A Christmas problem and soluttion

Old November 30th 04, 07:24 AM
Marisa Cappetta

Default A Christmas problem and soluttion

While I was in the States my beloved DH bought me a new, 8 foot Christmas
tree. My DS offered to put it together a couple of days aga and when the
legs did not slide easily into the stand, he leaned on it and snapped
several off. I counted to 10 and tried to remember that he is only trying to
help. There is nary a replacement stand to be found and the little one I had
for live trees was not stable enough for my huge new tree.

My co-workers suggested (among other things) using a stand for a market
umbrella. The one I bought looks like cast iron, but may in fact be cast
alluminium with a base filled in with concrete - it's extremely heavy. I had
to remove the bottom branches of the tree so it would slip further into the
stand. They were only lashed to the center pole with nylon string, the
string covered with a wire 'pine' garland which I carefully snipped through
and saved. I then taped the bottom branches to the umbrella stand with cloth
tape (bought at the hardware store) and wound the saved garland around the
tape to cover it up. It has a fluted, victorian style foot plate which is
so pretty I don't think it needs a tree skirt. So far so good, it's stable
and strong.

I thought I'd pass this on in case anyone else finds themselves in a similar
situation. Now to get out my beloved decorations which I have not seen for
two years. They did not arrive on time for Christmas last year so we made do
with paper snow flakes and a few new ornaments which will be very welcome
additions this year because this tree really is huge! I actually hugged my
red painted strands of wood beads - I've had them for over 20 years now.
Perhaps I'll make a few paper snowflakes in memory of our first Christmas in
NZ.

--
Marisa (AU/NZ)
www.galleryvittoria.com

Old November 30th 04, 07:26 AM
Marisa Cappetta

Sorry all, this should have had OT in the subject line. Although I did
mention my red painted beads, so maybe it qualifies as at least a teensy bit
on topic!

Old November 30th 04, 06:21 PM
Shirley Shone

Just goes to show where there is a will there is a way.
Enjoy your Christmas tree.
Mine is only a small one and I am trying to work up the goodwill of
Christmas.
Son No 2 will be in Holland onboard his ship with his family.
Son No 1 could be on his ship. If it is in dock we could be having
dinner with him, if it is anchored out at sea as rumoured we will not.
DH does not fancy 4 days at sea on a cargo ferry with nothing to do.
So it will be Christmas day a deux for us.
Shirley

In message , Marisa Cappetta
writes

Old December 1st 04, 02:16 AM
Beadbimbo

Sounds like you found a beautiful substitute for your tree stand!

--
Jerri
www.beadbimbo.com

Old December 1st 04, 03:32 AM
Dawn >^..^

That would have been wonderful advise a few years back when my cats were
spry enough to CLIMB the Christmas tree. LOL! I remember the year I put my
Christmas tree up and RE-decorated it four times! Now that they're in their
golden years, they're content just to lay under it....but to them, Tree
Skirt = Cat Blanket....just look....
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...Tree_Shirt.jpg

Your tree sounds wonderful! And to complete the Victorian look you should
tie on little sprigs of dried flowers and baby's breath. I did that one year
and it was gorgeous.

--
Dawn
"Art Insomnia"

Old December 1st 04, 05:18 AM
Marisa Cappetta

Aaaawwwww what a cutie-pie!! My kitty in Aus sleeps on top of the skirt
because it's too hot to climb under.

I love the dry flower idea! I have a toy theme on my tree. I think the
flowers would look lovely. I'll see if I can find some. Thank you for the
suggestion.

Old December 1st 04, 10:01 PM
susiegibson

excellent solution..... better than our old one- a bucket with rocks in
it.........huggs, merry merry......

--

susie gibson

http://www.reachone.com/sgibson/

[...]