boca Jan"
wrote:

If I could, I would have slept with my Janome, it is such a pleasure to sew
on. Now my DH and I are debating if I should keep the old one or not. It is
in perfect condition, but I can't figure out why I would want to use it.

Any comments/ideas?

Why would you get rid of such a lovely to use machine?

Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old October 16th 06, 02:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Charlotte Hippen

I would definitely keep the machine. My mother kept her old Bernina when
she got her new one. When I started up she loaned it to me, and now that I
have my own (thanks to my wonderful DM's X-mas gift) she has it back and
uses it regularly. She uses it when the new one is in the shop, when its is
having a hissy like others have said. She also has put it in her living
room for awhile so that if she didn't feel like sewing in her basement
sewing room, she didn't have to lug her other machine elsewhere, she already
had one set up. Unless you really don't have the room to house both the new
and the old, I would definitely keep it. You never know what you may have
for it to do, and wish you had it back otherwise. JMHO.

--
Charlotte
http://community.webshots.com/user/charh108

Old October 17th 06, 02:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Carolyn McCarty

Default Fashion Mate, was Should I keep my old machine?

A "friend" gave me a Fashion Mate she rescued from a dumpster. It needs a
little work and I probably won't get it fixed for a couple of years. After
reading Denny's note, I wonder if it's worth it. Any comments from other
Fashion Mate owners out there?

--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo

If it ain't broke, you're not trying. --Red Green

If at first you don't succeed, switch to power tools. --Red Green

"Kiteflyer" wrote in message
Gosh, I still have my wife's old Singer Fashionmate and would hate to have
to use it. It's what caused my wife to stop sewing and start knitting.
Although I will probably never get rid of it

--
Denny in Fort Wayne
http://community.webshots.com/user/kiteflyer54

/\
/ \
/ \
\ /
\ /
\/
\
\
/
\
\
/
\

Old October 17th 06, 02:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Carolyn McCarty

For sure, keep the old one! I now have four working machines, 2 FW, a 301
and a 30-year-old Kenmore. Love them all, use them all--though I admit I
*could* give up one of the FWs if pressed. I also have a Fashion Mate that
a friend rescued from a dumpster, it needs repair but I can't bring myself
to get rid of it until I can get it fixed and try it out.

I piece on the FWs, machine quilt on the 301, and use the Kenmore for sewing
anything other than quilts.

Old October 17th 06, 02:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
maryd

My daughter's MIL gave her an "old" Kenmore to put in a rummage sale. My
daughter rescued it and gave it to me. Now to find the time to go get it.

--
Mary
:
: I piece on the FWs, machine quilt on the 301, and use the Kenmore for
sewing
: anything other than quilts.
:
: --
: Carolyn in The Old Pueblo

Old October 17th 06, 02:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Carole-Retired and Loving It

Well, it's certainly not a high end machine but I bought a basic one
when I could afford nothing else and it's been running for years and
years and has made lots of garments and quilts and never once has had
to go in for service. I kept it clean and oiled and lubricated as per
the instructions in the manual. I have a much more sophisticated
machine now, but it's been to the repair shop twice and I've pulled
out the Fashionmate both times so that I wouldn't have to stop sewing.

On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 18:26:41 -0700, "Carolyn McCarty"
wrote:

A "friend" gave me a Fashion Mate she rescued from a dumpster. It needs a
little work and I probably won't get it fixed for a couple of years. After
reading Denny's note, I wonder if it's worth it. Any comments from other
Fashion Mate owners out there?

Carole in Northwest GA - Retired and loving it!
Homepage - http://home.windstream.net/caroledoyle/

sewing machinery sewing machinery Needlework 0 March 22nd 06 08:01 AM
RCTQ FAQ Nov 2005 frood Quilting 3 November 6th 05 09:22 PM
RCTQ FAQ for June 2005 frood Quilting 5 June 4th 05 03:42 AM
Sewing Machine FAQ Diana Curtis Quilting 2 January 24th 05 06:57 PM
Welcome to RCTQ FAQ Diana Curtis Quilting 10 November 3rd 03 05:43 PM