Some OT, some not. A little venting, a little beadmaking talk....

Old November 8th 04, 03:19 AM
Karleen/Vibrant Jewels

Just on the curiosity side, what do other countries do? Is there any
place
in the world that recognizes gay marriage?

Yes, Denmark, Norway and Sweden and most of Europe, some of South American,
South Africa:
http://www.datalounge.com/datalounge...?storyline=272
Connected to the decline of traditional marriage:
http://www.weeklystandard.com/Conten...3/660zypwj.asp

Old November 8th 04, 03:30 AM
Karen_AZ

I have nothing against any religion - just so long as they leave me out of
it.

Ooooh! I'm making that my new sigline!!!! G

KarenK

Old November 8th 04, 03:31 AM
Karen_AZ

Oh, but they do. All the time. At least they did where I used to live.

Same here. There's a running "joke" about the bike pairs because you can
always spot them in the dark thanks to their white shirts.

KarenK

Old November 8th 04, 03:32 AM
~Candace~

This is very true. If this could work at all, it would have to happen with
a couple who looked enough alike to be mistaken for brothers, I suppose.

"Kaytee" wrote in message
In article , "~Candace~"
writes:

Would it be possible for a lab to take sperm from both, and mix the two
samples, thersby not allowing any clear picture of exactly what sperm
impregnated the donor egg?

Depends on the... specific genetically determined characteristics... of
each
donor. If one was a pale, blue eyed blond, and the other a "man of color",
I'd
think it would be possible to tell which was the bioogical father of the
child.
Kaytee
"Simplexities" on
www.eclecticbeadery.com

Old November 8th 04, 03:36 AM
~Candace~

I can't get my brain to work to formulate ANY kind of response to this--I
sat here and sat here trying to get my brain to wrap around this discussion
again, and it just won't. Arrgghhh....

--
~Candace~

Orphan Beads ~low cost and bartering for the financially challenged beader~
http://snipurl.com/6s4t

Princess Auctions ~please see for most current updates and auction
information~
http://snipurl.com/8s8o

"Kalera Stratton" wrote in message
It would be possible to not know which sperm fertilized the egg without
doing a blood test, but that would be a moot point because in the case of
artifical insemination using a host mother, which is the only way the
above scario could be played out, the gay couple would both legally adopt
the progeny.

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

~Candace~ wrote:
"Kalera Stratton" wrote in message
Snippity:

Worse, and unfortunately not as uncommon as the above scenario; a gay
couple has kids; one of the couple is the biological parent and the other
is not. The non-biological parent cannot legally adopt the kids because
the other biological parent is still around and involved. You can
probably imagine what happens if the biological parent in the gay couple
dies.

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

I'm pretty much staying off this thread, but this made me wonder. Say a
male couple decides they would very much like to have a child, or
children. Would it be possible for a lab to take sperm from both, and mix
the two samples, thersby not allowing any clear picture of exactly what
sperm impregnated the donor egg? Sana a blood test being done after the
birth, this could be a way to say the kid is biologically the spawn of
both male parents. Or is my imagination in over drive? Just letting the
mind drift on this one.

Old November 8th 04, 04:41 AM
Armand Vine

I had a friend in graduate school who grew up with a mother who pounded the
bible many times a day.
I guess she was trying to make up for his alcoholic father(who outlived
her). He had studied the mormon bible and usually knew it better than the
kid missionaries so he talked rings around them.
Another friend, if he saw them on his stoop, would take off all his clothes,
open the dorr and say "yes, what can I do for you". They left quickly.

Old November 8th 04, 04:50 AM
Armand Vine

Unfortunately it does cost more. The VA provides about $35k to new paras and
quads to build a house that is compliant. That is what they figure the extra
cost will be. Actually that figure is several yrs old so it may be a lot
more now.
Wider doors, wider halls, bigger bathrooms etc.
Anything bigger adds to the total square feet which is a basic number in
calculating home building cost. Currently $150.00 per sq ft here. Probably
$4-500 in the bay area or LA.
Armand

Old November 8th 04, 06:00 AM
Stephanie

Candace, just wrap your mind around me! I can always use some input from my
muse.

From: "~Candace~"

sat here and sat here trying to get my brain to wrap around this discussion
again, and it just won't. Arrgghhh....

..Stephanie.

Gotta Question?
Google: rec.craft.bead
http://tinyurl.com/5wm36

Old November 8th 04, 06:23 AM
Dr. Sooz

What else can we do to make our home accessible to
someone in a wheelchair?

Make sure the areas he needs to traverse are clear enough for him to move
around in -- move furniture back a bit, get stuff off the floor. If he needs
to use a table, ensure that he can get his knees under it, and there are no
nails or screws that will poke his legs.
~~
Sooz
The things that will destroy us a politics without principle; pleasure
without conscience; wealth without work; knowledge without character; business
without morality; science without humanity, and worship without sacrifice. - M.
Ghandi

Old November 8th 04, 06:24 AM
Dr. Sooz

We have a ramp into the house for a formerly elderly golden retriever, and it
works very nicely for persons of the wheelchair-propelled persuasion!

Okay! I'll bring the homemade chili and the fresh Acme Bakery sourdough.
We'll be over tomorrow night.
~~