Xyron 500 versus Xyron 510

Old November 12th 03, 04:49 PM
The Therouxs

Default Xyron 500 versus Xyron 510

Hi all,

I've recently purchased the Xyron 500 after much consideration while
standing at Michaels but I am now wondering if the 510 has benefits I
don't know about? The 500 was $44, had a knob and came with only one
cartridge. The 510 was $99, had a handle and came with 3 cartridges (at
least one of which I am unlikely to use). Both take paper up to 5" across.

Your thoughts please! Thanks!

Jennifer

Old November 12th 03, 10:07 PM
hansen

Hi,
I have the 510 and love it. I use the laminating cartridges, both the
one and 2 sided quite often - great for bookmarks, key chain tags, etc.
The magnetic cartridge, I'm not so happy with. Ok for making
magnetic pictures for the fridge, but not for refrigerator magnets -they
aren't strong enough to hold a separate piece of paper or photo
securely. I use the business card ones from Walmart and cut them up.
With either machine, make your own sticker paper (stamp later + cut
out), put tissue paper through twice and make your own double stick tape
(cut into strips later, or put some strips in with your smaller pieces
so there isn't so much waste!), use instead of spray adhesive for
clearer items like transparencies or vellum. Fun, too, to add a few gold
flakes here and there before adhereing.
Where was your 40% off coupon? Our Michaels in Connecticut has the
Xyron 510 on sale quite often for 69.00 (and $59 once lately). Use the
coupons for your refill cartridges when they're not on sale (our
Michaels honors competitors' coupons, too) or go to
http://www.wilde-ideas.com/ for good prices.
Janet

Old November 12th 03, 10:27 PM
hansen

Just went to Wildeideas for something else and they have the 510 with 4
cartridges and idea book for $49.98! No affiliation with them - I paid
alot more for mine - great deal! I have bought from them several times
and had very good results.
Janet

Old November 12th 03, 10:29 PM
Erin-Joi Collins McNeal

The 500 only does adhesive. The 510 also does lamination and magnets.
Whether one is better than the other is a personal decision. I prefer the
510 because I do use the lamination and the magnets.

I have to confess, I have several. I have the 1200, 850, 510 and the new
250. I keep only lamination in the 1200 and use it for making signs for
fundraising, work and more. I alternate between cartridges on the 850 and
510 depending on the project. For Christmas card making both will have the
permanent adhesive cartridges. I make more than 350 Christmas cards. my
husband helps in the assembly.

I just recently got the 250. I use the 250 and 510 the most. I buy unmounted
stamps and use the cling method of mounting. I stamp an index image and put
it under the cling. This way I can always see what my image is. I have
several friends that borrow stamps and this method helps them as well.

Erin-Joi

If you think that something small cannot make a difference---try sleeping
with a mosquito in the room.

If I told you that I was walking 35 miles in 2 days to help women with
undetected breast cancer find out early enough to survive, would you support
me? http://erinjoi.pledgepage.com
Feel free to forward my pledgepage to anyone interested in the walk or the
cause.

Old November 16th 03, 09:19 AM
Jo

I use the cling system as well and was wondering how you used it with the
510 ? Could you explain exactly ? I just stamp mine on a sheet of glossy
card (on the back), put the stamps on the front and then put in a plastic
folder with holes and then file them.

Hugs from France,
Joanne

news: ...

Old November 18th 03, 04:21 PM
Erin-Joi Collins McNeal

To index my unmounteds I do the following:

1. cut out stamp
2. put on double stick foam (I prefer to have foam on my unmounteds)
3. cut out foam with craft knife, leave paper on other side
4. stamp an index image in archival ink (reduces fading over time)
5. cut out index image
6. If known, write company name on image
7. run index image through 510 with image side down (putting adhesive on
image side)
8. put image on back of stamp with foam
9. put cling on top of image

I store my unmounteds in binders using different sized pocket protectors. I
use plastic pages that are made to hold business cards, trading cards,
photos, floppy disks, CDs. Whatever size works for my stamps. My method
takes a little more time and organization, but I use more of my stamps this
way because I can see what they stamp. Also when a friend asks to borrow a
certain type of image, I can lend a page or a binder and the borrower can
see exactly what the stamps are.