Quilting in Lexington KY?

Old April 4th 05, 12:46 AM
Karen Johnson

Default Quilting in Lexington KY?

Is anybody here from the Lexington, KY area?

Can you tell me about local guilds, or recommend good local shops? Or
generally tell me if there's a quilting community of any sort, and
what it's like?

DBF and I are engaged in an ongoing discussion about what our next
step will be when his sabbatical in Boston is over. More and more it
seems to me that our best choice is going back to Lexington, KY, where
he's got a tenured position, where housing prices are actually
reasonable (unlike Boston and Los Angeles, our other two top choices),
and where his kids live.

I'm not about to make a decision based on the presence or absence of
my hobbies -- but it sure goes into the equation! All I know about
quilting in Lexington is that UK has a fabulous display of quilts in
the library ... can anybody clue me in? If you're more comfortable
replying by email, that's fine too.

Thanks so much!

Karen Johnson

http://www.dabukar.com
Old April 4th 05, 03:05 AM
KJ

I don't know about Lexington, but you would be close enough to drive to
Paducah for the show and the year round classes at the museum wouldn't you?
Those quilts in the UK library are fabulous!

Old April 4th 05, 03:15 AM
Pat in Virginia

AFAIK, the State of Kentucky (Or is is a
Commonwealth?) has a very nice tradition of fine
folk art and crafts, including quilting. Also, the
MAQS and Museum is in Paducah, KY. So I think you
should be able to find like minded souls. Don't
forget ... mind julep, blue grass, Southern
Hospitality! Good luck, PAT in VA/USA

Old April 5th 05, 04:57 AM
sdgodfrey

Karen, I'm not from Lexington, but I am nearby. Lexington has 3 quilt
shops and at least one quilting guild. I've never been to one of their
meetings so I can't help you there. I believe they meet at one of the
local churches. There is also a statewide group called Kentucky
Heritage Quilters Society. They have quilting retreats at Jabez, KY and
an annual Getaway at the Georgetown College. Georgetown is a very easy
drive from Lexington. Many people commute back and forth between the
two.

I belong to the Frankfort guild which I love. If they didn't have a
great one, I may have been tempted to try the one in Lexington.

Paducah is not a quick trip from Lexington, but it's not that bad. I've
only been once (not to the show) and we spent the night at Kentucky Lake
State Park. Our state park system is very good compared to other
states, at least that's what I've heard. I enjoy visiting them but
haven't used other state parks, so I can't compare.

Kentucky is a beautiful place to live. But I freely admit I am biased.
I've lived here all my life and I love it.

--
Sherri G in Kentucky
http://community.webshots.com/user/sdgodfrey

http://www.dabukar.com

Old April 5th 05, 04:28 PM
Karen Johnson

Sherri,

Thanks SO much for replying! This is exactly the kind of information
I'm looking for.

I did manage to get to Paducah last year (for the show), when I was
visiting DBF in Lexington -- it's about a 5-hour drive. And worth
every mile, I thought.

I was very impressed with Lexington. The town clearly has a lot to
offer, and would be a wonderful place to live. (I particularly love
the fact that Berea is nearby, too.) I told DBF that from what I
could see, Lexington had nearly everything to offer that Los Angeles
did -- just in smaller quantities. Unfortunately, that increasingly
seems to include traffic and suburban sprawl, but what are you going
to do ... that's happening everywhere. All ilt needs is a Trader
Joe's to be perfect :-).

Anyway, thanks so much for the info. I'll keep it on file; we're not
due to move back until July 2006, but I do like to look ahead!

Old April 5th 05, 04:50 PM
Karen Johnson

I don't know about Lexington, but you would be close enough to drive to
Paducah for the show and the year round classes at the museum wouldn't you?
Those quilts in the UK library are fabulous!

Paducah is about 5 hours away ... worth the drive, but not a trip I'd
make frequently. We went last year for the show, and had the great
and wonderful pleasure of staying in Metropolis! Half the fun was
being at the Superman Hotel.

I should probably be very happy that Hancock's isn't within easy
driving distance. I remember too well the trips that MeSue,
Jayne/Giraffe and I used to take to Rosie's in San Diego ... a little
hard on the credit card. Having seen Hancock's once and been
completely overwhelmed, I know the damage I could do there!

Karen Johnson

http://www.dabukar.com
Old April 5th 05, 04:53 PM
Karen Johnson

Pat,

AFAIK, the State of Kentucky (Or is is a
Commonwealth?) has a very nice tradition of fine
folk art and crafts, including quilting. Also, the
MAQS and Museum is in Paducah, KY. So I think you
should be able to find like minded souls. Don't
forget ... mind julep, blue grass, Southern
Hospitality!

I'm particularly intrigued by the fact that Berea is just a quick run
down the road -- I fell completely in love with it (how could you
not?)

The only problem with finding like-minded souls is that I'd have tao
know my own mind! :-) But you're right -- there's a large arts
community there, so I'm sure there are people tucked away in the
hollers (well, at least in the cul de sacs) who share my quilting
tastes.

Never had a mint julep. I'm told I won't be able to avoid it come
Derby time, though ....

Karen Johnson

http://www.dabukar.com
Old April 5th 05, 04:55 PM
KJ

A five hour drive! What a great get away distance! You could spend one
night and see the museum, shop at Hancock's, eat at Max's brick oven, and be
home at a reasonable time! I'm jealous!