Horrid bamboo

Old June 27th 06, 07:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default Horrid bamboo

You will remember that DH was having a new pacemaker implanted last
Friday a.m. So, we showed up at the hospital at 6 a.m., me armed with
coffee, the morning paper, two knitting projects and a jacket in case
the hospital was chilly (it usually is).
DH in surgery, me having drunk the coffee and read the paper, (also
popped down to the cafeteria for something to eat), reached for my
knitting. DARN! one size #5 14" aluminum needle missing!! Went back
to the entrance, also back down to the cafeteria, everywhere, no needle
lying around. Oh well, pull out the other project and get busy.
Got home, dh esconced on the couch, raced off to my LYS which is only
five blocks away, dashed in, said to owner "I need a 14" size #5
aluminum needle!" she replied "Aluminum?? You can't even get those
anymore, we have bamboo, rosewood...... " I didn't listen to the rest,
just went over for a bamboo, and she told me "Of course, your gauge will
change". so, got a pair of #5 and one of #4, to be safe.

Decided to use only one bamboo at first, to blend in the two possible
gauges. I HATE IT. Now, I first learned to knit as a child in
Northeast England, and was taught to keep the right hand needle tucked
firmly under my right arm, which leaves the right hand free to
manipulate the yarn. This bamboo, however, is so bendy it has to have
extra pressure from my fingers to keep it in place. Plus, it is only
13" long. It feels as though I am knitting with cooking tools - kabob
skewers or poultry lacing skewers.

I LIKE MY METAL NEEDLES! steel for the fine ones, aluminum for the
thicker ones. BTW, I have NEVER had the knitting slide off the needles
while the work is in progress. If I have thrust them carelessly into
their basket, maybe, but not while working.

Oh well, it will just have to wait until I can get out to the 'burbs to
a big box store. Unfortunately, the Michael's, JoAnns and Hancocks
which have reopened so far are all in very different directions. DH's
eye surgeon has moved his office out to one of the 'burbs, he has a
checkup scheduled for Friday a.m.,and there is a JoAnn's not too far
away, so I shall try there first.

p.s., I am in fact managing to maintain the gauge

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.

Old June 27th 06, 07:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

"Olwyn Mary" wrote in message
[...]

Don't know about JoAnns, but Michael's definitely has aluminum needles.
Good luck,
DA

Old June 27th 06, 08:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

In article ,
Olwyn Mary wrote:
[...]

What's up with her? You can certainly get aluminum needles. It's
the 14" length that's sometimes harder to find. It'll probably turn
up in the yard or the house after you get a replacement.

p.s., I am in fact managing to maintain the gauge

I knew you could do it. :-)

Best wishes to your dh. Mine has a pacemaker also.

=Tamar
Old June 27th 06, 09:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 13:25:24 -0500, Olwyn Mary spun a fine yarn

[...]

That's too bad, Olwyn Mary!
I've found many aluminum needles, all over the place, in fact, I've
gotten rid of loads of them, as I prefer wood and bamboo.
I still have some listed in my de-stash list, maybe we could trade?
Noreen

http://www.lulu.com/content/292418
- - - - -
---
avast! AV: Outbound message clean.
Virus Database (VPS): 0626-1, 06/27/2006
Tested: 6/27/2006 3:19:38 PM
avast! - (c) 1988-2006

Old June 28th 06, 01:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 15:19:37 -0500, YarnWright
wrote:

[...]

snip
Which is your LYS, Olwyn Mary? I just returned to NYC from the ALA
conference in New Orleans and managed to visit the Quarter Stitch and
Garden District Needlework (as well as a great bead store in The
Artist's Market across from the French Market.)

Alison
Old June 28th 06, 01:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Alison wrote:

Which is your LYS, Olwyn Mary? I just returned to NYC from the ALA
conference in New Orleans and managed to visit the Quarter Stitch and
Garden District Needlework (as well as a great bead store in The
Artist's Market across from the French Market.)

Alison

Why didn't you mention you were coming??? I live just 1.5 miles from the
convention center, and could have reminded you also to go to Bette
Bornside Yarns just downriver from the Quarter. She tends to carry more
of the traditional, classic yarns than the other two do, but she started
out as a mail order store and still does a great deal of business that
way. Several folk have gone in there just to check on the stock she
carries, with a view to later ordering.

Folks! If you are coming this way, let me know, OK?? I can even tell
you which hours and days the shops are currently open.

Olwyn Mary in New Orelans.

Old June 28th 06, 01:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Olwyn Mary: I have some extra #5 of the 14 inch aluminum
needles....would you like me to mail them to you. They've barely been
used and look like brand spanking new. E mail me with your addy info
and I can pop them in the mail for you.
Marie and the cats

Old June 28th 06, 06:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

In article , Olwyn Mary
wrote:

[...]

Olwyn, I may have some aluminium knitting needles for you. E-mail me and
let me know what you are looking for.

Els

--
Ja for Jazz and cobra loose the rrrrrrrr

Seeking a source for bamboo sticks Calico Marketplace 2 October 23rd 05 04:02 AM
Working with Bamboo? Phylis Maurer Needlework 1 April 28th 05 04:14 PM
Considerations about bamboo hook and bullion stitch Anna MCM Yarn 5 September 18th 04 06:22 PM
bamboo hooks Anna MCM Yarn 11 September 12th 04 06:40 PM
Update on the horrid calculator situation! Su/Cutworks Beads 19 August 18th 04 04:27 PM