Fiskars Softouch rotary cutter

Old December 8th 03, 05:26 PM
Tiina Aaltonen

Default Fiskars Softouch rotary cutter

I have been very keen on quilts for some time. Now I have decided to
start making quilts. So I need a cutter. I found in the net Fiskars
Softouch rotary cutter. Does anyone have it? Is it good? Is a "normal"
Fiskars rotary cutter better?

Old December 8th 03, 07:41 PM
Patti

Hullo Tiina
Nice to meet you. Are you from Finland? We have a Tiina from Finland:
so, a coincidence.
If you can manage to visit a shop and get the feel of the various
cutters in your hand, I think that would be best. If you have to get
things via the Net, then Fiskars is certainly a good brand name. There
are some people who like one cutter, and others who like another; just
like sewing machines.
..
In article , Tiina Aaltonen
writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old December 8th 03, 09:14 PM
Roberta Zollner

Welcome Tiina!
Cutters are a matter of individual taste. You will probably try out several
different brands or types before you find just the right one for you. A
comfortable handle is important, but so is a sharp blade. When the blade
gets dull, no cutter is any good.
I use both a Fiskars (normal) and a Kai. The Kai has an automatic blade
guard, a big advantage IMO. I always have to remember to push the safety
button on the Fiskars.
Roberta in D

.. .

Old December 9th 03, 02:35 AM
Polly Esther

And when you change blades, test that you have it fastened in just right.
Too tight or too lose is not good. Always give it a few test runs to make
sure that you don't have it screwed down so tightly that it is not rolling
merrily along. Polly

Old December 15th 03, 08:29 PM
Tiina Aaltonen

Thank you all Roberta, Polly, and Patti for your kind answers. My
news-server doesn't show your
messages, so I found your messages only today by Google, when I was
trying to see, if my message is shown abroad.

I think, I have to buy my cutter and other things via the Net. I still
have two shops to visit which might have cutters - but they probably do
not have any cutters. I'll find out more about Kai, if that should be
the cutter for me.

And Patti, yes, I am from Finland. Tiina was very common name in the
60's, so Finland is full of Tiinas.