What Quilt Scares You?

Old October 28th 03, 03:15 PM
Queen of Squishies

They say that artistic and creative people will dream in color. So yes, I
would think that among quilters it would be a much higher percentage. Any
quilters here who dream in black & white?

Karen, Queen of Squishies
--
My reply address is scrambled. Please change my
address to hicall80 at earthlink dot net

Old October 28th 03, 03:24 PM
Diana Curtis

Is there a formula? Was I right? That last one has me intrigued too. The
others would be easy to figure out but the last one is going to take some
looking at to figure out how the artist picked her materials to create the
flow of color and texture.
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
"AliceW" wrote in message
WOW! I love the last one, and I have the book! I saw Blanche on SQ one
time and got hooked on her quilts. This one is fabulous! My list just

got
one quilt longer.

--
Alice in NJ
www.ourcyberfamily.us

"Diana Curtis" wrote in message
i see the appeal of the blooming nine patch, thanks for the links, what

an
incredible play of color and texture they have going. I bet there is a

sort
of formula the quilter used as a guide in choosing colors and

design....now
Im curious to see if I can puzzle it out on my own....
thanks Sherri!
Di

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
"sdgodfrey" wrote in message
et...
A very astute question! I guess if I can figure out what

differentiates
the ones I like from the ones I don't, it will be much easier to

choose
fabric. Hmm... The problem is I can't pin-point it. None of the
pictures I've seen really inspire me. But the two I've seen 'in real
life' were both gorgeous. I'm trying to remember just what the ones I
liked look like. I think they had a dark center, graduating out to
light fabrics. But I'm not sure. I may have to re-visit them to

check.
Thanks for the push to think it through.

BTW, here are some links to some Blooming Nine Patches on the web:

http://www.doublejproductions.com/lo...?TOPIC_ID=1351

http://www.tlcquilts.com/images/bloom9p1.jpg

http://mclaren.frenzy.com/quilting/blooming9patch.html

--
Sherri G in Kentucky
http://community.webshots.com/user/sdgodfrey

"Diana Curtis" wrote in message
| Im glad youre setting goals like this. Challenging yourself will

feel
fun!
| Id love to see what you come up with for the blooming nine patch. Im
not
| familiar with it. Can you tell what it is you dont like about the

ones
that
| do nothing for you vs what the wow! ones look like?
| Diana
|
| --
| http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
| "sdgodfrey" wrote in message
| et...
| There are two scary ones for me. I'd love to make a blooming
9-patch.
| The fabric selection is what scares me. I've seen some that are
| gorgeous and others that, well... don't do much for me. It's all

in
the
| fabric selection, and I feel I'm not experienced enough to pick

the
| right fabrics yet. I'd also love to make a mariner's compass.

I'm
| worried about matching the points on this one. I've got a long

way
| go before I could make one I was happy with. But I'm confident

when

Old October 28th 03, 03:27 PM
Diana Curtis

Inside points are a sticking point for me too. Was it Polly, or Pati, or
Patty who gave the tip recently of clipping to the inside point, not going
straight in as logic would tell us, but along the straight of the grain,
between two threads, so the inside point wont have a chance to ravel. Its
something worth trying.
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
"Elena" wrote in message
news
Doing inside points and the flat thing for me too. Well, maybe when I

press
it. face down on a towel, I know.

Elena in Tx

"melinda" wrote in message
Diana Curtis wrote:
I dont know. Fearful appliquers, want to field this one? Im in the let

me at
it kind of mode for applique so I dont know what might be

intimidating.
Diana

Making sure the edges stay turned under, and the piece stays flat.
Maybe it's just a case of trying it to find out if I can do it or
not, given my liking for hand work I'd probably go okay with it, but
I just don't know yet.

--
Melinda
http://cust.idl.com.au/athol

Old October 28th 03, 03:35 PM
Diana Curtis

I sure will! Im collecting fabrics for a spring colored one now. The
background will not be white on mine either, tho I dont know what it will be
yet. So far I have a lot of sage greens and warm pinks in prints and tone on
tone, even one paisley that Im not convinces needs to be in there. The
correct colors will be fun to find. I think it will require me to buy a lot
more pieces than I actually need. Darn.
I will enjoy seeing your Dahlia. A black background with brights should
make a stunning display.
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
"Heather Cross" wrote in message
I am about to start a Dahlia with black background and bright FQ's. I'm

not
sure about the curves but will give it a go anyway. If you do one let me
know how it comes out.
Heather in West Oz

"Diana Curtis" wrote in message
Is there a quilt you would love to make but it puts your stomach in

knots
think about making it? What would this terrifying quilt be and what

about
it
makes you tremble?
Mine is the Dahlia. Its the picking of the fabrics that has me

worried.
In
the book I have there are a couple of examples of color ways given. I

hate
all of them. But they do point out the importance of picking good

contrast
and coordinating patterns. This would be the best time to use a scanner

take the diagram of the quilt to be able to preview fabrics in it. Its

on
my
to do list, right under long nap.
Ok..spill... lets see if there are lots of people intimidated by the

same
quilts.
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44

Old October 28th 03, 03:42 PM
Teresa in Colorado

I really don't know if I dream in color or black&white - couldn't tell you
either way.
But then again, I never notice when the TV color is messed up and is showing
us everything in B&W. DH usually comes in and says "I didn't know that they
filmed that in B&W!" - then a minute later he's saying "They didn't" and
fixes the color.

--
Teresa in Colorado

The Presser Foot
Sewing Machine Sales, Service, Supplies, and More
www.thepresserfoot.com
--
ink.net...

Old October 28th 03, 04:07 PM
Diana Curtis

Men turn out to dream in monochrome more than women. Women tend to dream in
techincolor.
Im not sure which mine are in. Ill try to think to remember during my next
dream and report back.
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
"Pat in Virginia" wrote in message
Really? You are not just kidding? I am 56 years old and I just
found this out .... a minute ago!
I've always dreamed in color, but I've never considered how other
people dream.
I wonder if the percentage of people who dream in color is higher
among quilters and other artists, vis a vis the population at
large.
Hey, maybe I could get a NFA Grant to figure this out! Nah, I
don't have enough quilting time as it is!

PAT in VA/USA

Queen of Squishies wrote:

Joy, I dream in color too. I was 45 years old before I found out that

not
everyone does! LOL

Karen,

Old October 28th 03, 04:09 PM
Susan Laity Price

My dreams are in full color and very detailed. I can described the
decorating in the room and exactly how different people were dressed.
My husband says my dreams are far more entertaining than many
television shows.

The fun is to see how my mind takes different experiences I have had
during the day and mixes them together in a dream.

My husband seldom remembers his dreams but wakes up with math and
computer problems solved that were bothering him at work the day
before. He is good evidence that our minds keep going when we are
asleep.

Susan

Old October 28th 03, 04:28 PM
Ellison

Howdy!~
Hmph! My Beg was so subtle and eloquent you barely noticed
it was a Beg. That's okay, I still got the quilt! G
Handquilted and ribbon-embroidered--it's quite lovely.

Ragmop/Sandy
"LN (remove NOSPAM)" wrote in message
Well, they have gotten quilts, but they didn't really beg all that hard.

It
was actually pretty pitiful.

I'll put you on the reserve list, Joy. I would love to bring one

personally
some day.

--
LN in NH
a crazy quilter * hand quilter * & hand appliquér

"A Joy in Hawaii"

Okay, LN, when you get an overload of quilts, pass one on over here!
It's cold up here in da mountains! (How's dat? Has anyone begged one
off of LN before? =} ).

A Joy in Hawaii

Old October 28th 03, 05:18 PM
Queen of Squishies

ROFL!!

Karen, Queen of Squishies

Old October 28th 03, 05:51 PM
Marijke

Here you go!

http://www.mccallsquilting.com/legac...ern/index.html

"Queen of Squishies" wrote in message
ink.net...
Link please????

Karen, Queen of Squishies
--
My reply address is scrambled. Please change my
address to hicall80 at earthlink dot net

I'm doing a paper pieced version of the DWR, at the McCall's website.

Very,
very easy.

Marijke, in Montreal