where can I get a cheap mat cutter?

Old January 7th 04, 07:04 PM
ted

Default where can I get a cheap mat cutter?

I have 5 works of art on cloth which I want to frame myself. These
pieces are not expensive. I'm looking for a reasonably priced mat
cutter for one time use.

Since this purchase is for one time use only, is there an inexpensive
mat cutter I can get in any store? All my cuts will be
square/rectangle. No circles or ovals. How much is the minimum should
I expect to pay for a mat cutter? Please give the brand name and model
if you have.

Thanks.
Old January 7th 04, 07:04 PM
Pam Hill

Hi,
I normally lurk but thought I'd jump in on this question. My suggestion
would be to go to your local frame shop, Hobby Lobby, Michaels etc. and get
them to cut a mat for you. I have been in the framing business for about 12
years, just recently closed my frame shop, and I don't know of any mat
cutter that you could use for "one time use". Most frame shops are used to
people asking for mats only. I would even have them to bring in the piece
that they were going to frame so we could be sure that the mat size would be
just right. Also, in case you have never done any mat cutting before, I'd
have to say that it isn't as easy to do as it looks.
Hope this was helpful.
Pam H.

Old January 7th 04, 08:50 PM
Julie in Hondo

I have an Altos 4501...around $99. I could not frame 1/3rd of my projects in
the last 2 years without it. It is very easy to use and very fast. Do a
search and I'm sure you will find it...I got mine at framingsupplies.com.
They also have Crescent samples for under $10 and that's fro all colors.
Julie In Hondo
om...

Old January 8th 04, 02:47 AM
fran

I also have an Alto's - from way back in the mid-70's! It does take
a some practice, but is a pretty easy way to mat your own work. It
took me about 45 minutes tonight to do a 2-layer mat for a peice.
This involved using a mat cutter that does vertical cuts to cut the
mats to size, then the Alto's to cut the interior openning in the mat
(bevel = 45 degrees).

What you really have to watch for - make sure the blade is sharp! If
it gets dull, you get a very rough, shredded looking cut. I can
normally cut about 5 openning with one blade before changing.

HTH!

On Wed, 7 Jan 2004 14:50:38 -0600, "Julie in Hondo"
remove remove in reply wrote:

I have an Altos 4501...around $99. I could not frame 1/3rd of my projects in
the last 2 years without it. It is very easy to use and very fast. Do a
search and I'm sure you will find it...I got mine at framingsupplies.com.
They also have Crescent samples for under $10 and that's fro all colors.
Julie In Hondo
. com...

Old January 8th 04, 01:26 PM
Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr.

I just drilled a hole through a block of wood at the angle I wanted
the bevel cut and slid an exacto knife into the hole and aligned it
with the edge of the wood block and used a wood screw to lock it into
place. A metal straight edge and two C-clamps I already had was used
to hold the mat and straight edge to the corner of the counter where I
was doing my work.
Total cost, about a buck forty-five!

TTUL
Gary

Old January 8th 04, 11:37 PM
Joyce

"Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr." wrote
in message ...
I just drilled a hole through a block of wood at the angle I wanted
the bevel cut and slid an exacto knife into the hole and aligned it
with the edge of the wood block and used a wood screw to lock it into
place. A metal straight edge and two C-clamps I already had was used
to hold the mat and straight edge to the corner of the counter where I
was doing my work.
Total cost, about a buck forty-five!

This is what my boyfriend did for me!! But he just bought regular razor
blades (with 2 screw holes) from Sears and used a scrap piece of wood he had
(that was already cut at 45 degree angle). Along with the clamped metal
straight edge, it worked great at cutting the mat!