Gordian knot

Old August 16th 03, 06:09 PM
HAWKNFROG

Default Gordian knot

any idea on what type of knot the Gordian Knot
was.

most references I have seen assume it was a turks head, thiss explains why the
ends would not show. Also the book " History and Science of Knots" by JC
Turner and P Van De Griend states that it was once associated with the Hercules
Knot which is simply a reef knot. If you run a web search for gordian knot you
will get a lot more opinions for sure.Since we are on historical knots. Anyone
have

Old February 2nd 05, 08:12 PM
larry

a splice
or a knot with a splice in the middle

Old February 4th 05, 01:25 PM
Joe Hafner

"slake" ] wrote in message

Since we are on historical knots. Anyone have
any idea on what type of knot the Gordian Knot
was.

Some people believe the Gordian knot was a form of button knot, or a
complex form of the diamond knot, both of which can be doubled and made
complex by layering. I read that somewhere but I can't remember where.
Perhaps in The Rigger's Apprentice.
Joe
Old February 4th 05, 04:58 PM
larry

In those days a complex knot was used as a lock, sort of.
It was an indicator of someone entering your house or??? so a button or knob
is practical.

Square Knot Twestl1814b Beads 7 May 24th 04 07:02 AM
Handy knot sites Marisa Cappetta Beads 2 May 17th 04 03:25 PM
water knot with rope ? [email protected] Knots 7 August 16th 03 11:16 PM
Biblical knot Orkin Knots 2 August 16th 03 03:47 PM
Winch strap knot? werlax Knots 1 August 9th 03 03:20 PM