FS: 3d Facial Capture Camera (digitizer) for 3d laser etching of glass

Old October 28th 04, 11:21 PM
Dan Serra

Default FS: 3d Facial Capture Camera (digitizer) for 3d laser etching of glass

3d facial capture with high fidelity and color maps with the 3d
Metrics Venus camera. This robust and easy to use camera works by the
principle of analyzing interference patterns that are projected on the
face and captured by the camera. Since it is natural light and not a
laser emission the eyes can safely remain open during capturing,
yielding more detail. The images are then downloaded into the PC via
USB and imported directly into the application. After a brief setup
the software processes the image and extract the 3d surfaces and
accurately places the maps. You can then export the surface.

The surfaces created are very clean triangles of reasonably density.
You can shoot the side of the face and capture more detail and stitch
them together in another app. It doesn't capture hair very well unless
it is a light color that can reflect the pattern. Otherwise you have
to powder the hair or model it.

The point data or mesh can be imported into the laser etching software
for processing and 3d glass etching.

The camera was developed by a research team from the University of
Northern California in Petaluma. Several Ph.D's in computer science
and optics were involved in its development which took several years.
These cameras are in use in law enforcement, medical, gaming and in
film production.

This camera cost about $5,000 new and was the second generation camera
the company made. Internally it consists of a Kodak digital camera and
a grating projector mounted in a sturdy base and enclosure. It comes
with two strobe lights and a high quality foam lined flight case
($300).

The camera works and looks perfectly and it comes with the software
for processing images. They only caveat is that the company is no
longer in business. They went out of business about a year ago. A
technician with the company once told me that all the internal
components are common off the shelf parts that can be purchased from
any electronic supply (connectors, switches etc) there are no
proprietary parts inside. As I said the Camera is or was made by Kodak
(DC260) so it can be replaced if need be. These cameras last for
years. With the aforementioned caveat I am pricing the camera
accordingly. Cameras by other manufacturors with this precision can
cost over $20,000 (Minolta & Inspeck). I have priced the camera at
$1,700. I will consider reasonable offers. I have photos and I can
send you the manual along with a sample image that was captured.

Dan Serra
Digital Mileau Studios Inc.