Fiber Stuff Today

Old February 11th 06, 03:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default Fiber Stuff Today

DH is in the kitchen working on omelets for us, and I am looking forward to
a great fiber day today .

I will turn in my knitted Amish throw at the Creative Arts competition of
the San Angelo Stock Show and Rodeo by noon or so. Our Creative Arts
competition includes a little bit of everything: drawing, painting,
photography, various food/cooking categories, sewing, decorated clothing,
quilting, hand embroidery, knitting and crocheting, jewelry making, etc.

Then this afternoon I have my monthly meeting of our local Fiber Arts group.
The program will be on reusing yarn...specifically what to look for in
sweaters that you might find at thrift stores or in your own closet so that
you can unravel them, wash the yarn and use it to make a new item.

Weather-wise, we are supposed to be in the 40's (F.) which is about 25
degrees cooler than it has been for the last several weeks. Well, I guess I
should go see if I can doing anything to assist in the kitchen. Things are
beginning to smell really good. Y'all have a great day!

BonnieBlue

Old February 12th 06, 12:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

In article 14nHf.48099$bF.18999@dukeread07, "BonnieBlue"
wrote:

[...]

You must have had a great day, sounds wonderful, with a good start of an
omelet created by your husband. How did you do in the competition, when
was the judgine done.

Tell us more

Els
Old February 12th 06, 04:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Els,

The Stock Show and Rodeo begins on Thursday, Feb. 16th, and everything opens
at that time to the public. That will be the first time I will be able to
see how I did in the competition unless the newspaper publishes the results
earlier. I've never been exactly certain when they judge the entries, but I
know they will be setting up everything between now and Thursday. It runs
until Feb. 25th.

Last year I entered the English band sampler I did in an individual
correspondence course through Embroiderers Guild of America. It won a 1st
place ribbon but did not win "best of show". The piece that won best of
show was a patriotic cross stitch and was beautiful but all done in cross
stitches when my band sampler contains many different stitches and
techniques. I think my DH was more upset than I was! I also entered two
small cross stitched pictures (the sun and the moon) stitched over one
thread of linen. They received "honorable mention" ribbons.

Then in 1999 I entered a sweatshirt with a cross stitched Christmas angel on
it...that won a 1st place. And the same year I entered two other cross
stitched pictures and one of them won a third place ribbon. That was my
first year to enter anything in a competition and the first year we lived
here in San Angelo, so I really did not know how elaborate the entries would
be.

Well, that was more than you wanted to know, I'm sure, but I got talkative!

BonnieBlue

Old February 13th 06, 12:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

In article CIyHf.49356$bF.35033@dukeread07, "BonnieBlue"
wrote:

[...]

The times I have entered the local fair craft shows, have always been
fun. Nice to bring a ribbon home, certainly for a city slicker like I
am....LOL Hope you get another rbibon, but just being part of it all is
fun as well, at least that is what I found.

When I was doing a warp painting session wiht a group of guild members, at
our house, we used Otto's workshop table. Otto at that time was
reproducing a beautiful old Dutch wind mill. It was a saw mill from the
16 or 17 hundreds. He made it a working model to scale. One of the ladies
who has lived in the Cowichan valley since birth, and attended many of the
Fall faires, insisted that Otto enter the mill at the Fair. He got many
ribbons, but the best thing was, that Otto stood and talked to everyone
about the history of this mill. We sort of felt very much part of our
community, the Dutch community, but most of all the Cowichan valley
community, both having a rich history in the lumber industry.

Els
Old February 13th 06, 12:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

wrote:

[...]

Hey, good for Otto!

Higs,
Katherine