OT for Lia and other spellers

Old October 17th 05, 06:21 AM
melinda

Default OT for Lia and other spellers

WitchyStitcher wrote:
And then their was the Pizza Place across from the High School I
worked in for a while.

They had a huge sign that said "DINNING ROOM"

Linda
PATCHogue, NY

That sounds noisy!

--
Melinda
http://cust.idl.com.au/athol
Old October 17th 05, 08:04 AM
Sharon Harper

Default OT Stately Variations was OT for Lia and other spellers

Hmmm so far it seem pretty fairly divided. Back where we started from...

quicker)

"melinda" wrote in message news:1129525591.21755@idlweb...
Sharon Harper wrote:
LOL - I get into heaps of trouble over that (being from NSW and all).

Tell
me is it "Incy Wincy Spider who climbed up the water spout" or "Itsy

Bitsy
Spider"??? We all know he got washed out when down came the rain but

cannot
agree on whether he was incy wincy or itsy bitsy.

The spider is 'incy wincy' for me!

--
Melinda
http://cust.idl.com.au/athol

Old October 17th 05, 02:18 PM
Mika

I think posting in the newsgroup is the exception to the rule Melinda. I get
in a hurry at times and add a space where one shouldn't be or hit the send
button before I've proofed my post and have some misspelled words. And my
spell checker does work on newsgroup posts. But it isn't foolproof. Unless
someone runs sentences together without punctuation or have so many
misspelled words that it makes for difficult reading, I usually don't pay
any attention to grammatical or spelling errors in ng posts. What bothers me
is when someone writes a letter or a legal document or whatever that has
errors and then they blame it on the spell checker or grammar checker.

Mika
http://community.webshots.com/user/mikasdrms

"melinda" wrote in message news:1129524968.542678@idlweb...
Mika wrote:
I think that is a huge problem now days too, especially with this new "No
Child Left Behind" law. Teachers are forced to promote students to the
next
grade whether they have actually made the grades to earn that promotion.
That give the kids a new manipulation tool because they can blow off
school
and pass anyway. I feel sorry for the teachers who are truly dedicated to
teaching and really care about whether the students learn or not. They
are
in a tough position.

In this computer age with spell checkers people have a false sense of
security about their spelling and grammar. I have always been very
meticulous about my spelling and it really irritates me to see simple
words
misspelled just because people get lazy and think the spell checker will
catch it. I'm not a perfect speller by any means and it irritates me when
find out that I have misspelled a word. One of my pet peeves though is
when
people misuse Then and Than. grrrrr. Ok off my soap box. lol.

Mika
http://community.webshots.com/user/mikasdrms

The program I use for newsgroup replys does not have a spell checker
and sometimes I type replys in a rush and don't carefully re-read
what I have typed. Most of the time it's just that I've hit the
wrong key, usually a neighbour, sometimes I get a space in the wrong
place, but generally it's not too difficult to figure out what I mean
I know my gramma is not the best when I was at school it wasn't too
heavily focused on - the creativity was the focus at my school at least,
there are times when I wish it had been the other way round.

--
Melinda
http://cust.idl.com.au/athol

Old October 17th 05, 02:29 PM
Mika

Last month when we were in Dallas, it was so cute to see DGS point to
something and say "Pease" and "Taintu" for please and thank you. He's 20
months old now and chatters up a storm.

Mika
http://community.webshots.com/user/mikasdrms

"melinda" wrote in message news:1129525777.967746@idlweb...
Sharon Harper wrote:
what about pasgetti instead of spaghetti? Or aks instead of ask? But
what
about the plain old fashioned forgetting to say please and thank you????
Drives me nuts. mmm-hmmm, it does.

DS asks for things with please, most of the time, and we're slowly getting
him to thank you as well! He's turning out to be a well behaved and good
mannered little boy.

--
Melinda
http://cust.idl.com.au/athol

Old October 17th 05, 03:45 PM
Phyllis Nilsson

After mommy and daddy, please and thank you were the first words taught
to all my children.

Old October 17th 05, 04:25 PM
Sally Swindells

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 17:04:29 +1000, "Sharon Harper"
wrote:

Hmmm so far it seem pretty fairly divided. Back where we started from...

Googled, and they were fairly equal too. (I learned Incy)

--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~

Old October 17th 05, 05:06 PM
SNIGDIBBLY

.... as articulated in the south "Ya'll" = plural of you ... when referring
to any number of people. LOL!!

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \
"WitchyStitcher" wrote in message
news
When I taught HS, the teacher I shared a room with had a rather
gruesome picture of a kid standing over his mother with the caption,
"I'll have to axe my mother."

An interesting aside I learned in a linguistics class:

The use of the word Yous (as in: Yous are going to be quilting this
afternoon) in NYC, particularly Brooklyn came about because of the
large numbers of European immigrants from countries that had both
singular and plural forms of the word "YOU". As they were learning
English, they could not internalize the idea that "YOU" in English
could be both singular and plural.

Linda
PATCHogue, NY

On 16 Oct 2005 11:06:13 GMT, dogsnus wrote:

More here that is used today...and I noticed that axe is there...
still used in NE England apparently.

Old October 17th 05, 05:12 PM
Pat in Virginia

Thanks for the update, but I'll stick to my own way.
My friends and family would crack up if I started saying Tew Er,
even mushed together!!
PAT

Phyllis Nilsson wrote:
Tour - toor (sounds like tew er with the two syllables squished together).

Tour - tore (sounds like, "He tore his new shirt."

Pat in Virginia wrote:

Those two sound the same to me. I can't make them into two different
sounds. If we ever meet, I will avoid the word tour altogether!! We
will go on a viewing of LQS, not a tour of LQS, okay?
PAT in VA/USA

One that drives me nuts is pronouncing tour as "tore" instead of "toor".

Old October 17th 05, 05:15 PM
Pat in Virginia

Those mid western USA people have a pretty strong accent to my
ears. Especially the A in Pat and Kathy and Sparrow. I might
concede that the Californians have very little discernible
accent, except for the O in some words. I still say it is okay to
have a different accent in various regions. Makes life more
interesting!! Back to quilting,
PAT in VA/USA

Phyllis Nilsson wrote:

When asked one time if not having an accent at all was, in reality, a
form of accent, Marilyn vonSant (Sunday Parade columnist) said
pronouncing words as they are in the dictionary is having no accent, and
midwesterners were closer to having no accent than those in other parts
of the country.

Pat in Virginia wrote:

Linda:
I don't hear any difference either. BUT, I must take you to task on
"NY accents and the way words should be pronounced." What makes OTHER
people's words better than NY words?? Sure, there are some OBVIOUS boo
boos (like saying ax for ask, which is NOT a NY issue) but by an
large, the emphasis on certain vowels is a regional thing, and IMO
should not be cause for censure.

Old October 17th 05, 05:18 PM
Pat in Virginia

Mika:
Yes and yep!! I agree with all of this. So do not fret, Melinda.
I would like to point out that as quilters we have a built in
excuse! We sometimes get light headed handling fabric, or even
just talking about quilts!!
Grins, PAT