Soul food

Old September 30th 05, 11:47 AM
Roberta

Marcella Peek wrote:

If you're going to keep the title, then I think you need to visit in
October. The church down the road has a Chocolate Festival. They give
you a three and a half hour time slot and you go into their activity
room at the appointed time. The room has tables set up along all the
walls and chocolate from all sorts of shops is out for the eating -
candy, cookies, ice cream, chocolate bars, chocolate milk..... You eat
until you are sick or until your time has ended. They usually have a
raffle and the last time I was there they had enough prizes that
everyone got one. There is also lots of coffee and ice water to wash it
all down.

Wanna come?

http://www.uccbelmont.org/events.htm

marcella

This had me oooohing and ahhhhhing In hmmm about a year and a half
or so we will be transfering to Monterey Calif for 18 months - it's
about 2 hours away...somehow I think it would be worth the drive!

Roberta (in VA)
Old September 30th 05, 11:52 AM
Roberta

Mika - it is my understanding that people (other than your dad *G*)
call gravy made with coffee "red-eye gravy" there may be other subtle
differences, but I don't know them at the moment

Roberta (in VA)

Mika wrote:
My dad uses tea to make gravy only he takes it a step further and uses
coffee too. He calls it John Glenn Gravy because it's out of this world. In
other words it delicious. Just use the juice or dripping from whatever beef
you have cooked, add equal amounts of tea and coffee then add a
cornstarch/water mixture to thicken. It really is good. I have also added a
beef bouillon cube for added flavor.

Mika
http://community.webshots.com/user/mikasdrms

"C & S" wrote in message

Yum, Yum you bring back childhood memories. Mom would make this amazing
gravy with onions (she would sometimes use tea when there was leftover as
opposed to water) that we would put on a hamburger patty, soaking the
gravy
on white bread, was it good! When I go over for dinner, I'll often ask
her
to make it for me ).

Carole
Champlain, NY

"Jan" wrote in message
link.net...

Choc, coffee, sausage gravy with anything :-), and a thing called hot
hamburger from my home town... consists of slice of bread, topped with

thin

burger, topped with french fries and smothered in a brown gravy :-D

Jan

Old September 30th 05, 12:47 PM
C & S

I bet your dad's gravy must be good! Now that I think of it, Mom would have
probably used coffee to (we did come home for lunch). She used whatever was
around. Dad drank coffee in the morning and tea at lunch and onward. She
didn't used cornstarch but flour. She would make a batch of roasted/brown
flour (put flour in a hot pan and cook until brown). From the fat and
dripping she would cook her onions, than add the flour followed by the
liquid. I haven't mastered the art of gravy making as of yet.

Carole
Champlain, NY

Old September 30th 05, 12:55 PM
C & S

Snig, sounds wonderful. I've printed it and will give it a try. Where do
you get your thick sliced smoked bacon? Do you have a butcher shop in your
area? We had one for apprx 6 months. Best meat I had in a while. The
first hamburg we made from his meat brought me back to my childhood, early
1960's. Mom always ordered the meats from the butcher shop. The taste was
just like I remembered, you know back when meat had a taste. Unfortunatly,
he decided not to go on ( certainly not from lack of business.

Carole
Champlain, NY

"SNIGDIBBLY" wrote in message
Snigs Potato Soup

In a large Dutch Oven:

Brown about 8 slices of good lean smoked bacon. I prefer the thick slice
and cube it.

To that I add a cup of cubed celery and yellow onion and smash and mince
about 4 (we love garlic so you could omit or use less)garlic cloves.

Cook
in bacon drippings until onion is translucent. Set aside.

I peel and dice about 5 pounds of potatoes. I make sure the Dutch oven is
about 2/3 full. Add water to just cover the potatoes. Instead of salt I
use 1 tablespoon chicken boullian for flavor. This can be omitted if you
are watching your sodium intake. Cook until potatoes are tender.

At this point you can smash some of the potatoes to use as a thickner or

add
a can of Cream of Celery Soup. I also like to add a drained can of whole
kernel corn but this probably means it should be called corn chowder.

Add 1/2 can evaporated milk (I've used the soy milk and it is good too)

and
cook until heated thru. You can use skim milk and omit the bacon if you
want less fat in your soup.

Just before serving I give it a nice sprinkle of course ground black

pepper
and top with sliced green onions and finely diced red pepper just to make

it
look pretty.

Serve with hot buttered sweet yellow cornbread.

Sweet Yellow Cornbread

1 C Yellow Cornmeal (the cheap coarse kind)
1 C Flour
1/4 C Sugar
1 T Baking Powder
1 t Salt
1 Egg
1/3 C Vegetable Oil
1/2 can Evaporated Milk (skim milk is fine) and enough water to make the

mix
the consistency of thick buttermilk.

Coat the bottom of a HOT (I heat mine in the oven while I am preheating to
425 degrees Farenheit) well cured caste iron skillet with enough vegetable
oil to prevent sticking. Dump above mixture in while skillet is still

hot.
You should hear it sizzle when it first goes in. Place in preheated oven
and bake about 25 minutes till darkly golden on top. Turn out on a round
platter with the crispy bottom up. Cut into wedges. Serve hot with lots

of
butter.

Hope this helps.

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \
"Mika" wrote in message
Snig, how do you make your potato soup? That was a given when anyone was
sick at our house when I was growing up.

Old September 30th 05, 01:05 PM
C & S

I hear you about the bread now days. I make my own when time permits. As a
kid we used to visit my DGParents country place in St Zenon, Quebec (were
the roads ended - if you wanted to call it a road). There was a Country
bakery store (still around to this day) who made the most amazing white
bread, the non sliced one. Well, toasted bread (think slice) on the wood
stove (the old fashion kind that was used before electricity) smothered in
butter. Yum, yum. Dad now lives out there and I will make toast when I
visit but it's not the same. He only has a small wood stove, not the old
fashion kind that people used to cook on. I'd love to own one of those old
fashion stoves just for nostalgia and toasting fresh bread ) - Never mind
my cholesterol - I'll have a glass of read wine later on! D

Carole (a transplant from Montreal)
Champlain, NY

"Mika" wrote in message
One of the worst things a person could have for a soul food - white bread.

love fresh, soft white bread and my thighs show it. Oh how I miss the

fresh
bread from the bakery back home. Bread bought here on the island seems to

go
stale so fast and once it gets the slightest hint of moldy smell, I can't
eat it. But bread will sooth my soul often before anything else will.

Old September 30th 05, 03:58 PM
Sally Swindells

What on earth is chocolate gravy - and what to you put it on. Just
can't imagine a nice piece of beef or pork with chocolate on!

--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 05:05:44 -0400, "Mika"
wrote:

Wow Tina! I haven't had tomato gravy in so long I had forgotten about it.
Fresh tomatoes from the garden made into gravy dolloped on fresh white
bread. Oh yummy. It almost makes me miss the farm. I haven't had chocolate
gravy in a long time either. I may have to surprise DH with those treats
once I get back on my feet and can cook again.

Mika
http://community.webshots.com/user/mikasdrms

"Tina" wrote in message
oups.com...
Now THAT'S my daughters "soul food"! Whenever we go to our lake house
on vacation, my daughter always expects me to make her home made
biscuits and sausage gravy. I made breakfast for her Sunday morning at
the lake house and she was too sick to eat very much - but she said it
was the best sausage gravy and biscuits I had ever made at the lake
house. I think just because it was the most normal thing for us this
weekend.

Thank God for Southern Soul Food!
Tina, wondering who has the best recipe for Tomato Gravy - my personal
favorite

Old September 30th 05, 04:03 PM
Pat in Virginia

Mika:
I've gotta ask: what in the world is chocolate gravy?? In fact,
what is tomato gravy?
PAT, always interested in different food, in VA/USA

Old September 30th 05, 04:11 PM
Tina

Tomato gravy is made with fresh, vine ripe tomatoes - I just don't know
exactly how. I had a great aunt that made it for me every time we went
up to the country to visit. It was the most wonderful gravy I had ever
had. Of course, I love tomatoes especially fresh, just picked, vine
ripe tomatoes. It was kind of a cream/white based gravy.

I sure wish someone would come up with that recipe?!?!?! Come on
Snigs, no tomato gravy in Arkansas?

Hugs,
Tina

Old September 30th 05, 04:15 PM
Pat in Virginia

Every one has a different idea on what is good bread. I love the
South, but have never found the bread to be that good. I got some
nice bread in California, and of course great bread in Germany
and France. Outstanding bread, especially rolls, is of the MAIN
things I miss about the Island!! (FYI, dear readers: Long Island
is a very large land mass in New York State, not a town, as some
newspapers seem to think!) The reason it goes stale quicker is
because it is not loaded with preservatives. It is real bread.
But then, I don't eat soft white bread. I like Pumpernickel, Rye,
Whole Wheat, etc. Salt sticks, I miss those Long Island Salt
Sticks!! I mostly miss the break at German Bakeries, and the
Jewish Delis. Oh my, this is making me hungry.
PAT in VA/USA

One of the worst things a person could have for a soul food - white bread. I

Old September 30th 05, 04:20 PM
Ellison

Howdy!
When you leave Houston, Sandy, head west to West,
a Czech community in central Texas. There are several
good bakeries there with fresh kolaches.
Just a little further south (and north) there are quilt shops.
See? It's a good trip! ;-D

Ragmop/Sandy--noting that one of the best West kolache bakeries
is facing I-35, the main route between north Texas and Austin
and further south g

"Sandy Foster" wrote in message
In article gC1%e.15833$qC4.5058@trnddc02,
Taria wrote:

.....and don't forget we have happy cows : )
Kolache is one of my comfort foods. Apricot
my fav. That is hardly texan, you all must
have stolen that from the Czech's.
Thought of you when I saw the marinated in
dr. Pepper beef recipe the other day Sandy.
Taria, still missing fats

I'm a different Sandy, but I adore Kolache! I haven't had it in ages,
though. :S My favorite was always prune, but apricot is a close
second.... Anyone have a good recipe?
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education

Mexican Food in New England meijhana Beads 7 August 15th 04 06:50 AM
dyeing with food colouring Els van Dam Yarn 14 July 1st 04 07:17 PM
no food by mail? JL Amerson Beads 84 January 30th 04 06:44 AM
Food beads revisited Jalynne Beads 22 September 8th 03 05:21 PM
hummingbird food/ liquuid recipe Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply Quilting 30 August 27th 03 01:40 AM