glassdoc.org

Old November 18th 04, 10:39 AM
Manfred

Default glassdoc.org

Hi folks,

I've setup a wiki on glass. There's a german and an english version at the
following links:

http://en.glassdoc.org #english of course
http://de.glassdoc.org #german of course

There's not much stuff there yet but as there is certainly going to be
some it'll be under the "Creative Commons License".
That's sort of GPL for anything that you want to share on a free basis.
But it's explained there.

Documentation about how it works and conventions to be used so that we can
get on well together is scarce too but it will build up eventually.

There's also a mailing list available at
http://glassdoc.org/mailman/listinfo but you won't actually need that
since you got rec.crafts.glass :-)
But if you want to talk about glassdoc.org only it's probably the better
place to do so.

For the ones that want to communicate more directly from time to time. You
may want to drop in on irc.freenode.net #glassdoc

So there should be something for everybody.

The contents of glassdoc.org will be available as dumps of the database
regularly (say weekly) free for download.
So be aware that whatever you contribute you might get corrected by
someone else :-)

--manfred
Old November 18th 04, 05:40 PM
Mike Firth

The problem with a wiki - at least www.wikipedia.com - that anything put
up can be changed and the most relentless poster wins. The wikipedia
entries on glass contain a number of errors and corrections or notes simply
vanish.

--
Mike Firth
Hot Glass Bits Furnace Working Website

news

Old November 18th 04, 08:21 PM
Manfred

The problem with a wiki - at least www.wikipedia.com - that anything
put
up can be changed and the most relentless poster wins. The wikipedia
entries on glass contain a number of errors and corrections or notes
simply
vanish.

I don't deny that this problem exists in some way, but I have been
lurcking around wikipedia for quite a while now and only decided to try it
myself when I learned that this can be dealt with rather easily.

The folks on wikipedia just explain that very well here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikiped...mon_objections

If you register (you don't even need to provide your email address) you
get some extra features like a watchlist. So, when you contribute or edit
an article you normally set it on your watchlist where you can see if that
articles got changed and if it's in your interest. Remember when others
add something constructive to articles you initialized that's a chance for
you to profit from their experience.

I almost forgot, in about a month or so there will be a service available
that you get changes on articles you want to take care of mailed to you so
you don't have to check them out explicitly every few days.

But also, this sort of collaboration lives from the agreement that
articles are not owned actually but perceived as a collective achievement.
I think that's the actual wonderful thing about it.

If it's a vandal you are just two mouse clicks away from a state of the
article you can agree to.
Here's an example of an version history.
http://de.glassdoc.org/index.php?tit...action=history
You can compare whatever versions you want with one another.
You can revert it to whatever version you want.
No big deal. Nothing get's lost. Never.

The only ones that really can mess things up are sysops, but even they are
somewhat limited and they have to be given rights beforehand :-)
And if it's really broken, a worst case scenario, I just restore the
database to a time when it wasn't broken yet.

Another thing is that currently anybody, registered or not, can edit
_almost_ any page.
This can be restricted to allowing only registered members to actually
create or edit a page. But I didn't want to decide that myself since my
motivation is only to provide the platform for others to use and I think
that can be decided on later by the community in a democratic way.

There will also other _sysops_ be needed that get into that position by
sufficient votes from others. I just beg for understanding that I will
remain being a sysop whether elected or not 'cause I'm legally responsible
for that stuff and have to remain control over the server :-)
See how that works on Wikipedia he
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikiped..._for_adminship

Oh, I got drifted away :-)
Sorry.

--manfred
Old November 18th 04, 08:25 PM
Manfred

Sorry Chris,

you are right. Men are morons. We know that :-)
But on a wiki you can ban them morons and make their destructive actions
undone.
So it's an improvement. Really :-)

--manfred

This isn't a problem exclusive to wiki.

Several thousand years ago, a herd of Isrealites voted to make
themselves a golden cow to worship as God.

About two thousand years ago, a herd of people decided to cruicify
Jesus Christ.

A few hundred years ago, a herd of people decided that black people were
really not persons.

Sixty years ago, another herd of people decided that Jewish human beings
were unworthy of the protection of the law, even from genocide.

Thirty years ago, another herd of people decided that they had no right
to prevent the death of a human being whose mother found inconvenient.

Whoever thinks that any herd of human beings can arrive at the Truth
unassisted, has done a very poor study of human history.

May God make you, and everyone whose life you touch, HOLY. May you let
Him do so.

Chris (the unwise)

I wonder, should I post this a few million times?

Old November 18th 04, 08:34 PM
Manfred

I almost forgot, in about a month or so there will be a service
available that you get changes on articles you want to take care of
mailed to you so you don't have to check them out explicitly every few
days.

Ah, yes. A RSS feed is already available. I've set it to update every 24
hours.
You find it here http://en.glassdoc.org/Special:Recentchanges
there's a link in the toolbox on the left side.

Old November 18th 04, 11:36 PM
Mike Beede

In article , Manfred wrote:

But on a wiki you can ban them morons and make their destructive actions
undone.

I don't think you really countered Mike's observation: the most relentless
one wins, not the one that's right. Just because someone's right doesn't
mean they want to spend their life arguing about it (which is in effect
what can happen).

Good luck.

Mike Beede
Old November 19th 04, 02:23 AM
Mike Firth

Thank you for your profession of faith - now go and try to keep a change in
wikipeda - the one with as much determination as you admire will win - there
is RIGHT, Right, and right.

--
Mike Firth
Hot Glass Bits Furnace Working Website
http://users.ticnet.com/mikefirth/hotbit46.htm Latest notes

"Chris the Unwise" wrote in message
Though I've not literally shaken hands with them, I take it on faith that
there are many men and women who did spend their entire life defending
what they knew was Right.

Some spent their entire worldly fortunes, or watched as they were stolen
from beneath them. They realized that their worldly fortunes _were_
beneath them, and counted them as nothing.

Some were turned away, or did turn away, from families and friends who
didn't value the Truth more than themselves or each other.

Some laid down their lives for what they believed in.

The Martyrs realized that the lives with which they'd been entrusted were
not their own, and were worth less than the entire collection of worldly
goods if they did not glorify the Truth. They were ready to return their
lives in order to glorify and defend the Truth.

And it's hard for me to defend the teaching of Christ at the risk of
social discomfort.

Pray for me, a sinner.

Chris (the unwise)

May God make you, and everyone whose lives you touch, holy. May you let
Him do so.

Old November 19th 04, 03:28 AM
nJb

Chris the Unwise wrote:

[...]

Yes, the common thing among the herds is that they all believed in god.
Post it in alt.athiest.

Jack