Update from Germany

Old July 31st 03, 09:50 AM
Jewitch

Default Update from Germany

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 3:45:32 -0400, Kathy N-V
wrote:

The best thing was that my grandmother was actually wearing things I had
given her.
-------------------

On a tangental subject, I got a letter from a local handicapped children's
center. GENEROUS SNIPPING The letter was to ask me if I could possibly make more
sets than I had last year, since so many people had asked if my jewelry would
be at this year's fund raiser.

How blessed you are on both counts! I love to know that people
actually use the gifts -- whether I made them or not -- that I've
given them. That makes the gifting so much more satisfying to me.
That's when giving truly is better than recieving, I think!

And to have such positive feedback from the children's center. That's
a cause that touches my own heart. On a personal level, I'd like to
thank you for your generous and beautiful work (but that's on the
verge of being another post) and to thank you for inspiring me. I
think I may donate some pieces to adult facility that's near-and-dear
and see if it will help them any!

Oh! Why don't you work up some masculine pieces for them, too!

Jewitch
Old July 31st 03, 03:06 PM
Kandice Seeber

You are such a lovely and generous person, Kathy - how sweet of you! And I
am happy that you get to help children, too.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

As most of you know, my daughter is attending our family reunion in

Germany
for the occasion of my grandfather's 90th birthday. We've been emailing

back
and forth, since this is my daughter's first big trip without me (she's

13).
As is my habit, I made special pieces for each female relative, and DD
brought them along for gifts.

When DD passed out the little black velvet bags with the necklaces, one of

my
aunts laughed, and then told DD a story:

At Easter, the whole family got together for the usual celebration dinner.
My Grandmother, who is always early to everything, arrived wearing the

taupe
sweater I sent her for Christmas, along with a multi-strand pearl necklace

had made. Then my six aunts arrived, each of them were wearing my

necklaces.
My favorite cousin was wearing her necklace, and her mother (also wearing

Kathy necklace) arrived with the large beaded bag I made. This Tante is a
paraplegic, and I made her a 5"x 7" peyote stitch purse embellished with
flower and lady bug beads with two offset straps to attach to the handles

of
the wheelchair.

None of them had known that the others would be wearing my creations, and
they had a good laugh about it. They also admitted that they wore my

stuff
all the time, and when they heard DD was going to be at the reunion, they
were hoping I'd send more. They also love the little velvet bags for some
reason. (So I sent extra empty bags)

The best thing was that my grandmother was actually wearing things I had
given her. She normally thanks me for the gifts, then hides them

somewhere,
never to be seen again. (An idiosyncracy left over from WWII, when each

set
of advancing troops looted her home.) That these pieces saw the light of

day
means she must really love them, and actually believed me when I said that

make pieces to be worn, not hidden away.
-------------------

On a tangental subject, I got a letter from a local handicapped children's
center. This center provides services for children who have so many
handicaps that they either go to this place or a hospital to live out

their
short lives.

Last year, I made sets of necklaces and matching bracelets for their

annual
fund raiser. They auctioned off my pieces and got a bit over a thousand
dollars for them. The letter was to ask me if I could possibly make more
sets than I had last year, since so many people had asked if my jewelry

would
be at this year's fund raiser.

I'm flattered and happy: I get to combine my love of making things with

my
love of children! How lucky can I get?

Once my houseguests leave and I once again have access to my beads, I

think
I'm going to be very busy!

Kathy N-V

P.S.: There's nothing new posted, but if you new folks want to see some
examples of my work, it's at http://www.picturetrail.com/kathynv

I lied about the nothing new - there aren't any new jewelry photos, but

there
are photos of me and DH in the "My Beautiful Family" album. Take a look

if
you'd like.

Old July 31st 03, 04:35 PM
Diana Curtis

Yep, its so nice to be able to *see* who we are getting to know so well
through the storys you tell.
The first photo .. .what they say is true, a picture is worth a thousand
words.
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44

"Barbara Forbes-Lyons" wrote in message
Great story and a testament to the love of your family and quality of your
work!

And...it's great to put a face with your name, finally!

--

Barbara
www.penguintrax.com

eBay: pnguintrax
Justbeadsenguintrax

0
/O\

Old July 31st 03, 05:21 PM
Cheri2Star

How nice to know your family appreciates your gifts! And the children's
center! That is a huge compliment and a wonderful cause to be helping.

Thanks for letting us have a smiling face to put with your wonderful stories.

Cheri
(Bubbee to Emily and Nathan)
Old July 31st 03, 06:57 PM
Dr. Sooz

Oh -- weird. Kathy, that was exactly how I thought you looked. shivering I
had a picture of you in my mind, and that was it. :-)

there
are photos of me and DH in the "My Beautiful Family" album.

~~
Sooz
-------
"Selective deafness, it's a wonderful thing." ~Kathy N-V
ESBC
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
~ Bead Notes: Beading information A - Z
http://www.lampwork.net/beadnotes.html

Old August 1st 03, 02:53 AM
Carol in SLC

That these pieces saw the light of day means she must really love them, and
actually believed me when I said that I make pieces to be worn, not hidden
away.

This brought tears to my eyes, Kathy!

Carol in SLC
My new stuff: http://members.aol.com/carolinslc/batik.jpg
Old August 1st 03, 04:14 AM
Deirdre S.

Yay! It is good to have a face to go with the voice. Now I can imagine
you more completely when I read your posts.

Congrats on all the indirect and direct compliments to your work, too.

How soon does Manda get home?

Deirdre

wrote:

As most of you know, my daughter is attending our family reunion in Germany
for the occasion of my grandfather's 90th birthday. We've been emailing back
and forth, since this is my daughter's first big trip without me (she's 13).
As is my habit, I made special pieces for each female relative, and DD
brought them along for gifts.

When DD passed out the little black velvet bags with the necklaces, one of my
aunts laughed, and then told DD a story:

At Easter, the whole family got together for the usual celebration dinner.
My Grandmother, who is always early to everything, arrived wearing the taupe
sweater I sent her for Christmas, along with a multi-strand pearl necklace I
had made. Then my six aunts arrived, each of them were wearing my necklaces.
My favorite cousin was wearing her necklace, and her mother (also wearing a
[...]

means she must really love them, and actually believed me when I said that I

Old August 1st 03, 07:33 AM
Kalera Stratton

In article ,
Kathy N-V wrote:

P.S.: There's nothing new posted, but if you new folks want to see some
examples of my work, it's at http://www.picturetrail.com/kathynv

I lied about the nothing new - there aren't any new jewelry photos, but there
are photos of me and DH in the "My Beautiful Family" album. Take a look if
you'd like.

You remind me so much of my beautiful friend Fiona... I am amazed by the
resemblance! Your DH looks like an absolute sweetheart, too.

--
-Kalera
Mom of Juliet, 5, Sam, 3, and Ophelia, born 5/31/03
See us at www.strattonhome.org