Japanese Embroidery Ctr - Mary Monica & Dianne Please Read

Old November 23rd 03, 02:07 PM
Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply

Default Japanese Embroidery Ctr - Mary Monica & Dianne Please Read

Hi Guys,
My Needlework Interest Group made a "field trip" on Friday to The Japanese
Embrlidery Center ( http://www/japaneseembroidery.com ) and I am still
speechless! What a wonderful place and such beautiful needlework!!!! I have
known that the center was in the Atlanta area but had been told that it was
"downtown" so avoided making a visit. Driving in the metro Atlanta area is NOT
even remotely enjoyable, especially when you don't kow your way around. Well,
I got the address and found that it was in Dunwoody (one of the 'burbs) and
when I looked it up on the map, I find out that it's within a few miles of the
place DH and I go to when we donate blood!! Not all that far and a relatively
easy drive.
OK -- back to the center. The center is very Japanese and you must remove
your shoes and wear slippers before you are allowed to enter. We got to see
the "gallery" and also had a wonderful demonstration of several of the
embroidery techniques. Classes are 4 full days and cost $40 a day (plus the
cost of supplies) but if you are lucky and live in the area, you can pay $450
for the year and come as often as you want -- I plan on having a talk with
Santa! The setting is a lovely, heavily wooded area and the young woman who
gave the tour (her parents are the ones who started the center) said that
Atlanta was chosen because it has four distinct seasons yet none of them are
terribly severe or overly long. Also, Atlanta is a major air travel hub which
makes it easier for international students to attend classes.
The young woman who gave the tour is a VERY accomplished needleworker, to
say the least. She demonstrated using silk fibers on silk fabric mounted in a
traditional Japanese embroidery frame which is quite unlike anything we
routinely use in the States. The silk fiber is quite similar to the original
Eterna Silks fibers -- filament silk not stranded (IIRC, filament silk is the
long length of fiber unwound from the cocoon -- is that correct). Anyway, it's
not the relatively heavier type of silk like that sold by Rainbow Gallery which
is stranded and similar to regular DMC. The fabric looked to be a silk crepe
and the design was drawn on the surface -- just like our ordinary blue-line
embroidery designs.
She demonstarted a diagonal satin stitch, broken (I think) diagonal satin
stitch and also a twisted diagonal satin stitch. The fiber is so fine that you
can twist 2 strands together and then twist that first length with another
length of twisted fiber to make your finished length of fiber to stitch with!
AHHHH -- it was wonderful to watch her do this :-)))! OH -- the stitching is
also done with both hands and the right hand MUST be on the top of the fabric
with the left hand on the bottom -- not too easy for us right handers!
Oh Dianne and you other surface embroidery folks -- if you are EVER in the
Atlanta area, please try to make time for a visit to The Japanese Embroidery
Center!!! You will be enthralled and thrilled and so happy you did! Anyone
wanting to take classes is welcome to come stay with MOI to save the cost of a
hotel -- THAT is how serious I am about the impact of this place. MARY MONICA
-- Betsy absolutely ***MUST*** make a visit to the Center. Just think of the
plot lines you can develop that involve exotic Japanese stuff -- all sorts of
murder mystery potential. Besides, YOU would enjoy seeing the embroidery!
I was so impressed by the Japanese Embroidery Center that I want to do
everything I can to spread the word. PLEASE -- even those of you who have no
interest in surface embroidery or learning Traditional Japanese Embroidery
techniques, if you are on holiday anywhere near Atlanta or here on business,
MAKE the time to tour this center. You DO need to let them know ahead of time
but it is worth ANY minor inconvenience -- honest! VBS -- I just wish we had
take the tour during the summer so that I could have started pestering Santa
before he started buying my holiday gifts! Maybe next year -- I'll keep trying
-- LOLOL! CiaoMeow ^;;^
..

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ Queen of Kitties
Angels can't show their wings on earth but nothing was ever said about their
WHISKERS!!
Nothing is complete without a few cat hairs!

Old November 23rd 03, 06:32 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply wrote:

I was so impressed by the Japanese Embroidery Center that I want to do
everything I can to spread the word. PLEASE -- even those of you who have no
interest in surface embroidery or learning Traditional Japanese Embroidery
techniques, if you are on holiday anywhere near Atlanta or here on business,
MAKE the time to tour this center. You DO need to let them know ahead of time
but it is worth ANY minor inconvenience -- honest!

Two big things are on my list to do someday when
money starts raining from the sky ;-) One is to take up
Japanese Embroidery and take classes at the Center, and
the other is to go to Australia for my birthday for the
big embroidery conference that Country Bumpkin advertises
each year (is it Beating Around the Bush or something
like that? I forget...). I'd just *love* to do either
of those things. Fortunately I have friends in Atlanta,
so I'd have a place to stay there and would mostly just
have to find money for classes and supplies. The
Australia trip would be a major chunk of change, though.
I'm glad you enjoyed your trip--they do have
astonishingly lovely things.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old November 24th 03, 01:40 AM
Ellice

On 11/23/03 9:07 AM,"Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply"
posted:

My Needlework Interest Group made a "field trip" on Friday to The Japanese
Embrlidery Center ( http://www/japaneseembroidery.com ) and I am still
speechless! What a wonderful place and such beautiful needlework!!!! I have

Wow- great site. I've had one class in Japanese Embroidery - piloting for a
class to be taught at ANG National Seminar. The instructor had spent much
time studying embroidery in Japan, and uses Japanese design influences in
her current works.

This center looks like a great way to go take some serious stitching classes
without crossing the ocean!

Glad you enjoyed it - hope Santa comes thru for you.

ellice

Old November 24th 03, 02:11 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Actually, the Peking knot - or so-called "forbidden stitch" - is still
used. And, if you look at directions for it, and look at directions for
"modern" Fr. knots, you will see they are the same. :-) Peking knot is
still used and can be made with a little "tail" or entirely with a
looped "ball" shape.

At least that's what I've determined through some research. As always,
I haven't read every single book, and directions for Peking knot vary
amongst authors in which way the single loop is twisted around the needle.

Dianne

MaryPulver wrote:
In article ,
ekoluvr (Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply ) writes:

MARY MONICA
-- Betsy absolutely ***MUST*** make a visit to the Center. Just think of the
plot lines you can develop that involve exotic Japanese stuff -- all sorts of
murder mystery potential. Besides, YOU would enjoy seeing the embroidery!

When I was in Santa Fe, I got a tour of the Folk Art Museum which had an Asian
section, and there was some interesting Chinese and Japanese embroidery work,
including the "forbidden stitch," so called beause it is so tiny and tedious to
work that it can ruin the eyesight of the stitcher and so was forbidden by law.

But this sounds heavenly. Perhaps next October, when I tour for the new
hardcover, I can do the "going to Florida" route again. It took me through
Atlanta last time.

Mary Monica
aka Monica Ferris

There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, nobody knows what
they are. -Somerset Maugham

Old November 25th 03, 04:10 PM
MaryPulver

In article , Dianne Lewandowski
writes:

Actually, the Peking knot - or so-called "forbidden stitch" - is still
used. And, if you look at directions for it, and look at directions for
"modern" Fr. knots, you will see they are the same. :-) Peking knot is
still used and can be made with a little "tail" or entirely with a
looped "ball" shape.

At least that's what I've determined through some research. As always,
I haven't read every single book, and directions for Peking knot vary
amongst authors in which way the single loop is twisted around the needle.

Dianne

The stitch I saw in Santa Fe, iirc, was like an incredibly tiny chain stitch.
It was used to draw stems for flowers or in outline.

Old November 26th 03, 02:26 AM
fran

My mother and I took an introductory japanese embroidery class last
year at the EGA seminar in Hilton Head. It was taught by Kazumi (the
daughter you mentioned) and was pretty intensive, but we loved it and
have continued on with private lessons. I am on my third peice so
far, tho I have to admit, I do not follow thier strict rules for some
things (like the right hand on top thing - I have carpal, and that
just kills the hands).

Mom and I have both decided that we are not going to try for Master
class on this - it is too time consuming and too regimented. We'll
learn how to do it and remain talented amatures.

I really wanted to see the World Exhibition they had at Rye, NY, for
the EGA seminar this year, but I just couldn't afford it (pouting and
whining). Some day I hope to get to Atlanta, but that may be a few
years from now.

I'm so glad you enjoyed, tho.

On 23 Nov 2003 14:07:45 GMT, ekoluvr (Tia

.