Really OT - seeds sprouting IN tomato?

Old October 13th 03, 09:21 PM
Ruth in Happy Camp

I've had the seeds sprout, but they never popped through the skin. These
were tomatoes from a friend's garden, and were left on my kitchen counter
way too long!
--
Ruth in Happy Camp
"..Mickie Swall.." wrote in message
Really Strange: I have a tomato that the seeds are literally sprouting

from within and
popping out of the skin - see the seven pictures taken on Thursday and

another one just
taken a few minutes ago
http://www.ofoto.com/AlbumMenu.jsp?U...1_274461001103
(or http://www.ofoto.com my email mickie143@hotmail password: mickie).

I've never seen or
heard of anything like this before, is this freaky or something common

that I've just
never heard of?
Mickie

Old October 13th 03, 09:28 PM
Ruth in Happy Camp

I went back and looked at the photos. What WAS the name of that hilarious
movie? Invasion of the Killer Tomatoes? Hmmm.

Old October 13th 03, 10:02 PM
Janet of Gar

Attack of the Killer Tomatoes

(now I will have the theme song stuck in my head)
- Janet of Gar

Old October 13th 03, 10:52 PM
Kathy Applebaum

"Janet of Gar" wrote in message
ink.net...
Attack of the Killer Tomatoes

(now I will have the theme song stuck in my head)
- Janet of Gar

You are sooooo cruel. Now I'll have that theme song in my head all day, too.

And to make this quilt related, when I go to San Diego for longarm classes
(and to empty my wallet at Rosie's), I stay at a hotel that's kitty corner
from where Steve Peace had his offices when he was a State Senator. I even
took a picture for MSM, because AotKT was one of her all time favorite
movies.

(For those of you who don't know, Steve Peace wrote and produced AotKT, and
even had a bit part in it. Then he was a State Senator in California for a
number of years. Since then he's had a couple of political appointments.
Frankly, I think he should have stuck to cheesy movies. *grin*)

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
longarm machine quilting, Queen of Fabric Tramps

Old October 14th 03, 01:17 AM
Carolyn McCarty

I'm not sure, but...I think that tomato seeds must "ferment" to be
viable--maybe a real gardener could answer that question. If that's so, the
tomato must have been old enough and must have been kept warm enough to
ferment the seeds inside! Is there any such thing as tomato wine? You may
be onto several interesting things here! Thanks for the photos, I found it
just as freaky as you did.

--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo

If it ain't broke, you aren't trying. --Red Green
If it ain't broke, it ain't mine. Carolyn McCarty

Old October 14th 03, 04:49 AM
Shelly

I have had tomatoes that the seeds started sprouting in but have never seen
them pop out of the skin like that. Very interesting!
Shelly
"Carolyn McCarty" wrote in message
[...]

---

Old October 14th 03, 06:23 PM
Ruth in Happy Camp

They don't need to ferment to be viable. Some people ferment them to try to
kill any virus (eg, tobacco mosaic) they might be carrying.
--
Ruth in Happy Camp

Old October 15th 03, 12:10 AM
LN \(remove NOSPAM\)

I had kicked last year's pumpkin under a bush in my yard when it has
'passed' last fall and this year we got a HUGE pumpkin plant with one medium
sized, altho green, pumpkin on it. We had a couple of others that started,
but that's the only one that took off. Now, when we tried to grow pumpkins
from seed, they didn't take. Go figure.

A friend of mine says her mom always had trouble with tomato plants. One
year my friend was helping her out by cutting the lawn and found tomato
plants growing all over the yard. Apparently, someone they had helping in
the yard earlier had had a tomato for a snack and tossed the remains in the
yard and they took. Maybe they are just better when we don't help.

--
LN in NH
a crazy quilter * hand quilter * & hand appliquér

"Julia Altshuler" wrote in message
Disclaimer: I know nothing about gardening. I plant a garden each year
and learn a little as I go. Also, I don't care for tomatoes, but Jim
does. We buy seedlings at the garden center and plant those.

Now about those sprouts-- I found the picture freaky too, but when you
think about it, isn't that the way it is supposed to work? Plant
produces fruit and seeds for the purpose of the seeds producing new
plant in the right environment? The right environment would be warm and
moist which is the inside of a tomato. Ideally the sprouts would also
find soil and sunlight.

I've had watermelon seeds sprout in my kitchen sink.

There's something cool about all that fecundity, the way everything
grows in all directions, that life all around us. I like the wild side
of nature. It is too easy to think of food as always growing in neat
rows, lockstep with irrigation at the scheduled season. You've got a
renegade tomato, a revolutionary, a rule breaker, someone who talks out
of turn and mouths off at the teacher. I feel like cheering.

--Lia

Who here uses real seeds and other organic plant materials? min baro Beads 7 December 6th 04 02:18 PM
Need these seeds! scaperchick Beads 13 February 18th 04 04:36 PM
Makings beads from seeds... Helen Page Beads 21 February 11th 04 10:13 PM
Novice question - seeds vs beads (and how to make a seed last) WalkerDlwalke Beads 0 August 10th 03 11:40 PM